Good starting price for some proper focals

3 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

Maybe you are right. If they were over 20k new they are still long discontinued. 800 would be bottom book though I bet the cabinets are worth that. Id hate to bring my part ex to you if you were a used car dealer :D

Did you enjoy them when your brother owned them btw? 

These speakers were fabulous, I went with him to the demonstration, I think we had already been to two other dems that day, and they were so much better than everything else. Don't forget these speakers will be 20yrs old, they would have depreciated 40% in their first 3 yrs, £800 would be all I would give, and how much for the new driver and repair?

How much would an £8k new car be worth after 20yrs, yes I know they ae not the same but it gives you some idea.  I have always been of the opinion, the prices for 10+ year old hifi is too high, buying a 5yr old amp for £500 and then 5 years later expecting to get your money back.  I've been looking for a Rotel power amp, just a cheaper one, but some of the prices they are asking are more than they were when new!

3 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

Don't forget Eddie these were supposed to be a completely new speaker, forgive me if I'm wrong, my memory is not all that good going back all that time,  the Scala was more expensive, but not £12K+,I believe they went up in price considerably for the 2nd version though.  We did go and dem them at TomTom Audio I remember, they were good but the price difference was too much.  It did take his current Estelon XB's for him to move the Mezzo's on.

The real issue here is can you get a replacement bass unit and if so at what cost ? If these were all working and no issues then even then the asking price is a bit on the high side . With no offer of a repair or even a link to a replacement then way over the top .

7 hours ago, antonio66 said:

These speakers were fabulous, I went with him to the demonstration, I think we had already been to two other dems that day, and they were so much better than everything else. Don't forget these speakers will be 20yrs old, they would have depreciated 40% in their first 3 yrs, £800 would be all I would give, and how much for the new driver and repair?

How much would an £8k new car be worth after 20yrs, yes I know they ae not the same but it gives you some idea.  I have always been of the opinion, the prices for 10+ year old hifi is too high, buying a 5yr old amp for £500 and then 5 years later expecting to get your money back.  I've been looking for a Rotel power amp, just a cheaper one, but some of the prices they are asking are more than they were when new!

True. The second hand market is just daft sometimes with regards to hifi, possibly thanks to eBay. People are asking more than new prices for as you say 20+ year old gear. I've always been of a similar school with hifi if it's used its half price, if it's really old well good luck to you. Trouble is in the high fi world it does not always apply, people will pay whatever they pay. Its certainly different from cars, but as you say there are some similarities.

I think it's a lot of nostalgia that people associated with equipment. And to be fair good sounding equipment is just that regardless of age. If there was something that really floated you boat back then it'll probably do it again.

Good luck finding an amp, you may get lucky but not if the market is steering their price higher in general.

Some serious systems your brother has had by the sounds of it as well. 

2 hours ago, bencat said:

The real issue here is can you get a replacement bass unit and if so at what cost ? If these were all working and no issues then even then the asking price is a bit on the high side . With no offer of a repair or even a link to a replacement then way over the top .

The knackered driver is certainly a concern at any price. Of course if you know how it could still be a great speaker. Not something you can replicate easy this design. Although there was someone on here who took on such a feat. That was bonkers. But 2 and a half grand for not fully working is excessive. 

With the fecked driver, it's really worth nothing like that valuation.  The tweeter you have to experience to know if you can live with the brightness.

On 03/04/2021 at 21:37, eddie-baby said:

Do you prefer the Devialet Phantom you now have?

That's a tough one, I now have a different house & lifestyle. The focals would never work in my current house, even though my listening room at 10m x 7m is actually a bigger room. I've also moved on (and so has technology) from thinking only large volume boxes can produce good bass. Another factor is hearing, mine is now at least 10% worse than when I had the focals. But if I was forced to to make a choice with no compromising factors I believe I would still choose the Phantoms. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, It Cost How Much!?! said:

With the fecked driver, it's really worth nothing like that valuation.  The tweeter you have to experience to know if you can live with the brightness.

Never found the speaker to be over bright, possibly bass could be a little overblown if not given the room to breath.

• Upvote 1

Just had a look at “LeBonCoin” and I can find a pair of new mid range drivers, but no sign of any bass drivers.

7 hours ago, antonio66 said:

Never found the speaker to be over bright, possibly bass could be a little overblown if not given the room to breath.

The over bright issue can be the case for many speakers if system choices are not made carefully. Focals just happen to have ruthlessly revealing tweeters which can put an emphasis on it if you're not careful. 

On 07/04/2021 at 04:45, antonio66 said:

I arranged to borrow a pair when I returned to England, and reviewed them for Hi-Fi Choice in a mini group test alongside the B&W Nautilus 801 and the Ruark Excalibur. I had a fun few weeks alternating between the three very impressive yet quite distinct designs. I've always had a weak spot for 15" bass drivers, and so developed enormous respect for the big B&W. But when I asked myself "Which would you most like to keep?," the answer kept coming up "Mezzo." This had something to do with room size (of which more anon) and my predilection for low, late-night listening levels, goes at least some way toward explaining why an Englishman has ended up reviewing a French loudspeaker in an American magazine.

The bad news is the price. At $13,000/pair, the Mezzo Utopia costs 22% more than the Nautilus 801 in the US, whereas in Britain it's 15% (and in Germany 4%) cheaper. Such surprising discrepancies may well handicap the Mezzo's US sales, but the two designs are sufficiently different to find their own constituencies. The Mezzo might not look like such good perceived value, therefore, but it has its own very special touch of genuine class.

Try buying N801 for £800........

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, woodys69 said:

I arranged to borrow a pair when I returned to England, and reviewed them for Hi-Fi Choice in a mini group test alongside the B&W Nautilus 801 and the Ruark Excalibur. I had a fun few weeks alternating between the three very impressive yet quite distinct designs. I've always had a weak spot for 15" bass drivers, and so developed enormous respect for the big B&W. But when I asked myself "Which would you most like to keep?," the answer kept coming up "Mezzo." This had something to do with room size (of which more anon) and my predilection for low, late-night listening levels, goes at least some way toward explaining why an Englishman has ended up reviewing a French loudspeaker in an American magazine.

The bad news is the price. At $13,000/pair, the Mezzo Utopia costs 22% more than the Nautilus 801 in the US, whereas in Britain it's 15% (and in Germany 4%) cheaper. Such surprising discrepancies may well handicap the Mezzo's US sales, but the two designs are sufficiently different to find their own constituencies. The Mezzo might not look like such good perceived value, therefore, but it has its own very special touch of genuine class.

Very very cool being able to compare those three 👍

7 hours ago, woodys69 said:

I've never said the Focal's were not  a great speaker, they were, my brother kept his for 10/11 yrs, he purchased them for £5700 when the new price was £7200, and they were just over 1 yr old.  This however does not stop them depreciating and a thirty year old pair of speakers do not retain 30%of their original value.  I have no idea about the N801's, but if they were 30 yrs old and the owner still wanted 30% of their original value I would not be purchasing them either.

Whilst in agreement the sellers starting price is unrealistic, your argument is also.

To use your "car" anology, have you seen what even basket case 30-35year old hot hatches (let alone the exotic stuff),are now fetching? In most cases multiple times more than original list price.

Both cars and hifi are an emotional purchase and will realise a price we are willing to pay to fulfill the school boy fantasies!!

How many times have we all felt embarrased telling the "non-believers" what we spend/t on our passions.

• Upvote 2