mains cable/kettle lead. Make any difference in sound quality?

5 minutes ago, ACS said:

For a start you don't want a kettle lead. Kettle leads have an IEC C15 connector at the appliance end. It will fit but it will be loose. You want a lead with an IEC C13 connector at the appliance end.

That's really interesting. It would explain the wobbly connection I have had for the past 23 years:D. iec 13 being a larger pin I guess. 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To save another 17 pages, let me cover the basics: - If you can't hear the difference a good Mains Cable can make....either your hearing is impaired, or your system isn't resolving enough. -

So here we are then not talking about mains cables. Well while we're not on the subject. Back home just 15 mins away from Nick's and I am listening to my system. I have Tidal playing CD (not MQA)

You might be right. @TheFlash has just called round and stood in the cold outside the window to my listening room whilst I played my system (including the Chord Dave).   Nigel said that my syst

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Just make sure he will accept a return if it's been opened and used....his T&Cs seem to indicate otherwise.

Yes thanks I will. I seem to remember he does 30 days. Always found him helpful.

3 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

Yes thanks I will. I seem to remember he does 30 days. Always found him helpful.

He does do 30 days - but on the website, he lists a lot of conditions for return.....I doubt there will be a problem, but worth checking.

• Like 2

If any mains connector is loose, it needs to go in the bin pronto.

The difference between C13 and C15 is temperature rating, not current handling. High-current in C19, where the pins are horizontal, not vertical.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
Just now, CnoEvil said:

He does do 30 days - but on the website, he lists a lot of conditions for return.....I doubt there will be a problem, but worth checking.

Thanks will do. I have one of his solid core interconnects running from DAC to amp and found it preferable to a previous solid core interconnect from The Cord company, so I do consider his use of parts and build extremely good value. I believe his cable was about 50 quid. Bargain really.

1 hour ago, Viven said:

Russ Andrews :minikev: not popular here from what I gather but my powercords from Russ have served me well for over 20 years and were not expensive.

I've used many russ andrews signature mains cables over the years (purchasesd around 8) in many various setups...the last being lavardin it amp with zingali HM 2.8 speakers... I found them to be mechanical sounding - not the enhancement I was looking for..

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, rabski said:

If any mains connector is loose, it needs to go in the bin pronto.

The difference between C13 and C15 is temperature rating, not current handling. High-current in C19, where the pins are horizontal, not vertical.

Thank you, this is great. I am pleased I asked the question now. This issue is something I am learning about and feel it is definitely something I will replace regardless of any other reason. 

Incredible knowledge and experience on this site and everyone so helpful. Thank you.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 2010*zuma said:

I've used many russ andrews signature mains cables over the years (purchasesd around 8) in many various setups...the last being lavardin it amp with zingali HM 2.8 speakers... I found them to be mechanical sounding - not the enhancement I was looking for.. 

Thanks for that feedback . I will probably start with Mark Grant. I do find his previous cable that I am still using very good quality and really well put together.

Please please please mods can you put a section in the Wam  on its own for Cables and Interconnects .. all the claptrap on cables just clogs up the two channel debate .. ends in arguments and bad feelings ....  Now as many seem, to accept that measurements mean nothing and they they can hear and feel differences my suggestion is that you connect the mains cable to the mans and insert a piece of metal in the live socket of the plug for your amp - then hold it in the hand you feel with best and see if you can feel the mains current difference between cables .. that should sort the men from the boys,  

As to measuring - you could get someone to measure the RF and other noise present in the mains at the plug and again at the end of the mains interconnect and this would then prove that there was something beneficial happening and show perhaps a different between mains cables.  Now I have never seen any measurements produced to prove the point .. and my ears have certainly not confirmed any differences between power cables so far in my system..

Edited by uzzy
grammar
  • Upvote 2

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What was the last one, plus 20 pages?

Dude, buy some, second hand, and decide if you like em, and which do or don't work depending upon you opinion.

This question on here is like a hand grenade going off. 

• Haha 1

My recent experiences...

The No 22 kit from MCRU is good value for money. The MS HD plugs are decent quality, fit those with some screen 2.5mm cable like what's in the kit and you're good to go.

• Like 1

Etiquette.. 

15 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

Etiquette.. 

I didn't know they made mains cables :D

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, rabski said:

I didn't know they made mains cables :D

they sound fair to me... 🥴

36 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Now as many seem, to accept that measurements mean nothing and they they can hear and feel differences my suggestion is that you connect the mains cable to the mans and insert a piece of metal in the live socket of the plug for your amp - then hold it in the hand you feel with best and see if you can feel the mains current difference between cables .. that should sort the men from the boys, 

Do I need a to do this with wet hands to aid current flow?

• Haha 1