Sauce and Source first. Recent adventures in sound

Recently I traveled to the Linn dealer in Auckland. He is my local dealer and also only Linn dealer in Nz

I picked up my newly Katalysed ADSM

while there of course I listened to his currently set up system an Akubarik exakt fed by a KDSM3

i have to say that I was non plussed , bewildered, probably felt a bit befuddled although I’m used to a touch of befuddlement 

the sound stage had many discrete elements all etched perfectly but some how slightly synthetic a bit like viewing some of the HDR films on my 4K oled  

the dealer proudly told me it sounded much better now that he had applied SO 

I listened to jazz , soul, classical several of my reference tracks and tried to get used to the sound    I’m not sure I want such analytical presentation 

maybe it was the show room and my proximity to the speakers (about 3m away)

subsequent to this I took my Adsm back and set it up with my modest 5125 active ninkas 

wow I am seriously overjoyed with my new sound  even mrs zephyr sat and enjoyed track after track  

so currently it’s autumn here it’s tomato sauce season ($1 for 8kg of tomatoes)  as well as new source season

the house smells like a pickle factory as I’m enjoying thrashing all my old favourites on Katalyst 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations on your new ADSM, and many years of enjoyment ahead.

‘I am glad to hear that it sounds spectacular in your system at home with the Ninkas

15 hours ago, zephyr said:

Recently I traveled to the Linn dealer in Auckland. He is my local dealer and also only Linn dealer in Nz

while there of course I listened to his currently set up system an Akubarik exakt fed by a KDSM3

i have to say that I was non plussed , bewildered, probably felt a bit befuddled although I’m used to a touch of befuddlement 

the sound stage had many discrete elements all etched perfectly but some how slightly synthetic a bit like viewing some of the HDR films on my 4K oled  

I listened to jazz , soul, classical several of my reference tracks and tried to get used to the sound    I’m not sure I want such analytical presentation 

subsequent to this I took my Adsm back and set it up with my modest 5125 active ninkas 

wow I am seriously overjoyed with my new sound  even mrs zephyr sat and enjoyed track after track  

so currently it’s autumn here it’s tomato sauce season ($1 for 8kg of tomatoes)  as well as new source season

the house smells like a pickle factory as I’m enjoying thrashing all my old favourites on Katalyst 

I've never heard a system at a dealer that sounded better than my system at home. It's always better at home. So much of what we experience musically is dictated by the sound we are used to. To me, improvements are much more manifest at home than they were during the demo at the store.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, zephyr said:

Luckily, you're not living in Bluff. Nothing against that town and its people. I enjoyed a lot of hospitality there in my student years (1979) when I was involved in a fisheries research project on board FMS Wesermünde. But it must be an awful ride from there, just to see the next Linn dealer 😉

Great to have you here. Enjoy the sauce and the source!

• Like 1

I've never heard a system at a dealer that sounded better than my system at home. It's always better at home. So much of what we experience musically is dictated by the sound we are used to. To me, improvements are much more manifest at home than they were during the demo at the store.

Yes good point. Damn now you have me thinking. What if I just bring that system home and carefully provide the exact space for it!
I’m sure I could definitely make it sound better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

Luckily, you're not living in Bluff. Nothing against that town and its people. I enjoyed a lot of hospitality there in my student years (1979) when I was involved in a fisheries research project on board FMS Wesermünde. But it must be an awful ride from there, just to see the next Linn dealer
Great to have you here. Enjoy the sauce and the source!

Yes as we say here they are rough and tough and they come from bluff. I’m enjoying wonderful oysters from bluff. They are in season my original Linn system came from someone down there. I’m very grateful they started me on the crazy Linn journey.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zephyr said:

17 hours ago, zephyr said:

10 minutes ago, zephyr said:

I'm pretty sure you can. I have very experienced dealer, and as we are same age, same university, and at least some same lecture courses, he is willing to spend an awful lot of time at my home, tweaking my system. From a long session of setting up SOv1, I'm pretty sure that we hear and prefer the same things.

When I started my journey of discovery with SOv2, the SOv1 setting were my beacon, and benchmark. It took me quite some time to best the v1 settings, and even more to reach a level of confidence, where I don't feel tempted to try another tweak. I havent touched the settings for more than 3 months now, as I'm happy. But its hard to believe for me, that a dealer can bite off enough time from his other duties, to go through the iterations of sound optimization. It's easy to improve the sound with SO2 vs no SO at all. But tweaking it to the optimum takes a lot of time, and devotion. We better do this ourselves!

• Upvote 1

Yes I have played around with both the SO systems heaps and anally measured my room with laser etc shifted speakers to ideal and listened
SO2 made a great difference probably partly because I could put in my irregular room dimensions but the algorithm is superior as well
With my new katalyst I have just left all my setup the same apart from changing the speakers orientation to have no toe in. Katalyst then made the soundstage snap into focus. Not sure why. The SO2 settings still have the 5 degrees toe in. I must change that sometime. At present just enjoying the dynamic presentation. 192khz files are especially more dynamic!
Cheers

• Upvote 1

You are lucky: 1 dealer for 5 million people!

We have 6 dealers for 60 million ...

:D

• Haha 1

Yes, the ADSM Kat is a great piece of kit!

Enjoy it!

And please, do a favor to yourself ... try it with SO off!

9_9

M.

Yes I have when I first got it 

it comes alive 

You have reminded me to go and persevere with that option many thanks 🙏 

20 hours ago, zephyr said:

Yes good point. Damn now you have me thinking. What if I just bring that system home and carefully provide the exact space for it!

You definitely could. My Akubariks took about two months to get set up correctly. So there are improvements to be had by having the system in house and tweaking the setup over time. Knowing what I learned, I could perform the setup much faster now.

And you are now clearly happy with them. What system did you have previously?
Comparison??