Jump to content

Standard Network Setup But Still Can't Stream...


rabbieb
 Share

Recommended Posts

A new wireless router was the chance to try - yet again - to stream from my Synology DS416j to my Akurate DSM via standard LAN cables using Kazoo. The NAS has Synology's stock OS along with its Media Server and Audio Station installed, both working. Konfig recognises the NAS as my named Synology media server (it didn't previously, so maybe the Windows Network settings weren't correct before). Kazoo registers the NAS name on the "My Music' tile and App Settings lists it under Media Servers tab. The correct subnet address is showing. Room name is right. Clicking My Music gets the "Waiting for room..." spinning wheel but no result. "Playlists" is empty, which makes sense, I haven't created any. 

Been through the Linn Troubleshooting pages and checked various suggestions seen on other threads - got no VPN, no IGMP snooping, no network security or firewall blocks I can find, drives and folders are open and shared, Linn software & firmware up to date, DLNA/UPnP enabled on router and NAS. As I said it's a basic but current home network setup, nothing fancy, no customized settings, functions normally for everything else, it just won't stream.  

Appreciate feedback from anyone using Synology NAS with ADSM. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to clarify are you running the ADSM via a LAN cable to the router?  As if konfig is not seeing the ADSM then it is not on the network.   If it was like my router then because the DSM if T100 you need to go via a switch or something like the power line adaptors which support T100. Direct connection of my router did NOT work. I use Synology NAS with my KDSM. The NAS works fine with the router. 
 

I notice Linn have changed to T1000 for the new DSMs to bring it more up to date with what modern routers support. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Coalboy68 said:

Just to clarify are you running the ADSM via a LAN cable to the router?  As if konfig is not seeing the ADSM then it is not on the network.   If it was like my router then because the DSM if T100 you need to go via a switch or something like the power line adaptors which support T100. Direct connection of my router did NOT work. I use Synology NAS with my KDSM. The NAS works fine with the router. 
 

I notice Linn have changed to T1000 for the new DSMs to bring it more up to date with what modern routers support. 

Yep NAS and ADSM are cabled via router and Konfig registers both devices. Previously had them cabled to a WAP via 10/100/1000 switches, that didn't work, and I now realise Konfig wasn't recognising the NAS media server. I got the new router partly because my old WAP had very basic functions so I couldn't check a lot of the fixes/faults people here suggest e.g. IGMP snooping settings. The router is 10/100/1000 compatible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Heikki said:

What is your DSM Software Version?

(Konfig --> Akurate DSM Configuration --> About)

ADSM is  currently version 4.80.391. 

Synology DSM is their latest version 6.2.4-25556. 

I update all my digital gear as a matter of routine. This non-streaming issue has persisted since 2019. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone got views on the NAS hardware? Synology used various SoC chipsets in their 416 series, mine is a Marvell Armada 38x. I've read here and elsewhere that non-Intel boards sometimes have incompatibilities. Reluctant to upgrade my NAS to get a streaming solution, but I'd rather do that than buy a more expensive, dedicated music server from Naim, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone got views on the NAS hardware? Synology used various SoC chipsets in their 416 series, mine is a Marvell Armada 38x. I've read here and elsewhere that non-Intel boards sometimes have incompatibilities. Reluctant to upgrade my NAS to get a streaming solution, but I'd rather do that than buy a more expensive, dedicated music server from Naim, etc. 

I was using a Syno DS410 for years with the built in media server, until the box died. That was non-Intel; PowerPC, I believe. Now I use a DS415Play (Intel) that has the built in server and Minim and both work.So CPU architecture of the NAS shouldn't be the issue.

EDIT: Better suggestion, have you tried to browse the Synology media server using any other software? Windows Media Player will browse it although it will only show it's own defined menu structure. On an Android phone, BubbleDS is free to try out, limited by play queue length until you buy it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, rabbieb said:

Konfig recognises the NAS as my named Synology media server (it didn't previously, so maybe the Windows Network settings weren't correct before). Kazoo registers the NAS name on the "My Music' tile and App Settings lists it under Media Servers tab

@rabbieb

The good news is that the NAS is being recognized. Also agree with @jarvis that the older Synology shouldn‘t be a problem.

Have you tried another program than Kazoo to access your media library?

In order to ensure that your problem is not Kazoo related you could for example install the trial version of Roon on your PC or Mac. Within the Roon configuration you can point to your media files directory on the NAS).

Just an idea which will not cost you any money and the Roon setup is rather simple.

Jens

Edited by JensA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried minimserver  on your nas

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you use Spotify Connect to stream to your ADSM (set up a free account if you need to)?  Can you view the ADSM via its IP address on a PC/mobile device (on the network)?  You should get a page similar to the Konfig one.

Can you view your ADSM via DLNA?  I can use HiFI Cast on my phone to cast from the phone to the ADSM for example.

If all the above work then there is nothing wrong with your network per se, it's the OpenHome protocol that is getting screwed. Although you may not have IGMP Snooping enabled, the router could still be messing with multicast packets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used a Syno 212J for years until very recently replaced with 220J.  Both use Syno’s Media Server.  No problems streaming with either - rock solid. What are you using as a control point? (Ie what is running Kazoo?) If it’s a PC I would suspect some kind of firewall issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/04/2021 at 17:06, Nrwatson said:

Have you tried minimserver  on your nas

Tried it a while ago with no joy so I tried it again today. Starter Edition installed OK - Kazoo registers the NAS as a media server Minimserver[servername] on the right subnet, but still produces the "waiting for room..." msg. Prefer not to invest in the licenced version just to diagnose what - if any - profile settings might be blocking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/04/2021 at 19:45, Solanum said:

Can you use Spotify Connect to stream to your ADSM (set up a free account if you need to)?  Can you view the ADSM via its IP address on a PC/mobile device (on the network)?  You should get a page similar to the Konfig one.

Can you view your ADSM via DLNA?  I can use HiFI Cast on my phone to cast from the phone to the ADSM for example.

If all the above work then there is nothing wrong with your network per se, it's the OpenHome protocol that is getting screwed. Although you may not have IGMP Snooping enabled, the router could still be messing with multicast packets.

Yes I can access the ADSM from other network devices and I can also browse and playback music files on the NAS using Windows Media Player. Don't and won't use Spotify. 

I will have a look at how the router is treating multicast packets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried to stream music from a different storage to the ADSM? Some routers have a small build-in storage that would be sufficient for a test. 
A music server on the PC should also re recognized.

From what you describe you seem to be quite knowledgeable, so the typical routine power everything down and boot up everything one after another, router first, then NAS, then ADSM was certainly tried. I would also try a different control point like the free Lumin app.

BTW: where is your control point (PC, iPad, Android tablet)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mark57 said:

Used a Syno 212J for years until very recently replaced with 220J.  Both use Syno’s Media Server.  No problems streaming with either - rock solid. What are you using as a control point? (Ie what is running Kazoo?) If it’s a PC I would suspect some kind of firewall issue.

Kazoo is on various devices, mainly a Surface Go, also couple of laptops & couple of NUCs. All use Norton 360. I've searched through its Firewall and Network settings, nothing looks suspect. There are lots of Traffic Rules blocking things, I don't know enough to spot if any of them are a problem, not keen on going through them one at a time to see if things change.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...