Linn Klimax Organik Poll

Klimax Organik Poll  

182 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, rad1 said:

That would be considerably more than the trade-in price indicated by my (UK) dealer for my 20-month old KDSM/2. In fact, about half of the original price is what was indicated. 

Thanks - that was why I asked!  Somewhere around 50% px wouldn’t be unreasonable in many cases, but with a profit of probably £10,000 upwards riding on a New Generation Klimax he could doubtless be a bit more generous in your case.  
I would venture that a KDSM/2 would be worth more if Linn offered an Organik upgrade option.  I realise they’ll leave that for a few months until sales of the new version have settled. 

• Like 1

AFAIK the Linn supported trade-in values are “up to” £7000 for a Klimax DSM and “up to” £4000 against a Klimax System Hub. Presumably, the “up to” has to account for age and condition.

However, what I was told on Friday is that, as the dealer gets to keep the traded-in device for resale, then they could then offer what they would have done, normally, on top of this figure. 

This, likely, explains why @cspgqqt is paying less than half retail for the new model?

Ive asked my dealer for a price to change, so will see what transpires.

@rad1 I’d certainly make further enquiries.

’troll

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As far as I have heard linn take a profit on the trade in as part of their offer, so the dealer is taking a hit and I guess that is why different dealers may offer more or less. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nopiano said:

So, just to make sure that stays relevant in another currency, does that mean your old Klimax DSM/2 is worth more or less than the original list price when offered in PX?

Correct, I bought my Klimax DSM/2 at full price and I will get back what I paid for it if I decide to go for the Organik.

3 minutes ago, cspgqqt said:

Correct, I bought my Klimax DSM/2 at full price and I will get back what I paid for it if I decide to go for the Organik.

Great, thanks for the clarification!   I think that level of part exchange will encourage others, assuming it’s widely available.   

This post has so many potential pitfalls but I joined this forum to hopefully give a balanced and honest view rather than in an attempt to bag a sale. Aside from me, there are less than half a dozen people (within the UK at least) who either have or are now a Linn retailer and have worked at Linn.

The trade in figures are roughly in line with previous posts (markets will vary) and it is true that both Linn and your retailer are involved in those trade-in/up values.

My view as a retailer is that Linn didn't have to offer the allowance or of course any guidelines at all regarding potential values. Normally this kind of thing would be shouldered by your retailer alone. In my opinion, I am pleased Linn seem to have thought this through more completely.

Again, as a retailer. There are issues with product launches in that we can lock profits into trade-in products to be realised upon sale of the item.

In this case there will be a relatively high number of high value products hitting what is a niche market at pretty much the same time globally. With this, a retailer may well struggle to realise the sale profit if the trade-in items linger.

Following a year or more of inactivity. Retailers will need to turn product into cash efficiently in order to get moving again. If they can't the simple truth is that there will be less retailers.

Your retailer is best placed to discuss individual allowances but for me there is certainly danger attached to having a number of items holding cashflow up and it will be a reality within next 2-3 weeks.

As I say, I am very grateful that Linn have considered this and I personally believe that values are reasonable given that we have to provide the same service as we did during the products original purchase and ongoing.

As an end-user (hate that phrase sorry) most of the above is not and should not be a point of concern for you and we fully understand what is a reasonable expectation to recover as much of the original purchase price as possible. Who wouldn't want to do that.

Of course there are many avenues to offer product for sale privately and my only advice here is to do it quickly before Linn get to a point of steady supply.

Given that KDSM is the highest value single product ever from Linn it feels like treading new ground all over again much like at Karik/Numerik, Kremlin, Klout, Keltik, Keel...blah blah blah.

In summary it feels like we will all feel a little bit in different ways. This is nothing new and our never ending pursuit of perfection rumbles on.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, cspgqqt said:

OK, got it.
For me, the Organik is $17K+plus tax after trading in my DSM/2.

Nice deal! You must be a slightly better customer than me 😉. Also, I didn't buy my KDSM from them, but I'm happy to get $5K more in trade-in than what I paid for a demo unit 4 years ago. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 7ryder said:

I'm happy to get $5K more in trade-in than what I paid for a demo unit 4 years ago. 

Definitely a deal you couldn't refuse! :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Nestor Turton

Appreciate your commentary. I thought I would point out that my comments regarding the raised complaint (which was that dealers have 'given up" with selling Linn) was made from a uniquely American perspective, since that's what I'm intimately familiar with. I suppose I should have clarified it (though subtle references were made).

In a way your commentary speaks to the fact that the issue at hand lies with the consumer as much as it does (if indeed it does) to the dealer or retailer. At some point, consumers began to forget the things we were told (such as "caveat emptor") and instead chose the easier route. If there were more customers such as yourself, there would likely be quite a few more people with Linn HiFi.

• Upvote 1

I voted for the last option as I was never before, and even less likely now, to go to Klimax level. At my time of life (65) Klimax level will be a poor investment, especially at the new price level. Even if I won big on the lottery, the new KDSM would be hard to justify as there is no matching power amp. I would never go down the line of having Exakt speakers as I prefer the option to change speakers if required. In fact, I will be auditioning a pair of Shahinian speakers soon that may well replace my ‘Doriks. If I can get the new DAC in my ADSM in the future at a reasonable price, I may consider it if the reviews from others are good. I have seen a few KDSM’s hitting the second hand market, but not convinced they are priced correctly and for me to consider one would mean I would need Klimax amplification as well or my system is going to look mismatched. I have noticed that most Klimax gear is in silver as well, which is not an option for me as I prefer black. I think I will probably remain at Akurate level for the remainder of my time on this Earth. Maybe there is a Klimax room in heaven.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Billz said:

I voted for the last option as I was never before, and even less likely now, to go to Klimax level. At my time of life (65) Klimax level will be a poor investment, especially at the new price level. Even if I won big on the lottery, the new KDSM would be hard to justify as there is no matching power amp. I would never go down the line of having Exakt speakers as I prefer the option to change speakers if required. In fact, I will be auditioning a pair of Shahinian speakers soon that may well replace my ‘Doriks. If I can get the new DAC in my ADSM in the future at a reasonable price, I may consider it if the reviews from others are good. I have seen a few KDSM’s hitting the second hand market, but not convinced they are priced correctly and for me to consider one would mean I would need Klimax amplification as well or my system is going to look mismatched. I have noticed that most Klimax gear is in silver as well, which is not an option for me as I prefer black. I think I will probably remain at Akurate level for the remainder of my time on this Earth. Maybe there is a Klimax room in heaven.

My KDSM/2 is black (bought used) and Solos and Twins are also available in black. Just have to be patient if you're in the market for used equipment. 

EDIT: or maybe you don't need to be patient - someone is selling their black KDSM and Solos on eBay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linn-Klimax-DSM-2-1-Paar-Linn-Klimax-500-Solo-mit-Dynamik-/224431075865?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Edited by 7ryder

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 7ryder said:

EDIT: or maybe you don't need to be patient - someone is selling their black KDSM and Solos on eBay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linn-Klimax-DSM-2-1-Paar-Linn-Klimax-500-Solo-mit-Dynamik-/224431075865?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

They’re silver.

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Billz said:

At my time of life (65) Klimax level will be a poor investment

I’m a similar age, but I’ve never considered Hifi to be an investment, as long as it lasts and isn’t worthless when I decide to trade in, I’m happy. I buy Hifi for enjoyment. 

‘troll

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Billz said:

Maybe there is a Klimax room in heaven.

If there is, then there’s sure to be one in the other place, too. You just won’t be able to go in…

’troll

• Like 1
  • Haha 3