I need Brazilian FLACs of old recordings. Please help!

It's hard to get old Brazilian CDs like from Arrigo Barnabe, Egberto Gismonti, and those of other great artists.  I'm thinking I should be able to buy FLACs somewhere, but maybe there's some kind of barrier other than the language barrier (I don't speak Portuguese, though I wish I did!)  Can anybody help me?  DMs are welcome too if you prefer. 

Barnabe’s stuff isn’t hugely popular on the streaming service I use (Tidal). There are half a dozen CD’s and EP’s but he has a pretty comprehensive write up suggesting there is a body of work, perhaps not available readily in the U.K. Gismonti is way more prolific on Tidal so his stuff is out there. I’m guessing you just need to find legit releases. I’m guessing also that unsanctioned copying and bootlegging was as big a problem in Brazil as elsewhere. Finding originals would be hard. Good luck with your search.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for as it is a bit niche concentrating on the Bossa Nova scene . I bought this and you get 10 CD's that are not easy to find elsewhere I think the music is superb and offers a real hit of what the scene was like . While not FLAC they can be easily ripped to that format . At this price you have very little to lose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bossa-Nova-Cool-Sound-Brazil/dp/B00J3FKAJ4/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bossa+nova+cd+set&qid=1617794123&s=music&sr=1-8

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, bencat said:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for as it is a bit niche concentrating on the Bossa Nova scene . I bought this and you get 10 CD's that are not easy to find elsewhere I think the music is superb and offers a real hit of what the scene was like . While not FLAC they can be easily ripped to that format . At this price you have very little to lose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bossa-Nova-Cool-Sound-Brazil/dp/B00J3FKAJ4/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bossa+nova+cd+set&qid=1617794123&s=music&sr=1-8

Thanks for the link - I’ve just ordered the box. There are a lot of bossa nova compilations, but not so many original albums.

On 06/04/2021 at 02:12, wildwildWes said:

It's hard to get old Brazilian CDs like from Arrigo Barnabe, Egberto Gismonti, and those of other great artists.  I'm thinking I should be able to buy FLACs somewhere, but maybe there's some kind of barrier other than the language barrier (I don't speak Portuguese, though I wish I did!)  Can anybody help me?  DMs are welcome too if you prefer. 

Have you looked on Qobuz store, they have downloads for sale at reasonable prices. 

On 06/04/2021 at 02:12, wildwildWes said:

I've not heard of the two artists you mention but am a great fan of old-school bossa and Brazilian jazz but there are a few recordings from them on bandcamp.com. I don't use it for digital downloads (vinyl is my thing) but there does appear to be the option to purchase and download FLACs. 

Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen.  That is a really good price for the collection, and though it's more for me in Canada, it's still probably worth it.  As for getting foreign FLACs, do you think I'd be able to buy them, or are there trade related barriers anyone knows of that would prevent this?

The biggest issue is finding somewhere that offers these files. You may find them on Brazilian sites but the issue then becomes language unless you speak Portuguese.