I think I'm experiencing differences in sound quality based on the chair or seat height.  I'm listening to Majik 140s with the base plates on.  I think sitting lower is better.  Has this been discussed here before?  What are your thoughts?

When you set up Space Optimisation v2 for your Linn system, Linn has the seating height for our ears, as a default of around 92 cm, as I recall.

‘Speakers with a 3K array have a wider dispersion compared to a single tweeter driver, so seating height may not be as critical with the 3K arrays. However, I make sure that my ears are  around 92 cm. I find seating does make a difference to sound quality 

‘The other thing I consider is to make sure my sofa is pulled away from the rear wall, to help mitigate the reflection of the sound waves off the rear wall.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, wildwildWes said:

Would anybody hesitate to put the sweet spot in a sectional couch where you're sitting in the bottom of the U-shape?

No I wouldn’t hesitate. I have it arranged like that. At least a L-shaped one. The sweet  spot must be practical, acceptable for the rest of the family and have comfort as well. 

No, sit where you are comfortable, you’re going to be there quite a lot.

’troll

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 02/04/2021 at 15:46, wildwildWes said:

I think I'm experiencing differences in sound quality based on the chair or seat height.  I'm listening to Majik 140s with the base plates on.  I think sitting lower is better.  Has this been discussed here before?  What are your thoughts?

M140’s do seem to have a rather tight sweet spot.

Our next sofa will be a 3 cushion 3 seater. The sweet spot in in between the cushions of our 2 cushion 3 seater. lol.

Generally speaking your ears want to be level with the 2k array. SO will do something to help here if they are not. However, in Exakt M140’s seem to have a much wider sweet spot than passive or Aktiv. I suspect that is the time of flight magic from Exakt.

Sitting lower you may achieve slightly better coherence with the mid-upper bass driver if not Exakt…