Possible 2021 upgrade - Majik to Selekt

Well, turns out the new Klimax DSM is a little out of my price range:D

However, I am now feeling it's time to upgrade my trusty little system, which has remained unchanged since 2013.

My plan is to replace the Majik DS and Majik Kontrol with a non-Katalyst Selekt DSM and then later slot in a 6-channel Exaktbox. Getting to Exakt will probably be my last upgrade. I'm assuming that the Selekt, even without Katalyst, will be quite a bit better than my aging Majik duo.

My only thought is that my C6100 amp is now 16 years old and perhaps at the same time I should get it serviced/upgraded to Dynamik.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Have you considered going Exakt via an Exaktbox-i?  That's what I have done - ASH and Exaktbox -i. I use Keilidhs and not Ninkas - but in system terms they're not highly different  You could even source a used ASH - it will almost certainly perform the DS function to the same level as  a  Selekt  and will be a fraction of the price. The amps in the Exaktbox-i are good  - I would say at least as good as the 6100 - certainly as good as  the 5125  (which was my benchmark prior to the change).

Oh for the 'Edit' button!

I was about to add:

With the Exaktbox-i you can get Katalyst in the one step. My own Exaktbox-i is non-Katalyst - and still sounds really good - but I will take that step one day.

Selling your 6100 and adding that to what you  would have spent on a Select hub makes the Exaktbox-i (K) about the same spend. Selling your Majik Control and DS should also fund a  used Accurate Hub. This way you get Katalyst early!  You could, at a later date, always replace the 'new to you' ASH  with a Select Hub if you so desired, but you'd only need to do that if you wanted to use some of the expansion facilities of the Selekt Hub (or if you just liked the looks).

Thanks - I have considered using an Exaktbox-I instead of keeping my C6100 to go Exakt. I'm sure I saw something that said the Exaktbox-I might sound better than an older C6100. I guess the proof will be in the listening.

The idea of getting the Selekt is as an upgrade now and then I could decide whether to keep it or trade it in for an ASH for the next step.

Oh for the edit button indeed - your second reply arrived just as I posted my reply, so wanted to add a further comment but couldn't.

That's certainly food for thought, but I'm quite keen on doing this as a two-stage upgrade. I like living with an upgrade for a while and then taking the next step and I think the Selekt DSM could be a suitably large upgrade in its own right.

An ADSM would be a suitably large upgrade too! If you found a good second hand unit you'd achieve your goal too, maybe slightly cheaper, but no wireless or USB connectivity options if that was an interest to you.

I had a 6100D aktiv into Ninkas before I upgraded to my Majik Exaktbox-i, and yes Exakt is an upgrade.  Ninkas will clearly show this upgrade. Are you aktiv? More clarity, larger/deeper image, tighter bass. I would sharpen your pencil and see if you can get the amp Dynamiked and a new streamer. That would probably be the best bang for your buck. That will also make the 6100D a more valuable piece if you decide to go Exaktbox-i to help fund it. Or conversely just eventually add an Akurate Exaktbox 6 this and a 6100D is a fine setup! Don't forget to factor in three pairs of decent RCA interconnects! Katalyst optional. 

Think long and hard before trading away the Ninkas. Do source first, the Ninkas will keep on giving for a long time! Do you have heavy bases for them?

Thanks, that’s another avenue to consider.

No plans to get rid of my Ninkas. I’ve had them for nearly 19 years already (with the upgraded bases) and I love them. They were the first Linn product I bought and the plan is to eventually go Exakt to take them as far as they can go.

All theoretical, but a EABi should be “better” then an C6100 without the Dynamik from an amp perspective. Of course the C6100 has its own PSU when in an audio chain.

AEBi will give you; Exakt, Katalyst and Dynamik all in one go, no need for interlinks, which IMHO should be Linn silvers when In between any exaktbox and amp. OTOH a AEB6 is considered “better” then EABi. 

Did you know a Selekt can also be bought as Hub? Which is cheaper then SDSM. 

Another thing to consider is to add the amp cartridges to the projected SDSM instead of the C6100, you can add 3 amp cartridges to the SDSM and if I’m not mistaken can be configured to run Exakt-aktiv speakers. In that case you could start with 2 cartridges as the Ninkas can run Bi Aktiv and add the third cartridge later on.

Thanks - I'd really only thought about either keeping my current amp or replacing it with an Exaktbox-I when the time comes. Didn't think about the possibility of replacing the C6100 with amp modules inside the Selekt DSM.

7 hours ago, Matteo said:

A Sdsm with 6 ch costs a lot more than ASH+AE-i 

That’s true, in addition you will get a nice shiny box.

I have literally just followed the Exakt/Katalyst step of essentially the same path as you initially proposed. I have added an Exaktbox 10/1 to my existing amps and the uplift to the Majik front end is significant!

The good people on here and my sales person convinced me that the order of ranking of Exakt boxes was Eb6, Eb10 and then Ebi. Neater boards and less competing components was the logic.

Fortunately my Majik DSM/2 already had Exakt outs and eased my process. The 2 variant from 2015 was when Exakt was introduced. But, an Akurate System hub is in my future plans. But, surely this is due a re-box next year to match the new design language of ‘big knob’?...

If going Exakt there is no need for a DSM with a DAC. It is just surplus electronics at this point. So, ASH is a cleaner end solution.

It seems to me that you need a good way to get Exakt outs first.

You could try a similar route of side stepping to a MDSM 2 or 3 and then upgrading to Exakt. Presently an ASH or equivalent older AEDSM have a similar used cost to a MDSM 2 or 3, so not much overall financial cost...

The Akurate DSM’s with a DAC onboard cost somewhat more. But, as others suggest, this could be sold and traded down to a ASH. However, a used ADSM may be a better first step at likely lower cost than a Selekt DSM. Instant upgrade in a longer project...

Difficult to say the best route. It would depend greatly on your planned timescales. Long project vs big spend... I’m 6 years in to my Linn project at a couple of grand a year on average...

As others have said the small steps of C6100 to Dynamik and Linn Silver IC’s can be very rewarding for Aktiv. Silver IC’s were a game changer for me and possibly the most cost effective Linn upgrade. Upgraded in order going down the frequency range. If you later have these and the amps you will likely get funnelled down the reportedly better Eb6 route...

• Like 1