Not so impressed with only two Exakt ports with 5.1 and lp12 this is limiting 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it amusing to observe all of the complaints and criticism being leveled against Linn, and very little seeming support from anyone other than the usual suspects. With respect to the complai

Hi Interesting to watch and great to see some of my friends at Linn Products (haven't seen anyone for years). I had previously speculated (both on the old Linn forum and directly to other Linn ow

My neighbour has owned both Ferrari & McLaren. I did ask him if he was going to upgrade to a nice quiet electric car. Personally, I’d sooner own a top Linn system than an expensive car and can’t u

Posted Images

Sorry Great to have you back Brian

10 hours ago, Nrwatson said:

Not so impressed with only two Exakt ports with 5.1 and lp12 this is limiting 

The KDSM has always just had 2 exakt links while the hub dropping the analogue outs added an extra 2 links as it had the space. With the new layout for the Organik hub they have just removed the DAC board and press out on the top “board” and stuck with 2 exakt ports as the digital board on the bottom is the same for hub and dsm. I assume at some point then Linn will offer the DAC as an upgrade for the hub. 

you can still daisy chain for 5.1/7.1 but yes with Urika in 1 you just have 1 to a speaker or other exakt device but it is enough as this is how I run 5.1. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

The KDSM has always just had 2 exakt links while the hub dropping the analogue outs added an extra 2 links as it had the space. With the new layout for the Organik hub they have just removed the DAC board and press out on the top “board” and stuck with 2 exakt ports as the digital board on the bottom is the same for hub and dsm. I assume at some point then Linn will offer the DAC as an upgrade for the hub. 

you can still daisy chain for 5.1/7.1 but yes with Urika in 1 you just have 1 to a speaker or other exakt device but it is enough as this is how I run 5.1. 

When I tried exakt into front speakers it sounded better with separate rather daisy chaining that was some time ago presume you run the exakt sub off the exakt box which inturn you run from the front speaker 

Just watched the Linn launch “LinnCast” for the first time.

I thought it was okay and I liked the fact that people from the different design teams spoke about the new product.

The price for the new Klimax DSM is far beyond what I would be prepared or am able to pay but I hope Linn find willing buyers such that they are successful.

I have a Klimax DS1 and had hoped to upgrade it to Katalyst but this is not now an option. It will be interesting to see if at some stage there is an Organik upgrade option for existing Klimax DS owners.

Great to see a post from Brian - have missed his insightful posts and dry humour.

• Like 2
On 27/03/2021 at 17:43, macfan said:

I predict they will sell fewer units than Ferrari or McLaren will sell in cars year over year. 

My neighbour has owned both Ferrari & McLaren. I did ask him if he was going to upgrade to a nice quiet electric car. Personally, I’d sooner own a top Linn system than an expensive car and can’t understand his passion for tin boxes on wheels that make a dreadful noise when he starts them up and totally disrupts my enjoyment of the latest Napalm Death album. 

So although you are probably right, I hope more folk invest in a great music system than noisy cars. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
31 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I confess guilty, my money will go elsewhere (992 is due in July) but no longer to Linn. They got enough of mine (if only they were so kind to finally repair the Klimax hub).

Me too - I'll be taking a traded-in 991 this year as you guys move to 992s!  I'm intending to enjoy the last few years of extracting low-mid bass from a petrol engine!

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

I confess guilty, my money will go elsewhere (992 is due in July) but no longer to Linn. They got enough of mine (if only they were so kind to finally repair the Klimax hub).

I can understand your attitude. I’ve no interest in the new KDSM range and really don’t like the styling anyway. My interest lies in the Organik upgrade to the 350s, but my current attitude is “How much? For two circuit boards?”. My current reluctance (which I fully expect to wane over time and disappear when I hear the upgrade) is that it’s into the price bracket where it has to compete with other things I may consider. For instance, I’ve no interest in expensive cars, my current runabout is now five years old with only 13000 miles on the clock, so am not considering a change, but that money could easily go towards the Tesla I see on the horizon. I have been passionate about Linn products for 40+ years, now, it’s becoming more like enthusiasm. 

Perhaps it’s an age thing...

’troll

• Like 1

Same here, that was my thought before I finally upgraded to Katalyst: „How much? For two circuit boards?“

I consider my system good enough and further improvements way to expansive for the relative little benefit.

I give credit to Tesla for disrupting the automotive sector but I dislike their build quality. As pure electric is still a no-go for us due to infrastructure we got ourselves a nice plug-in hybrid as first car last month, my second has always been a convertible - I guess this will be the final one though - also an age thing...

14 hours ago, Nrwatson said:

When I tried exakt into front speakers it sounded better with separate rather daisy chaining that was some time ago presume you run the exakt sub off the exakt box which inturn you run from the front speaker 

Yes with only ever having had 2 exakt sockets went KDSM to exakt sub to speakers to exaktbox at the end. Will have to have a play if order makes a difference. 

@Moomintroll and @Baba Yaga the 350 upgrade at £10.8K is not cheap but I guess it is 2 exakt boxes worth of DACS hence price.  No Linn discount and I guess they keep the Kat boards as well. 😕

48 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

…the 350 upgrade at £10.8K is not cheap but I guess it is 2 exakt boxes worth of DACS hence price.  No Linn discount and I guess they keep the Kat boards as well. 😕

Is that price per ‘speaker or per pair?

55 minutes ago, MickC said:

Is that price per ‘speaker or per pair?

Hi Mick that is for the pair.  It is an “in the field” upgrade so can be done in situ which is good news. Just need the hear Organik to see what it is about once April 12th comes round.  Lead time is May if button pressed. 

• Like 2
On 27/03/2021 at 13:43, Moomintroll said:

Hi Briain, nice to know you are OK. The edit button has gone walkabout - hopefully a temporary glitch.

’troll

Hi

All good here, thank you! I've been shielding my old mum for the last 12 months (and she sleeps in the lounge all day) so the only chance I have to play music is when I'm making dinner (the Klimax system's been used about twice in the past 12 months and the Akurate system has been switched off for over a year). The attached photo shows my latest Hi-Fi system (typically playing the Amazon 90s dance music channel) and though there's no SO to tweak it, I have carefully tuned it by optimising the position and - of course - by optimising the quantity of soap powder in its stand (I'm pretty sure that Phil Budd explained all about optimising soap box speaker stands on the old Linn forum; if not, he really should have). ;) :D 

BriainKitchenHiFI.jpeg.8010c16c39ca9b6fbb8fb591b69cce2a.jpeg

I should add that yes, I have since washed the floor (and that it ruined the sound quality).

Bri :) 

PS I do have some Linn ceiling speakers - which I'll eventually install - but I'm pondering just getting an Audio Pro Addon C5A (the version with Alexa built-in) and plonking it atop the fridge as a 'stop gap' solution. I've never heard one, but I'd be reasonably confident that it'll better a series one Echo.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Jail4CEOs2 changed the title to Linn's new Organik DAC