mains cable/kettle lead. Make any difference in sound quality?

4 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

Is your answer to whether or not power cables can make a difference 'they shouldn't need to'?

If it is done in the power supply does that mean it is entirely effective and cannot be improved by additional effort.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt...

That RA power cable could hypothetically make a difference, the reasoning being that it is a cable with a filtering element. Could because a well designed power supply will filter.

In other words, such a cable is indeed a filtering cable and could make an audible difference with the right (poorly designed) equipment.

Are there any other filtering power cables?

If not then this is the exception, and it is so because it is a cable with filtering elements.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To save another 17 pages, let me cover the basics: - If you can't hear the difference a good Mains Cable can make....either your hearing is impaired, or your system isn't resolving enough. -

So here we are then not talking about mains cables. Well while we're not on the subject. Back home just 15 mins away from Nick's and I am listening to my system. I have Tidal playing CD (not MQA)

You might be right. @TheFlash has just called round and stood in the cold outside the window to my listening room whilst I played my system (including the Chord Dave).   Nigel said that my syst

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, tuga said:

In other words, such a cable is indeed a filtering cable and could make an audible difference with the right (poorly designed) equipment.

There we have the 'poorly designed' nonsense again.

Being able to improve the performance of something does not mean it was poorly designed. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tuga said:

Are there any other filtering power cables?

Yes, most of the ones I have paid any attention to claim this. Can't think of any brands, but anything woven for example, claims of rfi rejection..... and someone posted a video earlier demonstrating the power cable hooked to an FM radio as an example.

I am not endorsing anything incidentally.. interesting what if thought experiment.

9 minutes ago, dave said:

Yes, most of the ones I have paid any attention to claim this. Can't think of any brands, but anything woven for example, claims of rfi rejection..... and someone posted a video earlier demonstrating the power cable hooked to an FM radio as an example.

I am not endorsing anything incidentally.. interesting what if thought experiment.

I wasn't referring to braided or shielded cables but specifically to cables with passive filtering elements/components.

Like I told earlier in a reply to @Griff500 I can see a few situations where a shielded cable will be effective and may actually make an audible improvement.

This Russ Andrews is different because if I understood correctly it is filtering the mains. And there are extension leads with mains filtering, e.g. the Tacima.

Edited by tuga
12 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

There we have the 'poorly designed' nonsense again.

Being able to improve the performance of something does not mean it was poorly designed. 

It is possible to improve the performance of any commercial equipment, that's not in question. But with properly designed equipment those improvements usually need to be performed inside the box. Few audiophiles have the knowledge to do so, so we buy accessory tweaks. In hope that...

This is the second topic about power cables in recent times. My position is that a length of wire with a plug on each end will not filter. To do so a filter is needed. It may or may not reject interference and prevent leakage depending on its topology and shielding.

This Russ Andrews cable does have a filter, though it would be interesting to see evidence that it actually works. It is also stupidly expensive.

• Upvote 1

The chap who designed the RA cable goes on to say:

The one component I know of that seems to be very vulnerable, and correct mains cable choice is the latest Meridian CD player - the 808.2 signature reference CD player. That may be because it uses a switched mode power supply, or it may be something else like RF ingress - but it is an indication that even latest generation products from one of the most professional manufacturers are still prone to something odd going on in the mains department.

I used to own a Krell KSA100 - one of the old fan cooled ones from the early 80's - and nothing I did with the mains made any effect to the sound from that. But it used Avel Lindberg transformers designed by Paul Houlden with an interwinding screen, which if implemented properly can be a very effective sink for RF garbage.

With that in mind, instrumentation electronics designers have long known that wideband interference screws up the (in general) low frequency signal operation. They tend to use multiply box shieded transformers, and nested screened enclosures to minimise the capacitive coupling from primary to secondary. If correctly implemented, the effective primary/secondary capacitance can be reduced to 0.5pF or less. Compare that to typically 500pF for an unshielded transformer.

I haven't done an exhaustive survey of audio equipment susceptibilities.

Craig Sawyers

3 hours ago, Griff500 said:

Doesn’t everything on the electrical circuit form part of the electrical circuit?

Here is where i got the information from :-

(I may of used the wrong terminology).

1 hour ago, tuga said:

Like I told earlier in a reply to @Griff500 I can see a few situations where a shielded cable will be effective and may actually make an audible improvement.

Can you see any situation in which a shielded mains cable could make things worse? Or is a shielded mains cable at worst unnecessary and at best an improvement?

May be we can all learn something from this Video. 

Edited by Nativebon
Edit
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, tuga said:

It is possible to improve the performance of any commercial equipment, that's not in question. But with properly designed equipment those improvements usually need to be performed inside the box. Few audiophiles have the knowledge to do so, so we buy accessory tweaks. In hope that...

This is the second topic about power cables in recent times. My position is that a length of wire with a plug on each end will not filter. To do so a filter is needed. It may or may not reject interference and prevent leakage depending on its topology and shielding.

This Russ Andrews cable does have a filter, though it would be interesting to see evidence that it actually works. It is also stupidly expensive.

Perhaps you should write a post setting out your personal opinion of what constitutes "properly designed" and can link to it whenever you use the phrase. For example, anyone with ears knows that some Chord and other DACs can be audibly improved through the addition of external accessories, yet it would be arrogant/ignorant to suggest that Chord DACs are not properly designed.

If, for example, your definition of "properly designed" is "a piece of equipment which cannot be improved through modification of external factors including accessories" then those of us with different opinions and/or different experiences can decide how much regard to pay to any post which is based on this definition.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

All these videos are doing my nut in.

If I want to look at people fondling lengths of stuff with lumps along them, there are far better alternatives around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
8 minutes ago, rabski said:

All these videos are doing my nut in.

If I want to look at people fondling lengths of stuff with lumps along them, there are far better alternatives around.

Well that's how I feel when people talk complex stuff and share bloody graphs :zzzz:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Perhaps you should write a post setting out your personal opinion of what constitutes "properly designed" and can link to it whenever you use the phrase. For example, anyone with ears knows that some Chord and other DACs can be audibly improved through the addition of external accessories, yet it would be arrogant/ignorant to suggest that Chord DACs are not properly designed.

If, for example, your definition of "properly designed" is "a piece of equipment which cannot be improved through modification of external factors including accessories" then those of us with different opinions and/or different experiences can decide how much regard to pay to any post which is based on this definition.

Thanks

I tried starting a topic about “what matters in a DAC”. Remember how it ended?

21 minutes ago, tuga said:

I tried starting a topic about “what matters in a DAC”. Remember how it ended?

At least it ended. Hopefully this one will too :D

• Haha 4
4 minutes ago, rabski said:

At least it ended. Hopefully this one will too :D

Unfortunately, there's no way of telling where a mains cable discussion will lead...

:minikev:

• Haha 3