MQA - Has anyone got any CD's or Vinyl ? If so how good is it?

I have until now never heard of MQA and tried a search on here but with no results. I ask as I was just perusing the WHSmith shop online, and I saw a few of these on CD and then tried Amazon and there is quite a bit on there on both CD and Vinyl and a number of Japanese releases by the looks of it, I hasten to add it seems quite expensive so are they worth it?

Do you have an MQA enabled DAC?

I would avoid them, I thought it was only on Tidal streaming. More expensive to pay for it all. I don't think they are worth it but I have only heard them on Tidal with my non MQA DAC. 

Are these on Warners record label?

I don't see the point on cds. Probably just another way for record companies to resell the same old music over again.

MQA vinyl are you sure? I would avoid like the plague.

Edited by StingRay

I sometimes play MQA files from Tidal via USB Audio Player using a Dragonfly DAC. 

I don't think it's anything special to be honest. 

I could not hear the benefit on Tidal of MQA. However some of the HiRes on Qobuz I thought were worthwhile.

I would forget about MQA, I certainly would not be paying a premium for it.

One of the benefits of MQA is streaming smaller files sizes which is not an issue on cd.

You could get a free or cheap trial of Tidal and hear what it's like.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, but sorry I don't do streaming, I prefer to physically own my music therefore only CD or Vinyl, but it seems as though no one has tried either of these formats.

Edited by p147
Spelling.

I have a couple of MQA CDs, but I have a fully MQA compatible system.  The MQA CD that I don't have an ordinary copy of sounds very good,  but obviously no non MQA version to compare it against. The other I can compare to a non MQA version and there is a definite improvement in SQ, it's more defined, excellent timing, just sounds 'more real'.

Right now I'm listening to the MQA version (24/196) of Cream's Wheel of Fire via Tidal, and compared to the non MQA versions (CD or Vinyl) they are playing the same notes in the same order, yet the music is different - notes are more defined, sound more real (have more realistic leading and trailing edges), everything hangs together so much better.  I've not heard an MQA album that sounds worse than the non MQA version, but I have heard some where there is little difference.

I understand, that just like cables etc, that everyone will have their own view, irrespective of whether they have heard MQA or not, but more importantly heard it on an a fully MQA compatible system.

It's only fair to say that I have never heard any MQA music on any other system than my own, so my comments only apply in the context of my system. I'm sure that there are systems where non MQA music sounds more realistic than it does on mine.

Each to there own.

Edited by tkimages
  • Like 2
On 08/04/2021 at 13:06, p147 said:

Thanks, but sorry I don't do streaming, I prefer to physically own my music therefore only CD or Vinyl, but it seems as though no one has tried either of these formats.

Some may sound better because they have been remastered but many just seem to be the cd master. Warners converted all their catalogue to MQA on Tidal, which must have been a batch process, so I doubt they will sound any better.

You can try streaming to see if you can hear a benefit before buying.

I would not touch them as I don't have a MQA cd player or DAC.

To be honest I'm anti MQA. There is no need for it.

Edited by StingRay
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, StingRay said:

Some may sound better because they have been remastered but many just seem to be the cd master. Warners converted all their catalogue to MQA on Tidal, which must have been a batch process, so I doubt they will sound any better.

You can try streaming to see if you can hear a benefit before buying.

I would not touch them as I don't have a MQA cd player or DAC.

To be honest I'm anti MQA. There is no need for it.

I think as you say and as is always the case no matter what format, it is the mastering or re-mastering that counts. I might try one at some point but again being new to this format, do you need a certain type of CD player to play these? And as for the vinyl can you play it on any system?

Thanks

47 minutes ago, p147 said:

I think as you say and as is always the case no matter what format, it is the mastering or re-mastering that counts. I might try one at some point but again being new to this format, do you need a certain type of CD player to play these? And as for the vinyl can you play it on any system?

Thanks

You can play the MQA CDs on any CD player however to get the benefit, you really will need a DAC that can fully unfold the MQA folder. Some manufacturers are opposed to MQA. 

LPs you will be able to play but I’m not sure why you would want MQA on them. 

Here are the MQA Dacs: https://www.mqa.co.uk/playback-devices

This is about MQA cds: https://www.mqa.co.uk/mqa-cd

Edited by StingRay

Not having any MQA DAC I would not be able to hear any of the advantages or otherwise of MQA . Difficult to comment that much on sound quality and if it is something I would like.

Only comment I would make is that Neil Young who is an artist who is fussy about how his music sounds to him and knows what it should sound like has removed all of his material from Tidal because he does not like what MQA does and he says it changes the original masters to something he does not like or approve of .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bencat said:

Not having any MQA DAC I would not be able to hear any of the advantages or otherwise of MQA . Difficult to comment that much on sound quality and if it is something I would like.

Only comment I would make is that Neil Young who is an artist who is fussy about how his music sounds to him and knows what it should sound like has removed all of his material from Tidal because he does not like what MQA does and he says it changes the original masters to something he does not like or approve of .

I had forgotten about Neil Young’s stance on MQA.