Sauce and Source first. Recent adventures in sound

34 minutes ago, zephyr said:

And you are now clearly happy with them. What system did you have previously?
Comparison??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previously, I had a pair of 530s. I kept my AEDSM when I got the Akubariks. Klimax LP12 for both 530s and Akubariks.

The Akubariks are better in every way. As good as the 530s are, the Akubariks certainly justify the more than double price.

• Like 1

Great thanks yes I heard the 530s at the dealer. In a different segment of the market to the akubariks. I’m keen to hear akubariks in analogue aktive mode
I hear that the noneaxkt version is hard to come by used.
I’m not convinced by exakt yet. But it’s probably me struggling to adjust to such a precise sound

• Like 1
On 30/03/2021 at 02:39, TooManyCatweazles said:

I'm pretty sure you can. I have very experienced dealer, and as we are same age, same university, and at least some same lecture courses, he is willing to spend an awful lot of time at my home, tweaking my system. From a long session of setting up SOv1, I'm pretty sure that we hear and prefer the same things.

When I started my journey of discovery with SOv2, the SOv1 setting were my beacon, and benchmark. It took me quite some time to best the v1 settings, and even more to reach a level of confidence, where I don't feel tempted to try another tweak. I havent touched the settings for more than 3 months now, as I'm happy. But its hard to believe for me, that a dealer can bite off enough time from his other duties, to go through the iterations of sound optimization. It's easy to improve the sound with SO2 vs no SO at all. But tweaking it to the optimum takes a lot of time, and devotion. We better do this ourselves!

I'm always curious...how long did it take for the dealer to set it up? Did he need to tunedem first?

9 hours ago, zephyr said:

Great thanks yes I heard the 530s at the dealer. In a different segment of the market to the akubariks. I’m keen to hear akubariks in analogue aktive mode
I hear that the noneaxkt version is hard to come by used.
I’m not convinced by exakt yet. But it’s probably me struggling to adjust to such a precise sound

I heard from a dealer that quite a few customers do as I did and go from 530s to Akubariks. I'm glad that I had the experience with the 530s before getting the Akubariks. I set up and Space Optimised my 530s myself, and had no prior experience with SO. Learning all this on Akubariks would have been daunting. Just moving them around to find the best location was enough work.

I can't say enough good things about the 530s. They were the perfect system for me to enjoy taking my LP12 to Klimax level. But the Akubariks are in a much higher league.

4 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I'm always curious...how long did it take for the dealer to set it up? Did he need to tunedem first?

Setting up SOv1 took quite a few hours, and yes we used the tunedem method - which I also used myself to find the SOv2 settings later on.

We had the algorithm calculate the SOv1 optimisation as a starting point. But this was not convincing at all, as it damped the room too much by a large amount. We took the resonance frequencies one by one, starting from the deepest one. We moved the frequecies a bit to either side, played with the width of the filter, and its amplitude. We also introduced and tested some custom frequencies, e. g. half the frequency of the lowest calculated mode, and a few which the algorithm missed due to the L-shaped room, that could not be properly modeled in V1. After al, the result was pretty convincing. It took me days of fiddling with SOv2, to come up with a more convincing setting. Interestingly, some of the calculated frequencies did not help at all, while some of the custom modes were really useful.

• Upvote 1
On 29/03/2021 at 23:06, Matteo said:

You are lucky: 1 dealer for 5 million people!

We have 6 dealers for 60 million ...

:D

In the "Kreis" (equates probably to a county) were I'm living we have 1 dealer and a population of ~ 200000. But I prefer to ignore this particular dealer (for a reason), and go to a different one, a good hours drive away from here 🤔

Let's hope for our friends on the other side that the only dealer in NZ is a really good one!

Yes I haven’t really developed a good relationship with him (Linn Nz) yet. but then most of my stuff is not bought new so I’m not much of a customer for him  he has been helpful however often I have to ask several times to get a response  

let’s put it this way. He succeeds in performing a service 😉

• Haha 1

1 in 23,000,000 here, but no Covid so there is that...

No Covid here either and we are due to invite Australia here and have a common bubble! Very interesting times. My katalyst system is just great. I do have a connection issue with my tv. I’ll start a new thread about this.