New Linn Klimax DSM.... I nearly fell off my chair!

14 hours ago, Viven said:

This is correct.

What's up with people here moaning about how much  Linn are charging, it looks incredibly well made and if they think they can sell it for £30,000 pounds well good look to them. 

If you can't afford it then don't buy it. If you can't justify the price don't buy it. I would a Porsche 911 but I can't afford one but I don't moan about the price.

Another user on here was moaning about an LP for sale on eBay being ridiculously prided, why if it's not worth the money to you personally don't buy it. Linn arnt forcing anyone at gunpoint to purchase it. Also I wonder how many on here would buy the old one for £15,000?

People just want to moan about something.

Cars new, generally cost around £20k-£30k, so a Porsche at £80k is not that excessive. Streamers cost around £500-£2,000, so £30k does seem a lot extra. I wonder if it sounds any better, some people can hear a difference between streamers anyway.  Even a lot of Linn owners are complaining about the high price.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you pay £30k, the very least you want, is 2 front feet. 

Only about 25k overpriced I guess 

I watched the launch live, there were 162 watching and as soon as the mentioned the price, half left. How on earth can this be nearly twice as much as the last model. Seriously!!

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Viven said:

Why so?

Genuine question.

Because pride of ownership and common sense don’t always come together.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Cars new, generally cost around £20k-£30k, so a Porsche at £80k is not that excessive. Streamers cost around £500-£2,000, so £30k does seem a lot extra. I wonder if it sounds any better, some people can hear a difference between streamers anyway.  Even a lot of Linn owners are complaining about the high price.

At least the interior of the new C Class has merited is 5% increase! It also has 4 feet 😊

considerably more money goes into a development of a car than any Hifi 

DCF83F6F-A6C3-4372-AA04-A5DAEEBEEB06.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I don't really have a problem with Linn bringing out a new model at £30k, as long as existing owners don't have to buy it, when they replace their existing £15k product. They may gain new customers but they are in danger of losing existing ones. Maybe Linn will launch another new streamer to fill the gap between the Akurate at £7.5k and this one at £30k.

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

Streamers cost around £500-£2,000, so £30k does seem a lot extra.

It isn’t correct, streamers from Esoteric, Naim, DCS cost above 10k up to 30k at least 

Thing is...

It’s not about what is out there and how much, it’s about a direct replacement at twice the price. That was what this thread was all about. 👍🏻

28 minutes ago, mac72 said:

It isn’t correct, streamers from Esoteric, Naim, DCS cost above 10k up to 30k at least 

Yes but generally they fall into that range, sure there are cheaper and more expensive ones. Just like cars you can buy one for £10k or £200k if you want. I bet the % of streamers sold over £2k is very small proportion.

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

At least the interior of the new C Class has merited is 5% increase! It also has 4 feet 😊

considerably more money goes into a development of a car than any Hifi 

DCF83F6F-A6C3-4372-AA04-A5DAEEBEEB06.jpeg

Looks like a PlayStation. The lack of simple physical control is a real concern. #slowcarcrashimminent

TVR used to spend less on the design of a whole new model than BMW/Mercedes spend on market research for a new dashboard. 

• Upvote 1

Back on topic plenty of rich people who will buy without demoing it. 

1 minute ago, DomT said:

Looks like a PlayStation. The lack of simple physical control is a real concern. #slowcarcrashimminent

TVR used to spend less on the design of a whole new model than BMW/Mercedes spend on market research for a new dashboard. 

It’s the way of the world now Dom. There is a hell of a lot more engineering gone into what you can’t see. 

18 minutes ago, DomT said:

The budget for a new model at TVR in about 2003 was half a million.....

My personal view is most companies charge what they think they think their customers will bear.  If component wise the cost is sub £1000 which it surely must be then every 24 units sold is a million quid!

23 minutes ago, radiant red said:

It’s the way of the world now Dom. There is a hell of a lot more engineering gone into what you can’t see. 

My sister has a screen like that in her Volvo which is why I change heating controls whilst she is driving. When she tries she can’t find the heating or can’t do it right and keeps looking at the screen and swerving all over the road. But she has a lot of airbags. Seriously dangerous. A bit like a new align streamer at £30k. 

3 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

My personal view is most companies charge what they think they think their customers will bear.  If component wise the cost is sub £1000 which it surely must be then every 24 units sold is a million quid!

That’s what I read. The same as a new BMW dashboard at the time. Maybe 15 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, DomT said:

My sister has a screen like that in her Volvo which is why I change heating controls whilst she is driving. When she tries she can’t find the heating or can’t do it right and keeps looking at the screen and swerving all over the road. But she has a lot of airbags. Seriously dangerous. A bit like a new align streamer at £30k. 

Every feature in the car had a command function so you can say “Mercedes set temperature to 22c” or “Turn on drivers heated seat” or “play radio 2” or Directions to say a postcode... etc

You don’t need to touch anything whilst driving except steering and stalks so I would say it’s safer than tuning in the radio of old don’t you ? 

• Like 1