13 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

The good news there is that it has some sort of equalisation. 

It’s great that it has huge flexibility that others seem to lack. So losing as it sounds good then they will sell a lot of these!

This does look very good and offers tremendous connectivity.

Sound wise? Well, we'll have to wait and see. I did see a gushing infomercial by a US dealer who commented, in passing, that he preferred the sound of the CXA81 amp. I've heard that amp and wasn't impressed, so not sure how good this 150 will sound. It looks to be aimed more at the very flexible one box solution market; more lifestyle than audiophile.

On 17/04/2021 at 08:34, t1no said:

Here's an overview by the “too many pies during lockdown” Wolverine  :D

He looks like a Fast Show character.

My impression from this video was that the interface looked good.  This has been a major problem with small hi-fi companies technological products.  I’m using an Arcam SR250 which is a similarly “do it all” product but looks very dated compared to this.

It does occur to me that anyone buying one of these should be looking for a five year guarantee as these things are often unrepairable outside warranty. If I were to guess what would go first, that screen looks suspicious to me.

On 17/04/2021 at 08:56, simon g said:

This does look very good and offers tremendous connectivity.

Sound wise? Well, we'll have to wait and see. I did see a gushing infomercial by a US dealer who commented, in passing, that he preferred the sound of the CXA81 amp. I've heard that amp and wasn't impressed, so not sure how good this 150 will sound. It looks to be aimed more at the very flexible one box solution market; more lifestyle than audiophile.

That’s not good news. And doesn’t seem to make sense as they have made this flexible eg pre amp output. I was really tempted by this but have stuck with Benchmark instead. Would still really like to listen to one though. 

2 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

My impression from this video was that the interface looked good ...

... It does occur to me that anyone buying one of these should be looking for a five year guarantee as these things are often unrepairable outside warranty.

The UI looks very nice ... if the screen is an LCD it should last a long time. If you get one of those Richer Sounds 6 year warranties then if you don't use it you get your money back after the warranty ends.

• Like 1
On 07/04/2021 at 15:23, Beobloke said:

Nice. Although I’m out if the screen doesn’t have a simulated VU meter option... ;)

VU Meters are a must on a 4K UHD Display

HiFi ROSE

556253.jpg

HiFI-Rose_RS201E-Lifestyle_04.jpg

9 hours ago, triumph said:

HiFi ROSE

556253.jpg

They look a great alternative. Nice to see they have two dedicated streamers too. Would be nice to have one without a DAC tho as well. 

17 hours ago, t1no said:

The UI looks very nice ... if the screen is an LCD it should last a long time. If you get one of those Richer Sounds 6 year warranties then if you don't use it you get your money back after the warranty ends.

My thoughts too, as RS are very good with their warranty.  A fair price to begin with, and if you’re meticulous enough to diarise five or six years hence, you can get a rebate.  

12 hours ago, triumph said:

HiFi ROSE

556253.jpg

Looks great.  Having read their website looks interesting.  Of course depends on how it sounds

20 hours ago, DomT said:

That’s not good news. And doesn’t seem to make sense as they have made this flexible eg pre amp output. I was really tempted by this but have stuck with Benchmark instead. Would still really like to listen to one though. 

Compare the Cambridge 150 with the NAD M33 and you'll find the latter offers more inputs and outputs and (I have no doubt) far better sound too.  NAD's BluOS control app is generally accepted as amongst the best.  And even more inputs are offered via plug-in module boards.  Those looking for VU meters will like it that the M33 can display these on its LED screen. 

You mention Benchark so presumably the AHB2 amp.  I tested a dozen amps before settling on the NAD - M32 initially, now changed for the new M33.  Believe it or not, the Benchmark was amongst the 3 dullest sounding amps, though it had several features I admired.  However I couldn't live with the bland and lifeless presentation of music that I know should sound far more exciting than with the Benchmark's presentation. I'm less interested in "acccuracy" for the sake of it than musical enjoyment, that the BM lacks. 

Edited by hearhere
Just now, hearhere said:

Compare the Cambridge 150 with the NAD M33 and you'll find the latter offers more inputs and (I have no doubt) far better sound and the BluOS control app is generally accepted as amongst the best.  And even more inputs are offered via plug-in module boards.  Those looking for VU meters will like it that the M33 can display these on its LED screen. 

You mention Benchark so presumably the AHB2 amp.  I tested a dozen amps befpre settling on the NAD - M32 in fact, now changed for the new M33.  Believe it or not, the Benchmark was amongst the 3 worst sounding amps, though it had several features I admired.  However I couldn't live with the bland and lifeless presentation of music that I know should sound far more exciting than with the Benchmark's presentation. I'm less interested in "acccuracy" for the sake of it than musical enjoyment, that the BM lacks. 

I really didn't like the Nad streamer DACs at all when demoed against Naim, Chord and Auralic but I am pleased that you like it.

I have bought another Benchmark DAC but not an amplifier having never heard one. 

The very helpful team at Cambridge Audio have answered some more of my questions.  Their responses below:

The output impedance of the preamp out is 100 ohms.

The XLR input is not fully balanced input to output; it becomes unbalanecd at the volume stage.

The S/N ratio is unweighted.

1 hour ago, DomT said:

I really didn't like the Nad streamer DACs at all when demoed against Naim, Chord and Auralic but I am pleased that you like it.

I have bought another Benchmark DAC but not an amplifier having never heard one. 

I think that Benchmark are better with DACs than with amps!

Which NAD streamer DAC did you try?  The Master Series is a big step up from the C Series or other NAD offereings.   It's won many awareds (for what that's worth) including Stereophile's current (2020) Amp of the Year, Product of the Year and Editor's Choice of the Year.  It's that good in my opinion too. 

The M33 uses the 32-BIT/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC.  I admit I know little about DACs but I understand this one is highly regarded

The M33 uses the Purifi digital amplifier that is certainly top of the pile of Class D at present, unless you need more than 200 watts continuous

This link leads to a technical description of the M33 -

Peter

• 2 weeks later...