Back-up plan needed for music stored on a NAS...

People say "Back up, back up, back up"

I'm feeling vulnerable having almost 8,000 albums stored on a NAS set up in RAID 1. That's both drives in the NAS share identical data. 

I feel as though I need to have a copy of all my music stored on another device too. Cost, obviously, is a contributory factor in how I'd like to achieve this.

I'd thought of buying an external hard drive and simply connecting it to my NAS and copying everything from it to the hard drive. That, however becomes a pain when I start adding more and more music to the NAS. What I'd really like is a hard drive or whatever that I can connect to the NAS which simply updates itself at scheduled times without input from me to update music that gets added to the NAS.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I'd best go about this? What is everyone else using to back-up digital music files?

My NAS is a Synology DS218j.

Mike.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many thanks to everyone who's offered help in my quest for a perfect backup. @JensA @TheFlash @jarvis @Solanum I'd like to say that I'm now delighted in having one 6TB external hard drive almost

Thanks @Solanum I really appreciate your kind help. Unfortunately I am not computer literate and to be honest wouldn't know where to begin with inputting code as you describe. For me shells are for ei

rsync Your NAS will be running linux (I use QNAP, but I am sure Synology is the same) and it is the simplest and best tool and does exactly what you want. Make sure ssh service is enabled in

Posted Images

I use a QNAP TS 251 - 2 bay wd red and the configuration is as yours - the identical data is stored on each of the two drives. I use the built in QNAP back up programme to run two separate back ups to off board hard drives (one LaCie, one WD). They are on weekly data back up  - one on a Wednesday and one on a Sunday (no particular reason for picking these two days other than they are nicely spaced). I still have the ultimate back up - which is all of the CDs! (I don't buy downloadable material).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

People say "Back up, back up, back up"

I'm feeling vulnerable having almost 8,000 albums stored on a NAS set up in RAID 1. That's both drives in the NAS share identical data. 

I feel as though I need to have a copy of all my music stored on another device too. Cost, obviously, is a contributory factor in how I'd like to achieve this.

I'd thought of buying an external hard drive and simply connecting it to my NAS and copying everything from it to the hard drive. That, however becomes a pain when I start adding more and more music to the NAS. What I'd really like is a hard drive or whatever that I can connect to the NAS which simply updates itself at scheduled times without input from me to update music that gets added to the NAS.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I'd best go about this? What is everyone else using to back-up digital music files?

My NAS is a Synology DS218j.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

In a commercial IT environment, backup best practice is known as "3-2-1", i.e. 3 copies of the data, on 2 different media, at least 1 off-site.

To achieve this I would look at a similar set-up as described by @Dasher. Use the Synology built in backup programme (if compatible with your model) e.g. https://www.synology.com/en-uk/dsm/feature/active_backup_business/overview?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxt39qMfM7wIVh63tCh1wpw07EAAYASAAEgLXT_D_BwE to backup to off-board hard drives, then use either the source CD's (if applicable) as the third, off-site copy. If not applicable, consider cloud backup for the third, off-site copy.

• Like 1

I have a QNAP 251+ with Western Digital Reds, but they are not mirrored. This is to create more storage in the NAS.

‘I back up everything on a Seagate 8TB external drive that is stored in a fire resistant safe, and a second backup off site

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dasher said:

I use a QNAP TS 251 - 2 bay wd red and the configuration is as yours - the identical data is stored on each of the two drives. I use the built in QNAP back up programme to run two separate back ups to off board hard drives (one LaCie, one WD). They are on weekly data back up  - one on a Wednesday and one on a Sunday (no particular reason for picking these two days other than they are nicely spaced). I still have the ultimate back up - which is all of the CDs! (I don't buy downloadable material).

Thanks Dasher. I presume Synology have a similar backup programme. I shall have a look. What do you mean by "off board hard drives"? Are they connected to your NAS by say USB?

1 hour ago, Andyt916 said:

Hi Mike,

In a commercial IT environment, backup best practice is known as "3-2-1", i.e. 3 copies of the data, on 2 different media, at least 1 off-site.

To achieve this I would look at a similar set-up as described by @Dasher. Use the Synology built in backup programme (if compatible with your model) e.g. https://www.synology.com/en-uk/dsm/feature/active_backup_business/overview?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxt39qMfM7wIVh63tCh1wpw07EAAYASAAEgLXT_D_BwE to backup to off-board hard drives, then use either the source CD's (if applicable) as the third, off-site copy. If not applicable, consider cloud backup for the third, off-site copy.

Thanks Andy, unfortunately my Synology DS218j isn't on that compatibility list. I'll take a look at the Synology website for help.

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

I have a QNAP 251+ with Western Digital Reds, but they are not mirrored. This is to create more storage in the NAS.

‘I back up everything on a Seagate 8TB external drive that is stored in a fire resistant safe, and a second backup off site

Thanks Paul. That does sound like the most straight forward way of doing it. One that I'll probably take up in the end. However, I was hoping to find a way of simply plugging in a hard drive into my NAS and having incremental backups performed when new music was added to the NAS. From what Dasher and Andy say above that's possible but when I look at Synology's website all the terminology and acronyms just confuses me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

Thanks Paul. That does sound like the most straight forward way of doing it. One that I'll probably take up in the end. However, I was hoping to find a way of simply plugging in a hard drive into my NAS and having incremental backups performed when new music was added to the NAS. From what Dasher and Andy say above that's possible but when I look at Synology's website all the terminology and acronyms just confuses me.

Perhaps I had different objectives when I set up my NAS and backup for my music.

‘I was concerned about the possibility of my computer being hacked or a lightning strike, and possibly losing everything. By backing up everything onto an external hard drive, that is completely off the web and disconnected from my computer when not in use, only connected to my NAS when I do backups.

I am hoping that I will still have all my music intact if something happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

I was hoping to find a way of simply plugging in a hard drive into my NAS and having incremental backups performed when new music was added to the NAS. From what Dasher and Andy say above that's possible but when I look at Synology's website all the terminology and acronyms just confuses me.

@SnapperMike

Mike, I totally understand your worry about a possible data loss, I feel the same, almost paranoid :P.
Also agree that the Synology guys language is sometimes difficult to translate into something we "normal" people understand..

I have a Synology DS218+ with two mirrored HDDs and very happy with Synology's Hyper Backup Tool, which has all the features you are looking for:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/feature/hyper_backup

I am using Hyperbackup for Cloudbackup (on Synology's C2 service) as well as conventional backup on HDD attached to my Synology via USB.

Even better: Hyper Backup works with your 218j:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-26 um 07.40.42.png

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Thanks Dasher. I presume Synology have a similar backup programme. I shall have a look. What do you mean by "off board hard drives"? Are they connected to your NAS by say USB?

Yes, connected to NAS by USB. My off-site backup is my CD collection. I use similar back-up drives to the one Paul describes.

• Like 1

I tried to ask a similar question a few months ago but cmplicated it by saying I wanted to take the offsite backup with me to my Kendal pad and use it to access my stored music there...

... so this more focused thread is hugely welcome. I use a DS212+ with 2 x 3TB WD Red drives in RAID 1 (mirrored) config. I didn't get around to checking out the backup tool (so huge thanks for the pointer above) as I got stuck on trying to format my 3TB WD MyPassport drive so I could access it elsewhere.

Related question as you guys (a) seem to know what you're talking about and (b) seem to explain stuff in layman's terms (yes, that's two compliments in one sentence, suck them up): what format does my external drive need to be in to work with the Synology Hyper Backup Tool?

Many thanks,

Nigel

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JensA said:

@SnapperMike

Mike, I totally understand your worry about a possible data loss, I feel the same, almost paranoid :P.
Also agree that the Synology guys language is sometimes difficult to translate into something we "normal" people understand..

I have a Synology DS218+ with two mirrored HDDs and very happy with Synology's Hyper Backup Tool, which has all the features you are looking for:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/feature/hyper_backup

I am using Hyperbackup for Cloudbackup (on Synology's C2 service) as well as conventional backup on HDD attached to my Synology via USB.

Even better: Hyper Backup works with your 218j:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-26 um 07.40.42.png

Many thanks Jens, that's excellent news! I shall order a new external hard drive and get to work. 

2 hours ago, TheFlash said:

what format does my external drive need to be in to work with the Synology Hyper Backup Tool

Good question Nigel. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can answer!

I have however found this article which describes the external hard drive formatting that a Synology NAS can recognise:

"Synology NAS recognizes the following formats: Btrfsext3ext4FAT32exFATHFSHFS Plus, and NTFS. Any unrecognized external drive will have to be formatted first before being used on the system".

Also, I just read that the FAT32 format doesn't work with files over 4GB but I don't imagine that applies to us with our relatively small individual music files.

I'm a Mac user so I would want to format my external hard drive to a format that both my Synology NAS AND my Mac can recognise. But I can't seem to find a conclusive answer. @JensA are you a Mac user too? If so, which format do you suggest using for the external hard drive?

Thanks, Mike.

59 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

I'm a Mac user so I would want to format my external hard drive to a format that both my Synology NAS AND my Mac can recognise. But I can't seem to find a conclusive answer. @JensA are you a Mac user too? If so, which format do you suggest using for the external hard drive?

@SnapperMike Yes, I am a Mac user. My recommendation (at least this is wa smy solution to the problem):

Buy the exFat extension for Synology (3.99 USD, I know too cheap for a serious LinNerd) and use exFat.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/packages/exFAT

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-26 um 13.11.53.png

• Haha 1