Back-up plan needed for music stored on a NAS...

Many thanks to everyone who's offered help in my quest for a perfect backup. @JensA @TheFlash @jarvis @Solanum

I'd like to say that I'm now delighted in having one 6TB external hard drive almost full with a Synology Hyper Backup and another 6TB hard drive almost full with a USB Copy of what's on my NAS. 

Hard drives were formatted as exFAT. My Mac can see these just fine.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Many thanks to everyone who's offered help in my quest for a perfect backup. @JensA @TheFlash @jarvis @Solanum

I'd like to say that I'm now delighted in having one 6TB external hard drive almost full with a Synology Hyper Backup and another 6TB hard drive almost full with a USB Copy of what's on my NAS. 

Hard drives were formatted as exFAT. My Mac can see these just fine.

Mike.

Good man! Patience and humility: vastly underrated. :) 

I'm a step or two behind you... which is of course the perfect place to be!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kenilworth said:

Sensible article and important to differentiate between the different types of what we might term 'back-up'.

Might be overkill, but my process (for everything, not just music files) is:

1. have a primary copy on the desktop that I use to rip CDs. This has mirrored RAID (can cope flawlessly with a hard disk failure).
  2. manually sync this to the NAS (also has mirrored RAID, so can cope flawlessly with a hard disk failure), with checks on the sync process (files not accidentally deleted etc.).
  3. additional manually sync (with checks) to an external hard disk, which I take with me when on extended trips or evacuating due to bushfire risk etc.).
  4. auto sync of 'back-up' files (e.g. zips of purchased hi-res files - I consider my CDs as back-ups of the CDs and replaceable, so don't bother with them) from the NAS to Dropbox (paid service).

The manual syncs are done with a script (using rsync) and literally take just a couple of minutes of my time when I do them. I don't auto sync due to the risk of file loss.

So, strictly I don't have 'back-ups' per se as I don't have incremental file changes stored anywhere (thus the manual checks on sync, as I am at risk of propagating accidental file loss through all my storages), but I am pretty well covered for any eventuality.

I should use a true back-up (incremental changes stored in cloud), but it requires unlimited file storage and I don't have that offsite.

Edited by Solanum

This thread has been extremely helpful in nudging me to action after years of procrastination...

I thought I should update you on my cunning plan if not on actual execution yet. All ingredients in place except time and courage (mainly time, honest!).

Current system: Synology DS212+ with 2 x WD 3TB in RAID 1 mirrored config giving the (+) @Solanum mentions re disk failure, though obviously also giving me the (-) of 3TB not 6TB of capacity.

Step 1: bought a WD MyBook Duo as per earlier post, knowing that inside it were 2 x CMR (not SMR) WD Red 6TB.

Subsequent steps: I've taken the plunge and

a) bought a Synology DS220+
b) bought 2 x WD Red 10TB, used off eBay
c) Installed (b) into (a) and all is up and running, no data yet transferred

The Cunning Plan

• Copy all of my primary data from the DS212/3TB to DS220/10TB
    • I currently have some back up copies of other stuff on there too, plus use this for Time Machine backups
    • possibly, as an interim step, all data if this makes the rest of the process easier and/or safer
  • Somehow, and this is where more knowledgeable wammers might be able to assist (I'll shout), install 6TB drives into DS212
    • in RAID 0 to give 12TB of storage
  • Install DS212 "offsite" in stable outbuilding which is 60m from house and already wifi-enabled for wife's yoga room
  • Configure all Time Machines to use DS212
  • Configure Hyper Backup to use DS212
  • Transfer all remaining non-primary info to DS212
  • Sell WD MyBook Duo with 2 x WD Red 3TB

I want to end up with

• DS220/10TB acting as an extension of our computers only, holding only primary data including music
  • DS212/12TB for all backups, effectively offsite

I'm away for a few days but will keep you posted.

Thanks for being there!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

I would consider JBOD instead of Raid 0.

Same result in terms of space but in case of disk failure very likely only one disk needs to be restored. RAID0 has higher write rates (doesn’t matter here) but is writing on both disks while JBOD will write sequentially.

Thanks. Note to self to do some googling!

I don’t have a NAS as such, rather it’s an HP Microserver running Windows 10, with an SSD for the OS, and five HDDs, three of which are 4TB, the others 2TB. I use Windows 10’s  Storage Spaces which is, I guess, a version of RAID 5, but which allows a mixture of drive capacities. 
I use this as backup for music and documents etc., with Ashampoo Backup Pro 14, and as a PLEX server, and it runs well. I also have the data in two other places locally, and in the cloud with BackBlaze, which is a service I moved to after CrashPlan changed their business model a few years back. 
Backups are run automatically (I need this as I can be very forgetful!) and I’m very happy with the setup.

Mick

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been hugely helpful. If anyone with Synology experience has the patience to take me through some system reconfig stuff one step at a time, I'd hugely appreciate your contributions over here: