Back-up plan needed for music stored on a NAS...

25 minutes ago, JensA said:

@TheFlash Sorry Nigel, I thought your post was a reference to my remark about LinNerds :P

It's actually not too difficult, Synology have a kind of Appstore called "Package Center" which you can access via your diskstation's web interface, then just go to "all packages" and look for the exFat extension. IIRC you must have a Synology account in order to buy packages.

Here is a screenshot

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-26 um 21.44.56.png

Brilliant! I can see I have only scraped the surface of the whole Synology world...

• Like 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many thanks to everyone who's offered help in my quest for a perfect backup. @JensA @TheFlash @jarvis @Solanum I'd like to say that I'm now delighted in having one 6TB external hard drive almost

Thanks @Solanum I really appreciate your kind help. Unfortunately I am not computer literate and to be honest wouldn't know where to begin with inputting code as you describe. For me shells are for ei

rsync Your NAS will be running linux (I use QNAP, but I am sure Synology is the same) and it is the simplest and best tool and does exactly what you want. Make sure ssh service is enabled in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, aoijin said:

Macs should be able to read and write HFS and HFS+ as it was developed by Apple. (not used for Macs internal disks for a while, but should be able to read them)

HFS+ is more modern.

Very helpful. Thank you aoijin.

15 hours ago, JensA said:

@TheFlash Sorry Nigel, I thought your post was a reference to my remark about LinNerds :P

It's actually not too difficult, Synology have a kind of Appstore called "Package Center" which you can access via your diskstation's web interface, then just go to "all packages" and look for the exFat extension. IIRC you must have a Synology account in order to buy packages.

Here is a screenshot

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-26 um 21.44.56.png

Right, so I'm in the Package Centre and mine looks a very differen layout. I'm on DSM 4.1-2668 which is apparently the latest DSM... but obviously isn't. I'll try to find a way of jumping to 6.2 or whatever and get back to you here. Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Right, so I'm in the Package Centre and mine looks a very differen layout. I'm on DSM 4.1-2668 which is apparently the latest DSM... but obviously isn't. I'll try to find a way of jumping to 6.2 or whatever and get back to you here. Thanks again.

As we can't update a post these days, a quick reply to say I've started the process of updating my DSM through 5 releases! Probably a sensible thing to do anyway.

As you can tell, for a guy who has superficially made his career in "IT", I have a dread of actual operating systems etc

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I have a dread of actual operating systems etc

Haha, me too! But I have absolutely no IT background!

Certainly my DSM is up to date at version 6.2.3 and shows the Hyper Backup and the exFAT apps that @JensA talks about. Highlighted in red here:

Nigel, my new WD external hard drive won't arrive until late next week, so in the meantime I'll look forward to hearing how you get on.

Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 12.54.31.png

• Like 1

Cheers Mike. 3 updates down, 4th in progress. checking access after each one as the first gave me "failed to connect" which in turn gave me palpitations... look and feel changing each time, very pleased all has been straightforward so far.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Cheers Mike. 3 updates down, 4th in progress. checking access after each one as the first gave me "failed to connect" which in turn gave me palpitations... look and feel changing each time, very pleased all has been straightforward so far.

All updates installed, now on 6.2.4. Synology account set up, exFAT purchased, installed and is running. I think I'll do something non-NAS for the rest of the day!

Thanks everyone, hugely helpful.

• Like 2

I use USB hard drives for my collection.  About every two years I buy a new larger drive and give the old drove to a friend as off site backup. 

Other than that I pay $60 a year for a Backblaze subscription, which automatically backs up online.  

Any local backup is likely to suffer the same fate as your original drive, whether power surge, fire, or theft. 

7B53CBE8-BDFA-43E8-8F03-647550611FD4.jpeg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, chickenlogic said:

I use USB hard drives for my collection.  About every two years I buy a new larger drive and give the old drove to a friend as off site backup. 

Other than that I pay $60 a year for a Backblaze subscription, which automatically backs up online.  

Any local backup is likely to suffer the same fate as your original drive, whether power surge, fire, or theft. 

7B53CBE8-BDFA-43E8-8F03-647550611FD4.jpeg

Blimey chickenlogic, 26,800 albums! Yes, I total agree that there should be at least one backup kept off site. Of course that could be in the cloud rather than a hard drive at a different location. I'll look at Backblaze. Is that $60 for all 26,800 albums?

10 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Blimey chickenlogic, 26,800 albums! Yes, I total agree that there should be at least one backup kept off site. Of course that could be in the cloud rather than a hard drive at a different location. I'll look at Backblaze. Is that $60 for all 26,800 albums?

Yes, unlimited storage for one personal computer for $60.  Separate rates for business. 

I was a radio DJ for 9 years so I copied the station collection...

• Like 2

Also, while smaller Backblaze recoveries are free, a larger one has added costs.  So $189 for up to 8Tb and they just mail you a new hard drive with your data.  That’s about the price of a drive anyway though.  

30 minutes ago, chickenlogic said:

Also, while smaller Backblaze recoveries are free, a larger one has added costs.  So $189 for up to 8Tb and they just mail you a new hard drive with your data.  That’s about the price of a drive anyway though.  

Thanks! I've just signed up for their 15 day free trial. It sounds as though you like Backblaze?

44 minutes ago, chickenlogic said:

chickenlogic, from looking at the Backblaze website it appears that any size of downloaded recovery of data is free but for a recovery of data supplied by them on a hard drive the cost is $189. But that is refunded if you return the hard drive. 

I hope I've read that correctly, but certainly looks that way.

20 hours ago, chickenlogic said:

@chickenlogic Thanks for mentioning Backblaze. The 60$ p.a. is really interesting and by far the cheapest cloud backup solution I have seen sofar.
A pity that this applies to PC/Mac (but including any attached USB drives) only, for cloud backup of NAS content they have (for obvious reasons) a different and more expensive scheme.
Still very interesting and it's tempting to keep a copy of my music library attached to my Mac...

5 hours ago, JensA said:

@chickenlogic Thanks for mentioning Backblaze. The 60$ p.a. is really interesting and by far the cheapest cloud backup solution I have seen sofar.
A pity that this applies to PC/Mac (but including any attached USB drives) only, for cloud backup of NAS content they have (for obvious reasons) a different and more expensive scheme.
Still very interesting and it's tempting to keep a copy of my music library attached to my Mac...

@JensA Jens, I've had a look at what's currently available for cloud backup.

It seems that IDrive gets good reviews in the media. Of course I'm dubious of some of these so called 'independent' reviews but IDrive have a cheap deal on at the moment. It's currently $3.48 for a year. Then it seems to be $69.70 per year thereafter...all for a limit of 5TB of data storage. I opted for the 10TB offer that was just $4.98 for the first year.

It seems that a big advantage of IDrive for us with large digital music collections stored on a NAS is that it will backup a NAS too which Backblaze doesn't.

Mike.

https://www.idrive.com/idrive/signup/el/techradar3tb?subtag=trd-gb-9913023248519789000