9 hours ago, Dasher said:

Makes sense to me - Why not consider a Rega RP1, Planar 2 or even an RP3 and use that whilst you evaluate / build up your vinyl collection? 

Funny, I have the idea that the OP is in the same track as me except one year later. I myself doubted to splash some smaller money on the mentioned TT, but after some demo’s I figured they didn’t keep up with the streamer side of things and would become dust collectors shortly after purchase.

I jumped on a more refined unit, admittedly maybe not much more wiser, but at least comes close and sometimes outperforms the ASH. Being more apples and oranges instead of apples and grapes.

• Like 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Akurate System Hub is in my system now.  I'm probably preaching to the choir here for most of you guys but to my ears this is not a subtle difference.  More clarity, more detail, way better bass. 

In my opinion, more musical. You listen to the source. I would expect a Majik LP12 to be more musical than a Majik DSM.

If you listen to vinyl pressed between say 1950 and 2000, the Majik LP12 will send the Majik DSM packing. Newer reissues and new lp's often suffer from bad pressing quality and the mastering leaves a

On 29/03/2021 at 03:02, wildwildWes said:

Thanks for the ideas guys.  Solanum, don't worry that's not rude; I'm 40 years old.  I listen to classical, jazz, and rock mostly.  Steely Dan is a favourite.  Like akamatsu the sourcerer says I will have to find a way to listen to an LP12.  Another thing I was wondering was whether the Akurate Exaktbox-I would affect the analogueness of the sound coming from the LP12, were I to put one in.  

I use an Exaktbox, as mentioned, it will improve the output to your speakers irrespective of source. What will affect the sound is the A2D in the MDSM. I don't know how it compares to the ADSM, but I doubt it will have more of a negative effect than the Exaktbox has a positive one (if that makes any sense?). The downside of using the A2D in an ADSM VS an analogue passthrough is discernable, but tiny. 

I think others have talked about getting an ADSM first? I would say if you want to improve your system, sure do that, but if you want to listen to vinyl, get an LP12 ASAP...

• Like 1

Yes Dasher I should probably do that.  One thing that intimidates me is the art of the turntable setup.  Are the Planars and Regas easier to set up than the LP12?

47 minutes ago, wildwildWes said:

Yes Dasher I should probably do that.  One thing that intimidates me is the art of the turntable setup.  Are the Planars and Regas easier to set up than the LP12?

Infinitely easier. There really isn't any setup to speak of, at least not compared to the LP12. On that, for a first deck, I would recommend at least a Planar 2.

29 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Infinitely easier. There really isn't any setup to speak of, at least not compared to the LP12. On that, for a first deck, I would recommend at least a Planar 2.

Planer 2 is a nice TT but I doubt it will sound on par with the DSM streamer. It will get the OP started but probably (if it where me) will end up unused as it won’t catch up with the streamer. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Planer 2 is a nice TT but I doubt it will sound on par with the DSM streamer. It will get the OP started but probably (if it where me) will end up unused as it won’t catch up with the streamer. 

That's a very good point, and a point taken from your earlier post. This is something I'd like to investigate on my own. I'm at a disadvantage due to my extreme bias towards vinyl. But I do have a Linn Basik sitting around in need of a cartridge swap. I'd have to change the phono stage in the AEDSM to MM. I'd probably have to de-tune the Basik to have it sound more like a Rega.

My thoughts on this:

The Planars are very easy to set up - in fact the dealer may well set the first cartridge up for you. I agree with Akamatsu - the P2 is probably the entry one really as the P1 is very, very basic.

The RP3 is excellent. My dad has a very nice Axis - it even has my old Akito (2) on it. We had both the Axis and the RP3 side by side and I thought them very similar - if anything the RP3 probably just edged it. Dad also has an LP12 that was bequeathed to him. As received by him, if you heard both the LP12 and the Axis side by side, behind a curtain, you would probably choose the Axis. The LP12 is still in pieces having been stripped back to the plinth (which he is rebuilding (yes, he's rebuilding a plinth)!

So,  if I was picking an interim TT I would go for the RP3. There are lots of upgrades available for it - would I plunge for some -no, not if my goal was the eventually go the LP12 route. I would take the RP3 whilst I collected some media. Is it easy to set up ? Yes, not really any more difficult than a P2.

Is the RP3 on a par with streaming on a MDSM? I have no idea, never compared the two. However, that doesn't really matter to me as I tend not to look for a comparison between the two media. I see vinyl and streaming as two different ways of enjoying  music. What I would say is that the RP3 delivers   music in a seriously enjoyable way. maybe it;'s not an LP12 - but it is 3/4 the price of a Karousel bearing, I wouldn't expect it to be.

My reason for raising this initially had nothing to do with comparison to a streamer - it was all to do with the OPs distinct lack of  a vinyl library - I just think that he will enjoy the LP12 more he has a selection of 50 or so albums to choose from. Maybe the OP has already budgeted £1-2K  on top of the LP12 for media and if so then enjoying it all immediately with the LP12 is the way to go, but if the lp12 budget impacts on the vinyl spend then I would build the first shelf of the library first.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

That's a very good point, and a point taken from your earlier post. This is something I'd like to investigate on my own. I'm at a disadvantage due to my extreme bias towards vinyl. But I do have a Linn Basik sitting around in need of a cartridge swap. I'd have to change the phono stage in the AEDSM to MM. I'd probably have to de-tune the Basik to have it sound more like a Rega.

If you have a Basik with a Basik + then you've no need to detune it - a new RP3 would eat it for breakfast :)

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Dasher said:

My thoughts on this:

The Planars are very easy to set up - in fact the dealer may well set the first cartridge up for you. I agree with Akamatsu - the P2 is probably the entry one really as the P1 is very, very basic.

The RP3 is excellent. My dad has a very nice Axis - it even has my old Akito (2) on it. We had both the Axis and the RP3 side by side and I thought them very similar - if anything the RP3 probably just edged it. Dad also has an LP12 that was bequeathed to him. As received by him, if you heard both the LP12 and the Axis side by side, behind a curtain, you would probably choose the Axis. The LP12 is still in pieces having been stripped back to the plinth (which he is rebuilding (yes, he's rebuilding a plinth)!

So,  if I was picking an interim TT I would go for the RP3. There are lots of upgrades available for it - would I plunge for some -no, not if my goal was the eventually go the LP12 route. I would take the RP3 whilst I collected some media. Is it easy to set up ? Yes, not really any more difficult than a P2.

Is the RP3 on a par with streaming on a MDSM? I have no idea, never compared the two. However, that doesn't really matter to me as I tend not to look for a comparison between the two media. I see vinyl and streaming as two different ways of enjoying  music. What I would say is that the RP3 delivers   music in a seriously enjoyable way. maybe it;'s not an LP12 - but it is 3/4 the price of a Karousel bearing, I wouldn't expect it to be.

My reason for raising this initially had nothing to do with comparison to a streamer - it was all to do with the OPs distinct lack of  a vinyl library - I just think that he will enjoy the LP12 more he has a selection of 50 or so albums to choose from. Maybe the OP has already budgeted £1-2K  on top of the LP12 for media and if so then enjoying it all immediately with the LP12 is the way to go, but if the lp12 budget impacts on the vinyl spend then I would build the first shelf of the library first.

This is exactly inline with my standard recommendation. By a Rega, build a record collection, about 50 or so is quite adequate. Then, if you like it, spring for an LP12 (Majik).

1 minute ago, Dasher said:

If you have a Basik with a Basik + then you've no need to detune it - a new RP3 would eat it for breakfast :)

I have a K18II with a knackered stylus. I bought an AT-95 to replace. Still, I think you are right about the breakfast menu.

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

I really would like to know the outcome of this, it would put some perspective on the different media used.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

I really would like to know the outcome of this, it would put some perspective on the different media used.

Then I will have to proceed sooner rather than later. But you will have to wait for now as I'm in heavy spring gardening mode. :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dasher said:

My thoughts on this:

While I get your point about enjoying music in a different way, for me the jump/experiment to vinyl is about owning records and having the tactile experience of a collection and handling the music. 

I started with a thorens TD160 MKI, had some different carts on it; DL103r and 2M red and W hile all these components are regarded as pretty decent and have their fanbase, the sum of the parts was a big let down to me when listening the same albums via the streamer.

Yes vinyl is different, yes I like handling it, the artwork and the smell, But what’s the use when the SQ is so far off from the baseline? in my case ASH and AEBi. It toke quite a hefty investment to get to a comparable and almost equally enjoyable SQ. I could not justify building a record collection first of let’s say 50 albums when I still had doubt about the SQ. 

Getting in to the vinyl party is quite a learning curve IMHO. 

17 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Getting in to the vinyl party is quite a learning curve IMHO.

I couldn't agree more - I guess that I did that almost like a sponge over a number of decades. If you have come from a base line which was mainly post 1990 exposure then the adjustment is high.

I'm certainly not driving a 'digital vs analogue' debate here - as I listen to both and change at the press of a button on the remote. I also have very close to Master Tape R2R  here - on a  component for component rebuilt Revox - which I cam late to the party win - and had exactly the san]me experience as you describe re   jumping to vinyl. The first time that I played it, I thought "really - is this what Nirvana is really like"?  However, I have chilled back and learned to listen. My feeling is that  how do we discern 'Sound Quality"? and is it different from 'Music Quality'? I think that it is - not necessarily in a 'Tune Dem" sense but just something fundamental. 

There is something though that Akamatsu touched on in a recent thread - and that is the importance of the pressing or the file - it is so important. In fact I think that it is so important that, taking the recent post in this thread, Akamatsu  could take a fantastic pressing, play it on his Basik TT, then take the same album, but from a poor file, play it on the MDSM and declare vinyl a winner - you could reverse this easily and the b=next day have a different outcome.

Jumping in is definitely discovery (I felt exactly the same with the leap of faith to a KRDS  -and it took a long tine to really appreciate what it brings) - but, I agree, it isn't without cost - either financially or in investment in time to listen and learn.

• Like 1