Black Ravioli isolation pads - how to remove?

These came on my DAVE and I'd like to remove them. I contacted them asking how to do this and they replied that the bond is extremely effective and that they do not recommend trying to remove them... That's really not what I wanted to hear.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions for getting them off without damage being caused?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes?

Done! No marks left at all (thank god). The mark at the bottom centre isn't from the isolation pads (I think  it will come off - I  need to check if it's on the surface or  something e

Too many jokes...

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

These came on my DAVE and I'd like to remove them. I contacted them asking how to do this and they replied that the bond is extremely effective and that they do not recommend trying to remove them... That's really not what I wanted to hear.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions for getting them off without damage being caused?

Grip the Dave firmly with both hands, then also add one or both feet in case extra force is needed, grip with teeth and......... sorry, I hope that someone has an answer as I have a similar problem with my Creek. 

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes?

• Haha 5

"Goo Gone" is effective at removing adhesives.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

"Goo Gone" is effective at removing adhesives.

Too many jokes...

• Haha 3
18 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Too many jokes...

It's a real product - works a treat.

Why not just leave them in place, people pay a lot of money for the black ravioli?

I have some under my streamer but they are definitely not stuck, although I have considered sticking them on as they slide around a bit (the original ones with the fabric coating ...). I bought mine as clearance stock so quite reasonably priced .

If you get the feet off & they leave a residue behind pledge sprayed on it & left a few hours works wonders then use your thumb nail to the scrape it off. Don't forget if you then intend to stick something else in the same position to degrease first as pledge has silicone in it.👍

• Upvote 1

As I've said before, lighter petrol is a great dissolver/remover of adhesive. It's also good for oil stains on clothes and many other cleaning jobs. Also as it evaporates it leaves no residue. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Rayymondo said:

Why not just leave them in place, people pay a lot of money for the black ravioli?

Well, the question is how to remove them... 9_9

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

Have you tried a hairdrier to melt the adhesive? Then peel off gradually.

May work. 

My concern with that is heating up the internal components and solder too much, although perhaps that's an irrelevance given the  internal operating temperatures that it copes with.

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

As I've said before, lighter petrol is a great dissolver/remover of adhesive. It's also good for oil stains on clothes and many other cleaning jobs. Also as it evaporates it leaves no residue. 

That does work well - I use it to remove tape under golf grips when I change them.

My primary concern is not to scratch or discolour the black metalwork underneath.

1 hour ago, darthvadersdad said:

If you get the feet off & they leave a residue behind pledge sprayed on it & left a few hours works wonders then use your thumb nail to the scrape it off. Don't forget if you then intend to stick something else in the same position to degrease first as pledge has silicone in it.👍

I'm cautious about scraping too much in case I mark the black metalwork.

Why do you want to remove them?