Audia Flight or Mark Levinson?

Musical Fidelity's latest offering m8xi, 550 watts per side,  could be a fun amp to consider.

At least it would drive anything you are likely to own:D.

As has been mentioned all amps have a different affect and presentation given their own character and what they are balancing either side of it. Depends on your taste only. 

Edited by hiesteem

I have auditioned the Levinson and Hegel 590 - i have not heard the Audiaflight but it is highly regarded.

To my ears the Levinson had a slightly warmer more luxurious sound than the Hegel which appeared more cold and impersonal by comparison

I found the Levinson more appealing and emotionally involving.

Of course each are system dependant and YMMV depending on taste 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aikidoka said:

Anyone try the Gryphon Diablo 300 against the Pass Labs? The Gryphon has a good reputation and excellent reviews.

I'm listening to mine currently (diablo 300) I have no experience of the pass labs.. I like the Gryphon presentation paired well you need look no further... Its musical, deft, dynamic, involving, articulate, addictive and more... 

American products I have  purchased in the past have mainly tended to have had bit of a sterile presentation.. I dont think the pass labs you are talking about will have it has a very good reputation... I have nearly gone for a boulder amp once or twice obviously expecting a very different presentation to the gryphon.. 

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Like 1
On 05/04/2021 at 07:58, simon g said:

You've got some very nice kit indeed. You obviously take music listening very seriously, as do I. I've had many, many systems over the many years, from a few hundred to £50k at one point. I've enjoyed them all, but some things shine brighter in my aural memory than others! The Orton has a very nice subtleness and tonality about it; the ML is a long way apart from that. If warm running is an issue, then the AF amps are heavily biased to Class A so will run warm/hot, plus use up lots on your electricity bills!

I now use Accuphase. I seriously suggest you audition perhaps an E280, 380, or even one of the class A versions, if funds permit and warm running isn't an issue.They have a real naturalness to their sound. Plus the build quality and attention to detail is second to none. To my mind, a much 'better' proposition to the ML. Elite do indded make it easy to swap kit, but there is a much wider world of supetb audio kit outside of Anstruther!

Good advice on the Accuphase, or if not keen on the looks, maybe Luxman?

Mac

Considering you are using Focal standmounts, I remember seeing a video on YT of JM Lab/Focal Mini Utopia being driven by a valve amp and sounding excellent, sorry cannot remember which brand, but you could consider Prima Luna. I like the suggestions of Accuphase, Luxman, and especially the Diablo, just to make your life more difficult Jeff Rowland make nice intergrated's, just search for Jeff Rowland on ebay.  

• Like 1
On 05/04/2021 at 07:07, simon g said:

Your 'Wam info shows VinninRossi amps with Varsity speakers, which is £40k worth. You're presumably not using an Orton in that system?!

Elite clearly love you, but step back and consider some alternatives. Pass Labs, Accuphase and many others amongst them.

Simon - I've snipped a couple of sentances from your post. 

My guess is that the OP is looking at the Mark Levinson 5802 and this is not too much of a monster.  I had one for a while and also the Accuphase A36 that you suggest may be worth considering by the OP.  In fact I was looking for a good amp to match my Avantgarde speakers, recently upgraded to Duo XDs - £32K - so perhaps a similar price range to the OP's speakers.  After home testing a dozen amps (mostly bought new or used including 2 from Elite, or demo units), I settled for the new NAD M33.  Considerably less costly than the ML or AF and it does much more.  Whilst I liked the ML sound and the (slightly too soft but beautifully designed and built) Accuphase, I enjoyed the NAD sound even more - and I don't need to worry about my electricity bill as it uses the latest Purifi Class D technology.  Other amps were from Benchmark, GamuT, Quad, Bakoon, Valvet, Micromega, Sugden, Lyngdorf and (several years ago) Red Wine and Diavelet.   Peter

Edited by hearhere
  • Like 1

I have been hugely impressed with the Vinnie Rossi and it has more than lived up to its reputation and thought about getting a second one. I like detail, transparency and the soundstage the amplifier creates. I have just noticed an Analog Domain amplifier in classifieds and it has wonderful reviews and seems to offer the power and the transparency coupled with detail. The Focal Utopia Diablo 3 is at 89db.

Thanks again for al o your suggestions nd I have been reading around Accuphase, Luxman, Hegel etc and all are very impressive.

I would certainly have recommended the Audionet Watt over all my other suggestions, just unsure if it was going over budget.

• Like 2

Thank you again and I have already been looking at the integrated amplifiers from Audionet and also the Ypsilon Phaethon. Great views on both makes and if bought second hand quite reasonable. The Analog Domain also appears to compare very favourably being very quiet and powerful with great detail.

• Like 1

If you're looking in this ballpark - wouldn't part with mine for any of the above mentioned amps

• Like 1

I believe I have I narrowed it down to Mark Levinson, Pass Labs INT60, Audionet WATT and potentially the Analog Domain. I will just see what deals are available and would be interested if anyone has auditioned any of these against each other.

Thanks again and it is very much appreciated

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but T & A don't even come close to Audionet, from personal listening experience.