mains cable/kettle lead. Make any difference in sound quality?

hiesteem

I run a good quality CD player and have often wondered about improving the mains interconnect. I wondered if anyone has bothered to do this in their system and how they felt the outcome was.

I'm not overly concerned with cables although I do use solid core interconnect and speaker cable to tune out the bass in my system. 

The kettle lead that was supplied with my Restek CD player  has always amused me in that it wobbles in the three pin CD end.

I find Mark Grant cables good value and good quality, so it can be a cost effective upgrade. 

Interested in opinions?

MCRU have a 30 day money back guarantee. Clearer Audio have a 60 day return period. Mark Grant may have something similar.

Choose one of them, discuss your needs and budget - and try something if interested.

Asking on here will only get you diverging opinions and pages of argument.

My advice - suck it and see....and send it back if not convinced.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 3

Super Wammer

Use your search function you will find a number of previous similar questions and the pages of answers , spend a morning reading through . My view Mark Grant are more than good enough and will be all you need but wait a few minutes and an opposite view will appear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

MCRU have a 30 day money back guarantee. Clearer Audio have a 60 day return period.

Choose one of them, discuss your needs and budget - and try something if interested.

Asking on here will only get you diverging opinions and pages of argument.

My advice - suck it and see....and send it back if not convinced.

This is the best advice.

Now where is my popcorn :pop:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My experience is that if you can hear the difference between analogue interconnects then you may hear a difference. Lots of places to get a no problem 30 day trial eg Futureshop.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, Viven said:

This is the best advice.

Hi....there is a man on here who will make you a mains cable with good quality fittings.  g8ina or something similar ? About £40 I think ?   M.

• Like 1

Sometimes they make a difference, other times they don't. It's always worth a try, even if it's just for the fun of trying out a new toy. 

• Like 2

naming specific cable brand and models might help narrow the vague 'mains cabling' down in future 'cat fights' ... 

Super Wammer

But.......meeeeeooowww ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

naming specific cable brand and models might help narrow the vague 'mains cabling' down in future 'cat fights' ... 

Russ Andrews :minikev: not popular here from what I gather but my powercords from Russ have served me well for over 20 years and were not expensive.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Viven said:

This is the best advice.

Why am I starting to think I have said something contentious:?. After you with the popcorn.......

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, hiesteem said:

Why am I starting to think I have said something contentious:?. After you with the popcorn.......

It just opens a can of worms for the believers and non believers my friend. 

My advice is have a try with one of those trials. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, radiant red said:

It just opens a can of worms for the believers and non believers my friend. 

My advice is have a try with one of those trials. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. 

Oh I see! Thank you for the heads up. Yes I will have a look at MRCU website and perhaps give Mr Grant a call, he's always helpful and I have been impressed with his build quality in the past.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

....and perhaps give Mr Grant a call, he's always helpful and I have been impressed with his build quality in the past.

Just make sure he will accept a return if it's been opened and used....his T&Cs seem to indicate otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiesteem said:

I run a good quality CD player and have often wondered about improving the mains interconnect. I wondered if anyone has bothered to do this in their system and how they felt the outcome was.

I'm not overly concerned with cables although I do use solid core interconnect and speaker cable to tune out the bass in my system. 

The kettle lead that was supplied with my Restek CD player  has always amused me in that it wobbles in the three pin CD end.

I find Mark Grant cables good value and good quality, so it can be a cost effective upgrade. 

Interested in opinions?

For a start you don't want a kettle lead. Kettle leads have an IEC C15 connector at the appliance end. It will fit but it will be loose. You want a lead with an IEC C13 connector at the appliance end.

• Like 1