Black Ravioli isolation pads - how to remove?

Just now, purpleaardvark said:

Why do you want to remove them?

I'm not sure why it matters? It's not relevant to my question.

I don't want the thread to turn into a discussion about isolation, different products, etc, so I deliberately posted a very specific question.

• Like 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes?

Done! No marks left at all (thank god). The mark at the bottom centre isn't from the isolation pads (I think  it will come off - I  need to check if it's on the surface or  something e

Too many jokes...

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

I'm cautious about scraping too much in case I mark the black metalwork.

Once you have let the pledge soften the glue your thumb nail or a plastc scraper will take it off & multiple applications will shift anything👍

Nail polish remover. 💅

• Upvote 1

Does anyone think using a hairdryer to warm up the glue might be a bad idea?

It reminds me of sticking an old Playstation in a cereal box and heating it to reflow the board and get it working.

1 minute ago, Griff500 said:

Does anyone think using a hairdryer to warm up the glue might be a bad idea?

It reminds me of sticking an old Playstation in a cereal box and heating it to reflow the board and get it working.

I would say thats a good way to get the feet off to start with make sure you protect your hands from the heat though. Then the other suggestions apply for the glue removal👍

• Like 1

Use goo gone rather than anything alcohol based for removing the residue, just in case it reacts with the surface.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have used white spirit to soften and remove adhesive residues without scraping or causing damage ... it softens the adhesive enough to be able to wipe off. Do not use alcohol or nail polish remover unless absolutely sure it will not mark or remove lettering etc.

Edited by t1no
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Griff500 said:

I'm not sure why it matters? It's not relevant to my question.

I don't want the thread to turn into a discussion about isolation, different products, etc, so I deliberately posted a very specific question.

Just curious as it’s a serious amount of effort and energy that has a potential to damage what is a very high value piece of kit?

24 minutes ago, purpleaardvark said:

Just curious as it’s a serious amount of effort and energy that has a potential to damage what is a very high value piece of kit?

That's why I am trying to establish a safe way to do it.

I'll be trying a different isolation product.

Fair dinkem, maybe give Chord a shout to be on the safe side, they might have a bottle of snake oil to help ease them off 😇

6 minutes ago, purpleaardvark said:

Fair dinkem, maybe give Chord a shout to be on the safe side, they might have a bottle of snake oil to help ease them off 😇

It's a good idea but they don't sell snake oil unfortunately. ;-) 

Done!

No marks left at all (thank god).

IMG_1258.jpg.a044d8705f4aa05395b4f9daceb97fae.jpg

The mark at the bottom centre isn't from the isolation pads (I think  it will come off - I  need to check if it's on the surface or  something else but it doesn't bother me).

So, @DomT-  heating with a hairdryer helped to soften the glue a bit and then lots of leverage using fingers and the edge of a plastic kitchen thingy (indicating how much time I spend in the kitchen) got them off.

Gentle rubbing with Goo Gone got rid of the residue. A moist cloth cleaned it up nicely.

Thank to the members who made such helpful suggestions, my agent, the photographer and my dog for ruining the old sofa. I couldn't have done it without them. :^

Yay!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Wrong section.:oops:

Edited by Strider
Wrong place wrong time.
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Strider said:

Wrong section.:oops:

Where was it and where is it now? :S

Wait... you mean your post?

Edited by Griff500
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Griff500 said:

Where was it and where is it now? :S

Wait... you mean your post?

Sorry Griff - I replied to your plight before realizing you'd sorted your sticky feet already. Nice one!

I was going to say that WD40 is pretty adept at removing gum residue as it's oil based and not alcohol based.

• Like 1