Good starting price for some proper focals

I remember lusting after these was it the early/mid 90s?

I wonder how much better (if at all) they would sound than say a pair of the 1028be these days. I'm thinking about the way the technology has trickled down, especially the drivers (the W cone material, and the be tweeters now lower down the range may actually be better) but also the way the drivers are directed to the listening seat.

5 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

I remember lusting after these was it the early/mid 90s?

I wonder how much better (if at all) they would sound than say a pair of the 1028be these days. I'm thinking about the way the technology has trickled down, especially the drivers (the W cone material, and the be tweeters now lower down the range may actually be better) but also the way the drivers are directed to the listening seat.

These were focals flagships a while back, to be perfectly honest I don't think they've been bettered. I remember seeing them at a Bristol hi-fi show in the 90s, not these exact speakers but the top of the line Grand Utopias, these speaker just bigger scale, and they were on a big rig! Probably the best hi-fi system I ever heard that, and still is to this day.

I doubt the modern trickle down variants are as good.

The smaller Focal's are kinder to the rest of the system. These will dissect everything in the signal chain, and you will need a large room as they make mine look like dinky toys.

• Like 1

Good luck finding a 30 year old matched bass driver. 

• Upvote 2

One needs a new bass driver anyway, you'll have to factor in quite a bit for that, cant see a bass driver for them being anything near reasonable. Amazing speakers if as Fred says you have the room and rest of the system to match.

You might be surprised about getting a bass driver, I bet they still have those, or even quite possibly still make them. Those drivers are very similar to what is in new utopias. But you'd prob have to buy 2 anyway :(

Might be cheaper and easier to get the driver re-built. 

• Upvote 1

Focal drivers are getting very hard to get hold of for their older stuff. I have a few stashed away, particularly tweeters and they go for a lot of money these days. Getting one of those bass drivers is going to be a big ask.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, moo-fi said:

Getting one of those bass drivers is going to be a big ask.

Probably hence why they are at a low'ish starting cost. They are pretty much exotic speakers to even the most serious of audiophiles.

I had a pair of these about 10-12 years ago. They are very impressive, but they do tend to dominate a room. From memory I paid a fair bit less than £2.5k and mine were perfect condition.

• Like 1
On 02/04/2021 at 19:49, alphatoner said:

I had a pair of these about 10-12 years ago. They are very impressive, but they do tend to dominate a room. From memory I paid a fair bit less than £2.5k and mine were perfect condition.

Do you prefer the Devialet Phantom you now have?

My brother had a pair, kept them 10yrs and sold them for £1800 (I think he paid £5k since they were a little over 1yr old) I think when Focal  brought out the replacement, Scala? the price was £8K so wanting £2.5k and then having to change the bass driver, he's having a laugh. I wouldn't value them more than £800.

1 hour ago, antonio66 said:

My brother had a pair, kept them 10yrs and sold them for £1800 (I think he paid £5k since they were a little over 1yr old) I think when Focal  brought out the replacement, Scala? the price was £8K so wanting £2.5k and then having to change the bass driver, he's having a laugh. I wouldn't value them more than £800.

Maybe you are right. If they were over 20k new they are still long discontinued. 800 would be bottom book though I bet the cabinets are worth that. Id hate to bring my part ex to you if you were a used car dealer :D

Did you enjoy them when your brother owned them btw?