mains cable/kettle lead. Make any difference in sound quality?

Just now, StingRay said:

People hear all sorts of different things, that does not mean there is a difference.

If someone hears a difference then by definition there is a difference :bulb:

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To save another 17 pages, let me cover the basics: - If you can't hear the difference a good Mains Cable can make....either your hearing is impaired, or your system isn't resolving enough. -

So here we are then not talking about mains cables. Well while we're not on the subject. Back home just 15 mins away from Nick's and I am listening to my system. I have Tidal playing CD (not MQA)

You might be right. @TheFlash has just called round and stood in the cold outside the window to my listening room whilst I played my system (including the Chord Dave).   Nigel said that my syst

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tim F said:

Hey Dom, what are you running? I’m interested as I would like to try it myself. 

If you are totally happy with your system and are trying to find an F1 type last small % incremental difference here and there, and you have some spare time, then it's worth investigating for yourself.  if you are likely to upgrade anything in the near future don't bother.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The other thing to add is that Luxman or was it Sugden @radiant red recommend plugging their amps straight into the mains socket and not on a power board. What would that be the case if these tings made no difference?

14 minutes ago, DomT said:

No there isn't. A 400hz tone is a 400hz tone but person a may have hearing that is more bass sensitive and person b may be effectively deaf at that frequency. 

But absolutely and categorically the tone is unchanged assuming identical listening conditions. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DomT said:

The other thing to add is that Luxman or was it Sugden @radiant red recommend plugging their amps straight into the mains socket and not on a power board. What would that be the case if these tings made no difference?

I use a decent well made power strip. Source components only. Power amps and integrated run on a separate power strip or directly to the socket. This is mainly for neatness and as my amp draws more current than a source component, it makes sense. As to “does it sound different”, I can’t say I have noticed but if you can provide the best possible well made sockets with what you have, it has to be the right thing to do. 
when I move, I’m going to need a longer run of cables to the amp so I might invest in something more substantial but this would only be for my satisfaction on a well made only power cable. 

10 minutes ago, DomT said:

Sugdens advice for one of their amps

MAINS INPUT
Connection to the mains is via the supplied AC cable and connects to the mains input socket at the back of the amplifier. Countries are supplied with a pre-moulded AC mains cable of the correct fuse and electrical rating. The supplied cable has been tested and approved for use with your amplifier and should not be replaced without making sure the new cable is suitable.

18 minutes ago, DomT said:

No, I don't agree, people can think they hear things, you can play them the same music and they may think it sounds different. There maybe many reasons. Does not mean there are any differences.

1 minute ago, greybeard said:

Sugdens advice for one of their amps

MAINS INPUT
Connection to the mains is via the supplied AC cable and connects to the mains input socket at the back of the amplifier. Countries are supplied with a pre-moulded AC mains cable of the correct fuse and electrical rating. The supplied cable has been tested and approved for use with your amplifier and should not be replaced without making sure the new cable is suitable.

That’s correct Colin, no need to mess with the supplied cable unless you need a longer one like me 😊

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, DomT said:

As to this, if it is indeed the case, I would guess that both manufacturers make class a amps and given the constant power draw they may be concerned about people overloading a power strip.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

No there isn't. A 400hz tone is a 400hz tone but person a may have hearing that is more bass sensitive and person b may be effectively deaf at that frequency. 

But absolutely and categorically the tone is unchanged assuming identical listening conditions. 

Then it's best of people stop doing demo's of amps, CDP, turntables, speakers etc etc. and maybe just get a Bose all in one system

3 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

As to this, if it is indeed the case, I would guess that both manufacturers make class a amps and given the constant power draw they may be concerned about people overloading a power strip.

Not all Luxman amps are class a.  Some are a/b

9 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

But in instances where there is a difference but one person does not hear a difference eg 400hz tone vs 399 Hz tone? If a difference is heard it's because there is a difference. If the other person didn't hear a difference maybe they hear little differences between DACs and cables but the other person can.  Anyway this has been done to death so many times on here.  With the same comments by all. 

2 hours ago, rabski said:

This is where it all goes wrong.

I am convinced I've heard mains cables make a difference. However, I'm convinced I've heard all sorts of things make a difference, only to return to them the next day, swap things back and change my mind.

Simple really. I use some relatively 'serious' mains cables and blocks, but only because I didn't pay much for any of it, it's well made and I can discount any of it actually causing problems. That way, I can obsess about other things that probably don't make a difference either.

The one thing I can prove is that close to my vinyl system, shielded mains cables do remove a source of hum. But then my cartridge outputs a ridiculously low voltage and everything is high gain, so an ample opportunity to collect any noise going.

Whilst I  use a 4 way Hydra I made using good quality cable for the phono,pre & power amps all valve (1 spare) just in case.  What has made a  discernible difference as I live in RF central,  is fitting clip on  ferrites to every power & digital cable in the lounge large and small this has even improved the TV picture as well as improving the sound. I tried them on some phono leads &  speaker leads not an improvement sounded sat on.

11 minutes ago, DomT said:

Then it's best of people stop doing demo's of amps, CDP, turntables, speakers etc etc. and maybe just get a Bose all in one system

This is the standard fallback argument for cablists though. There are very good technical reasons why components can sound different.

Unless they are faulty there is no reason why cables should. 

Anyway you're right. The arguments are done to death and I only got involved in a moment of weakness as I've vowed to stay out of cable debates on all fora and Facebook groups for this reason :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1