21 hours ago, Dasher said:

Akamatsu  could take a fantastic pressing, play it on his Basik TT, then take the same album, but from a poor file, play it on the MDSM and declare vinyl a winner - you could reverse this easily and the b=next day have a different outcome.

Very true, I touched on that myself in this or another topic.
Pink Floyd-Animals, which I have since 1998, (just checked the receipt in the CD case) is by far my most played album, period. I needed to have it on vinyl, so it was ordered quickly when my TT arrived, much to my surprise it sounds more alive, more clear on vinyl. Most likely since it is a remaster from 2016. 

long story short, if I listen to Animals, it will be on the TT

Edited by Pennypacker
  • Like 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Akurate System Hub is in my system now.  I'm probably preaching to the choir here for most of you guys but to my ears this is not a subtle difference.  More clarity, more detail, way better bass. 

In my opinion, more musical. You listen to the source. I would expect a Majik LP12 to be more musical than a Majik DSM.

If you listen to vinyl pressed between say 1950 and 2000, the Majik LP12 will send the Majik DSM packing. Newer reissues and new lp's often suffer from bad pressing quality and the mastering leaves a

8 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Very true, I touched on that myself in this or another topic.
Pink Floyd-Animals, which I have since 1998, (just checked the receipt in the CD case) is by far my most played album, period. I needed to have it on vinyl, so it was ordered quickly when my TT arrived, much to my surprise it sounds more alive, more clear on vinyl. Most likely since it is a remaster from 2016. 

long story short, if I listen to Animals, it will be in the TT

I know exactly what you mean - mine was bought new and is a first pressing (probably one of the best £2.50 investment that I've ever made)!  - it was played, but fortunately, as I already had a nice stash by then, not played to death - but now it has been transferred to tape and so is in effect preserved!

7 hours ago, wildwildWes said:

Solanum is an analogue passthrough make a system where it's analogue all the way from source to speaker?  Can that happen with a Linn system?

Yeah that's right. The ADSM used to do that, but I think(? - may be wrong) the current version does not. The AEDSM/ASH (which you would use with your Exaktbox-I) does not of course.

When I was deciding which way to go, I borrowed an ADSM from the local dealer and tested what combinations I could. Running the LP12 through the A2D and then D2A (but with all modifications turned off), was very slightly worse than using the analogue only path, but using Exakt and SO with the A2D smashed the analogue only path out of the park.

• Like 1
On 02/04/2021 at 18:20, Solanum said:

Yeah that's right. The ADSM used to do that, but I think(? - may be wrong) the current version does not. The AEDSM/ASH (which you would use with your Exaktbox-I) does not of course.

When I was deciding which way to go, I borrowed an ADSM from the local dealer and tested what combinations I could. Running the LP12 through the A2D and then D2A (but with all modifications turned off), was very slightly worse than using the analogue only path, but using Exakt and SO with the A2D smashed the analogue only path out of the park.

That is good news, and very interesting.

• 1 month later...

The Akurate System Hub is in my system now.  I'm probably preaching to the choir here for most of you guys but to my ears this is not a subtle difference.  More clarity, more detail, way better bass.  This was well worth it, so thanks to those of you who recommended this move.    

• Like 4

Great news now sit down and enjoy 😊