Hi, i would replace the Magic DSM with Akurate Hub (or used AEDSM) first. This is a lot more engaging than the Majik. After that the Majik LP12 will work excellent. I still find it more musically enjoying then streaming.

• Like 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Akurate System Hub is in my system now.  I'm probably preaching to the choir here for most of you guys but to my ears this is not a subtle difference.  More clarity, more detail, way better bass. 

In my opinion, more musical. You listen to the source. I would expect a Majik LP12 to be more musical than a Majik DSM.

If you listen to vinyl pressed between say 1950 and 2000, the Majik LP12 will send the Majik DSM packing. Newer reissues and new lp's often suffer from bad pressing quality and the mastering leaves a

On 28/03/2021 at 21:20, akamatsu said:

@Dasher

Agreed. It's the recording/pressing that is the limiting factor. The hifi system just reveals the quality, or lack thereof.

The variation in quality on Tidal and Qobuz is also quite manifest these days. Some albums really shine, others are real dogs.

If you listen to vinyl pressed between say 1950 and 2000, the Majik LP12 will send the Majik DSM packing. Newer reissues and new lp's often suffer from bad pressing quality and the mastering leaves a lot to be desired (there are a few exceptions of course). I have a number of recent lp's that seem to be mastered for listening only via headphones, they really sound abysmal even on a good LP12 compared to most recordings from the 1970's.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

(there are a few exceptions of course)

E.g. the 2018 Kate Bush remasters. Therefore, I have all of them. Also a big fan.

On 28/03/2021 at 12:13, HIGHWAY61 said:

Steve Wilson, singer and go-to record producer/re-masterer of albums/etc. has stated that classical and jazz sound better on CD and pop/rock/blues is best on vinyl soundwise in his opinion.

I don't know what turntable Steve Wilson is referring to. But in my world many old records best their remastered digital twins. With new recordings, which are mostly digital, good high-res (24/96+) are often on par. And then we have the ill manufactured records, which I return immediatelly back to the dealer.

I'm 65, and many of my records are 30+ yrs old. Cracks and pops are no issue to me with most of them. Only on a few very old LPs, the punishment by badly aligned cheap turntables has left marks. But then, these LPs still bring back memories, don't they?

Listening to music via my KRDSM is mainly a matter of convenience to me. But there are many LPs were I prefer the revolutions brought by my LP12. With the current LP12 Majik, one can't go wrong. Lots of pre-loved old records are available from those who have left us, and more will come.

Young people who love music, are given an opportunity to discover forgotten treasures, by owning a turntable and looking for 2nd hand records. You can also dig in your garden to find something valuable, but for most people a turntable is the better option.

Full disclosure: My son's favourite record in his toddler years was a Louis Armstrong / Duke Ellington LP. Great music never gets old.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, akamatsu said:

E.g. the 2018 Kate Bush remasters. Therefore, I have all of them. Also a big fan.

Presumably because Kate herself was involved in the remastering. Steven Wilson's remasterings of Jethro Tull are are also pretty good.

Edited by Tendaberry
spelling
  • Like 1

Does everyone agree with formann that I should first replace the MDSM/3 with an Akurate System Hub or AEDSM, and only after that add a Majik LP12?

Since my MDSM/3 is really just a digital source for the Akurate Exaktbox-I, will it really make an audible difference?

Just now, Tendaberry said:

Presumably because Kate herself was involved in the remastering. Steven Wilson's remastings of Jethro Tull are are also pretty good.

Yes. Kate put the "master" in "remastering."

I really don't know what to make of Steven Wilson remastering other artists work. I assume that the artist has the final say. At least I would hope so.

20 minutes ago, wildwildWes said:

Does everyone agree with formann that I should first replace the MDSM/3 with an Akurate System Hub or AEDSM, and only after that add a Majik LP12?

Since my MDSM/3 is really just a digital source for the Akurate Exaktbox-I, will it really make an audible difference?

Quite some peeps including my local Linn-pusherman dealer claim the ASH is step up as streamer vs the MDSM even in exakt, for me the choice was based on aesthetics. However on the ASH every input and ADC is on Akurate level.

The MDSM has a MM phonostage, the ASH is MC by default, but configurable to MM by a small internal re-work. I’m not sure if the MDSM has this option to. 

You can maybe work out a deal if you buy the ASH and the LP12 at once 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

The MDSM has a MM phonostage, the ASH is MC by default, but configurable to MM by a small internal re-work. I’m not sure if the MDSM has this option to. 

MDSM is MM only out of the box. It can be fitted with an MC stage for about $600. One should avoid MC cartridges for as long as possible.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

One should avoid MC cartridges for as long as possible.

I think that makes perfect sense in the Linniversum, and within at least LP12 component hierarchy. I run my TT with an MM Adikt, choice based on forum advice and self restriction as the TT is still an experiment for me. Another big pro is the ability to change a worn out stylus on the same body.

However, the statement divides opinion strongly within the community, this is at least my observation. There is a crazy amount of MM and MC cartridges, it must me the biggest can of worms in audio. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, wildwildWes said:

I would agree with that. There's an awful lot of that MDS/3 that you have paid for and, if you stay with the Exaktbox-i, will probably never use again. What do you lose? - a couple of analogue inputs and a couple of digital ones too - which is no big deal (unless you are like me and have lots of analogue input requirements - which I doubt).

I'd go even more radical - the MDSM3 that you have.  isn't new, so why shouldn't the ASH also be pre-loved - there's very little to go wrong in there - and you can pick a used one up for almost half the price of a new one.  The ASH phono card is easily re-configured from MC to  MM or even line input (if for example you choose to use your own choice of phono stage). I've not heard the new 'Krane' arm and so have no idea about its suitability for MC but, my advice would be, if buying a new Majik LP12  then stick to MM.You could even save some money by not having an Adikt and going for some flavour of an Audio Technica AT 95.

1 minute ago, Pennypacker said:

I think that makes perfect sense in the Linniversum, and within at least LP12 component hierarchy. I run my TT with an MM Adikt, choice based on forum advice and self restriction as the TT is still an experiment for me. Another big pro is the ability to change a worn out stylus on the same body.

However, the statement divides opinion strongly within the community, this is at least my observation. There is a crazy amount of MM and MC cartridges, it must me the biggest can of worms in audio. 

Our posts crossed!

I agree - cartridges are a very personal choice. I've had many Adikts over the years, but now that we have a choice of Lp12s here, and largely one is often loaded with Jazz and classical - and the other with music with a more emphasised beat (not necessarily just 'rock') we find that we have the MC  on the 'jazz/classical" TT (also the higher spec one) and on the other we run an Ortofon 2M Black as we prefer its presence and delivery to that of an Adikt (in our room).

I certainly wouldn't jump in with MC as my first cartridge. I'd train my ears to vinyl first. The Adikt is also a very subtle cartridge - it's strengths (and it has a lot) are probably better appreciated when coming from something without those fine nuances (hence my AT 95 suggestion).

3 hours ago, wildwildWes said:

I think, this is not an easy one to answer. I agree with others here, that the Adikt MM is a great cartridge, that can give you great listening pleasure for many years to come at low running cost - as in stylus replacement. If you want to improve the Majik LP12, PSU/motor, subchassis, and tonearm, are more important components. A Krystal MC is about the same price as a Lingo 4, which I'd prefer as a next step to improve a Majik LP12. So, an MM input is exactly what you want now!

But then, you are used to listen to digital sources, and the ASH will easily outperform the MDSM here. Try to estimate your expected share of digital vs LP usage, and then go from there. If you have access to a record collection, I'd start with the LP12. Did someone mention source first, here? Bingo! But if you can only listen to 10-20 LPs, the DS might stay you're primary source for quite a while. Then, going ASH first is a viable option. One more thing. Buying pre-loved Linn equipment, may be an alternative to find a good compromise, and go for both. If you have a good Linn dealer, share your plan. Maybe he knows someone with an ASH, who is keen on a KSH, and just needs a trigger?

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your next steps!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

It's great to get your advice guys.  I'll probably start with the Akurate System Hub because my vinyl collection currently consists of 3 records.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Makes sense to me - Why not consider a Rega RP1, Planar 2 or even an RP3 and use that whilst you evaluate / build up your vinyl collection? 

• Upvote 3