Jump to content

So what's happened to the Linn upgrade policy?


Recommended Posts

Surely one of the selling points of the new box is that it has space enough to isolate the boards, so hdmi is genuinely not going to impact on performance.

I also got the impression that there was bit of an issue squeezing new stuff in to the old box so an organik KDSM might be unlikely but an Organik Kilmax exakt is easier.

thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just checked the median age of folks on this forum and an actuarial table. On the whole, we don't have two years!

Apologies. I was having a day dream moment when I mentioned profits. I was enjoying ignoring wonderful things like overheads. 'Profit' should be replaced with 'revenue'. It was a lovely moment anyway.

One has to take Linn's marketing statements with some caution. For example,  Linn also never acknowledged that (Akurate case) Radikal, and machined Radikal sound different. The official version has it

1 hour ago, LinnPoverished said:

I also got the impression that there was bit of an issue squeezing new stuff in to the old box so an organik KDSM might be unlikely but an Organik Kilmax exakt is easier.

thoughts?

Seems very likely to be the case. The "old" (ouch) Klimax casing is very nice (=pretty) but also limiting with regard to available space. Always bothered me to see you paid $$$ only to get 2x Exaktlink, one analogue in, and not too many S/PDIFs.... compared to an Akurate at least..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I agree.  So given this and the fact that Hubs and Exakt are the way forward the KDSM is likely now a dead end but the hub/ds and exakt box will continue.   Thais means the ADSM which will be Organik will superced in sound quality and as is upgradeable will hold value better.

it makes sense for 
inn to continue to offer Katalyst upgrades too.  They will get a load back for upgrade so will effectively be free to them.  Nobody would turn down a katalyst upgrade for less than current but with a preloved board.

that means linn can charge say 4K for an Akurate upgrade IF you send katalyst back and 5 if not.

then they resell the k board for say 2.5 instead of the 3.5 current upgrade

i don’t know, just rambling

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the KDSM will always have a market as not everyone is bought into exakt, and Linn know this,  hence why the top of the range Linn device is the New KDSM with Organik 😉 not the new hub. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2021 at 13:31, Music At Home said:

Simon,

When you say if you have no interest in AV, grab the music one, why not grab the AV one anyway if they’re the same price? Presumably the HDMI and associated processing can be shut down when not in use and you never know, the additional connectivity might come in useful in the future if the user chooses.

It seems there are no downsides to choosing the AV one, even if you don’t think you’ll have a use for the extra connectivity.

@Music At Homethanks for your post. The particular part of a much wider thread that you focus on was. as @Moomintrollkindly mentioned, the slightly tongue in cheek bit.

Also included in the thread was mention that once all 3 variants arrived I would spend some time in an attempt to find a real and sensible answer to the question. The reason I said I would do that is because that is not only the the best and most prudent way to offer advice, more that I would prefer to rely on fact when offering my findings than allowing assumption to guide me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2021 at 13:31, Music At Home said:

Simon,

When you say if you have no interest in AV, grab the music one, why not grab the AV one anyway if they’re the same price? Presumably the HDMI and associated processing can be shut down when not in use and you never know, the additional connectivity might come in useful in the future if the user chooses.

It seems there are no downsides to choosing the AV one, even if you don’t think you’ll have a use for the extra connectivity.

@Music At Homethanks for your post. The particular part of a much wider thread that you focus on was. as @Moomintrollkindly mentioned, the slightly tongue in cheek bit.

Also included in the thread was mention that once all 3 variants arrived I would spend some time in an attempt to find a real and sensible answer to the question. The reason I said I would do that is because that is not only the the best and most prudent way to offer advice, more that I would prefer to rely on fact when offering my findings than allowing assumption to guide me.

Edited by Simon at Grammo
repeated post
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2021 at 13:31, Music At Home said:

Simon,

When you say if you have no interest in AV, grab the music one, why not grab the AV one anyway if they’re the same price? Presumably the HDMI and associated processing can be shut down when not in use and you never know, the additional connectivity might come in useful in the future if the user chooses.

It seems there are no downsides to choosing the AV one, even if you don’t think you’ll have a use for the extra connectivity.

@Music At Homethanks for your post. The particular part of a much wider thread that you focus on was. as @Moomintrollkindly mentioned, the slightly tongue in cheek bit.

Also included in the thread was mention that once all 3 variants arrived I would spend some time in an attempt to find a real and sensible answer to the question. The reason I said I would do that is because that is not only the the best and most prudent way to offer advice, more that I would prefer to rely on fact when offering my findings than allowing assumption to guide them.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotcha. I’m looking forward to your reading your findings.

Edited by Music At Home
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2021 at 15:15, Music At Home said:

I notice on the Loud & Clear website, probably on other retailers websites as well as it looks like Linn provided copy, that “the addition of HDMI does not impact audio quality in anyway”.

One has to take Linn's marketing statements with some caution. For example,  Linn also never acknowledged that (Akurate case) Radikal, and machined Radikal sound different. The official version has it, that the different cases are meant to (visually) match the rest of the equipment.

According to this statement, I got things completely wrong? I heard a clear difference, and the machined Radikal so far is the only Klimax case in my system.

It's always better to trust your own ears, before spending your own money*.

*To spend other people's money forums like this offer great opportunities! 😜

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed Linn regarding an upgrade for my Klimax 1. They can do the Katalyst now and will offer an Organik DAC as a retrofittable option in approximately 2 years . 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jaccli said:

I emailed Linn regarding an upgrade for my Klimax 1. They can do the Katalyst now and will offer an Organik DAC as a retrofittable option in approximately 2 years . 

I just checked the median age of folks on this forum and an actuarial table. On the whole, we don't have two years! :D

  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaccli said:

I emailed Linn regarding an upgrade for my Klimax 1. They can do the Katalyst now and will offer an Organik DAC as a retrofittable option in approximately 2 years . 

What about trading it in?

And what about people buying secondhand kit - are they eligible to a rebate when it comes to organik?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Akurate DSM/3 with Katalyst. With Linns latest decicions I‘m worried that it won‘t be upgradable anymore in the future. Time to sell it?

Edited by mbabst
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion it depends where you want to end up. If you are committed to exakt then kat in the DSM is not a big issue as your speakers would become Organik, however if you are using the analogue outs then maybe. I am not sure if or when Organik will come out for Akurate DSM they say a year or more for the Klimax DSM upgrade to Organik but it is unclear.

in summary I think you have plenty of time to kick back and enjoy your DSM3. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...