Does anyone use the 4k HDMI switching capabilities in there DSM units. I am considering adding this to my SDSM. The config would be something like this

1. Apple TV to 4k HDMI In
  2. Sony 4k Blu-Ray to HDMI in
  3. Comcast cable to HDMI in
  4. HDMI out to 65" 4k LG G1 OLED or Sony A90J

Not worried about surround decode. Will send stereo down mix to the HDMI inputs. Looking to put switching on SDSM if possible rather then independent runs to the display. Now, if the majority feels the direct runs are better - spend cash on the cables rather than the switching - I can definitely do that as well. This is the way it is now but by higher end Audiquest HDMI cables get expensive and do not come in the needed lengths.

How would you all sent this up>

I have an Akurate Hub, with an LG 4K OLED 65 inch TV, and use the Akurate Hub as my HDMI switch.

‘I use HDMI input 1 for my Blue Curve HD TV box 

I use HDMI input 2 for my OPPO 203 4K BluRay player 

HDMI out goes to my LG 4K OLED TV 

At the moment, I don’t have my Apple TV hooked up, but it would go into HDMI input 3

In Konfig, I turn on HDMI 1 and 2, and attach the appropriate HDMI cables that are HDMI 2.2 spec cables. Then I use the Linn remote to select which source component I want to watch on the TV and do audio.

I found it is very important to use HDMI 2.2 spec cables for the best picture and sound quality. I do not use expensive high end HDMI cables, but purchased my WireLogic 4K/8K cables at Costco, as they are made to meet the 4K/8K spec, and work brilliantly. Cost was $23.00 for 2 X 12 foot HDMI cables

The OPPO 203 decodes everything to PCM 5.1 or 2.0 depending on the source, and the Akurate Hub does all the processing to decide which signals go to which speakers and speaker drivers. 

It is a truly stunning experience.

Edited by Paulssurround

@macfan Yes I’m using the HDMI switch in my ADSM/3. It’s convenient since the sources are closer to the DSM than the display. To be honest I haven’t thought of the other alternative you mention. That would involve ARC from the display to the DSM, right? But if cable quality is the concern one argument in favor of connecting sources to the DSM is shorter runs. And I believe the switch in the DSM is as good as the one in the display.

• Like 1

I used to believe that I could detect a positive difference by connecting sources directly to my display rather than through my KSH. However I recently found myself with too many 4K sources for the number of available 4K inputs on my display and so decided to reconfigure my connections via my KSH. I could not identify any change whatsoever. 

8 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I have an Akurate Hub, with an LG 4K OLED 65 inch TV, and use the Akurate Hub as my HDMI switch.

Wouldn't you need the HDMI 2.0 board to pass through 4K?

I spoke with my dealer today and he said the HDMI 4k switching module is all I would need - especially since I am down mixing to stereo on the way in. The good news is it is not an expensive part. 

I think I will get it ordered along with the longer cable to feed the display. to get everything ready. My shorter length cables are all Audioquest Coffee with the little DBS box on them.

• Like 3
On 05/04/2021 at 02:54, macfan said:

Does anyone use the 4k HDMI switching capabilities in there DSM units. I am considering adding this to my SDSM.

@macfan

The HDMI in- and outputs were one of my main reasons for buying the Majik DSM/2 at the time as I was basically looking for a stereo amp with hdmi.

Although I don't have the 4K upgrade - I am absolutely happy with full HD resolution although our projector has a screen diagonal of 3.50m :D - the HDMI in- and outputs are extremely convenient.

My Setup:

HDMI 1: Apple TV
HDMI 2: Blu ray UHD Player (which I hardly ever use)
HDMI 3: Amazon Fire TV Cube 4K (yes, I know cannot use full 4k)
HDMI 4: Cable TV receiver
All connected with very short HDMI cables (between 0.5m and 1.0m)

HDMI Out: To full HD projector (longer HDMI cable of 7.5m)

Jens

• Like 1
23 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Yes

13 hours ago, macfan said:

I spoke with my dealer today and he said the HDMI 4k switching module is all I would need - especially since I am down mixing to stereo on the way in. The good news is it is not an expensive part. 

I think I will get it ordered along with the longer cable to feed the display. to get everything ready. My shorter length cables are all Audioquest Coffee with the little DBS box on them.

I use Blue Jeans Cables HDMI leads and am very happy with them. They make the cables to the length you request. However, my setup is slightly different: I use HDMI ARC and connect the TV to my ADSM. Other boxes such as Sky Q, Apple TV and Sony BluRay connect to the TV. My dealer helped me set it up that way and it works well. I haven’t compared it against using SPDIF to the ADSM. 

Edited by Nestor Turton
On 05/04/2021 at 07:54, akamatsu said:

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Yes

Then you really ought to get one and enjoy the full potential of your 4K TV.

3 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

I use Blue Jeans Cables HDMI leads and am very happy with them. They make the cables to the length you request. However, my setup is slightly different: I use HDMI ARC and connect the TV to my ADSM. Other boxes such as Sky Q, Apple TV and Sony BluRay connect to the TV. My dealer helped me set it up that way and it works well. I haven’t compared it against using SPDIF to the ADSM. 

I recently spoke with someone at Blue Jeans Cable about HDMI. I said I was using a $25 25 foot HDMI cable from Amazon. I asked if going to their $89 25 foot cable would be worth it. He said if I'm not experiencing dropouts or missing pixels, then "no." If I were to use it for a 4K signal, then maybe "yes." So I stuck with the $25 cable.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I recently spoke with someone at Blue Jeans Cable about HDMI. I said I was using a $25 25 foot HDMI cable from Amazon. I asked if going to their $89 25 foot cable would be worth it. He said if I'm not experiencing dropouts or missing pixels, then "no." If I were to use to 4K signal, then maybe "yes." So I stuck with the $25 cable.

I didn't do any comparison - I just bought the cable. So I probably could have gone cheaper. I'm happy enough though as they are a very good company and I know whatever I buy from them works, which is not always true of some companies that sell much more expensive cables. 

BBC Watchdog did a programme about HDMI cables, unfortunately the clip is no longer available, but the transcript is http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/watchdog/WebScript_HDMI_040614.pdf 

=======================================================

REPORTER: So what’s the difference between the cheap and the expensive?

CURRYS PC WORLD STAFF: Speed of cable and the quality of your image. So every time your Blu-ray is playing and sending information through the cable to television, if it’s a slow cable then sometimes the sound and the image do not synchronise.

CURRYS PC WORLD STAFF: The difference between a £3 HDMI cable and a £150 or £30 or £50 or £70 HDMI cable is quality, okay. If you put a really good HDMI cable in, the quality of the picture is so much better.

CURRYS PC WORLD STAFF: We’ve got the more expensive ones for Blu-Rays, they give you a lot sharper quality picture, or we’ve got the cheaper ones down here. If you connect this up to the TV most of the picture will be missing. So it means that you’re going to get a lot more quality picture and a more detailed picture, as these here are very, very basic.

============================

I liked this salesman best 

CURRYS PC WORLD STAFF: You only need a standard one you don’t need anything more complicated than the cheapest ones that we do.

REPORTER: I just want good picture quality. Does it make any difference?

CURRYS PC WORLD STAFF: It doesn’t make any difference. There are some ridiculously expensive ones but the picture quality is no different. There’s no point in buying them.

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Then you really ought to get one and enjoy the full potential of your 4K TV.

It’s not quite that simple in my setup.

‘I have a newer LG 4K OLED TV, with a 4K OPPO BluRay player, but more than 95% of my TV watching is done through my Shaw Blue Curve HD TV box, feeding a 1080p signal through my Akurate Hub, to the TV.

I have made many improvements to my TV and surround setup since you last visited, and the sound quality and picture quality are light years ahead of what you have seen before at my home. I find my TV picture quality already well exceeds that of the 4K TV setups I see at the dealer showrooms. Given that I rarely watch much 4K content, it is hard to justify spending the money on an HDMI 2.0 board.

‘Perhaps if I upgrade my Akurate Hub in the future, I would ensure that I have an HDMI 2.0 or greater board installed

13 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I recently spoke with someone at Blue Jeans Cable about HDMI. I said I was using a $25 25 foot HDMI cable from Amazon. I asked if going to their $89 25 foot cable would be worth it. He said if I'm not experiencing dropouts or missing pixels, then "no." If I were to use it for a 4K signal, then maybe "yes." So I stuck with the $25 cable.

I think the important factor for HDMI cables is not which brand you purchase, but that it meets the HDMI spec.

I originally used HDMI 1.3 cables, and picture quality was good , but no where near as good as compared to HDMI 2.0 spec. Now I use HDMI 2.2 spec which meets 4K/8K spec. I currently use Wire Logic HDMI 2.2 spec that the manufacturer claims is designed for 4K/8K signals . Picture quality with the 2.2 spec is markedly better than the HDMI 2.0 spec of WireLogic Sapphire cables, which I though were excellent at the time.

‘My current WireLogic 2.2 HDMI cables were purchased at Costco, with 2 cables X 12 feet in the package, for $23.00 Cdn

‘Using HDMI 2.2 cables, even if your system is HDMI .1.3 or 1.4 made a significant improvement in picture and sound in my system

10 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I think the important factor for HDMI cables is not which brand you purchase, but that it meets the HDMI spec.

My $25 cable meets the HDMI spec. So I have met the important factor.

46 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

My $25 cable meets the HDMI spec. So I have met the important factor.

Perhaps, but you may find that the HDMI 2.2 provides a much better picture quality than the HDMI 1.3, 1.4 or 2.0

It certainly does in mine

For some reason, I didn’t think doing a double blind test was appropriate for determining picture quality. 

Edited by Paulssurround