1 minute ago, Paulssurround said:

Perhaps, but you may find that the HDMI 2.2 provides a much better picture quality than the HDMI 1.3, 1.4 or 2.0

It certainly does in mine

As long as the "important factor" is met, I'm good.

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

For some reason, I didn’t think doing a double blind test was appropriate for determining picture quality. 

Uh, the screen isn't what the observer would be blind to. It would be the cable. You would have someone change out cables without you knowing. Then you would write down which cable you think you were experiencing, then compare notes.

This thread is a bit more chatty than I expected. Thanks for chiming in.

I see it both ways. The internal switching in the SDSM would be great but if I am buying a new LG or Sony OLED that supports HDMI 2.1 and the features that brings it might be worth just putting in the cable runs. For example, I read the new Apple TV could support HDMI 2.1 and 120Hz and that Sony will release a 4k Blu-Ray that supports the full spec as well.

However, does that really matter? It might not. I would think 4k Blu-Ray only has only so much life in it and I find my Apple TV to be excellent quality on 4k material. The SDSM being by hub is also very attractive as I am lowering the box count. I could almost go to only an ATV if it were not for live TV which I like to keep on in the background and cable does not eat bandwidth. 

First world problems for sure. 

The main thing that will matter going forward will be the support of eARC. ARC today sends the audio back down the HDMI cable, but is only capable of sending the older compressed audio formats. eARC changes this and allows the sending of all the modern uncompressed audio formats back down the HDMI cable. So, if you support eARC on both ends it probably doesn't matter where you put the kit or how you run cables as you can always route full uncompressed audio back to a processor.