Adding a subwoofer to ATC SCM40A speakers

19 hours ago, Griff500 said:

Do they know what it cost? ;)

Yes, and even at a RRP of £7.5k the Fathom f212 v2 offers superb VFM although it has still a way to go to match the Gotham g213 v2 which is the most impressive and even at £17k is the best VFM component I have experienced so far.

Anyway and even though an E-110, E-112, Fathom f110 v2, Fathom f112 v2 and the Fathom f113v2 would have easily supported SM40A's, SCM50A's, SCM100A's and SCM150A's accordingly, however after having experienced the manner in which the Fathom f212 v2 also couples to the upper body, our client wasn't going to settle for anything less and pushed the boat out for a Fathom f212 v2.

• Like 1
On 09/04/2021 at 23:07, Griff500 said:

Their website states 'line outputs: N/A'?

Yes, the Fathom v2 Series has no line outputs to feed an external power amplifier or active speakers.

At the moment our client is using the crossover built into the amplifier. Later on he’s looking to add a CR-1 active subwoofer crossover.

E Series subs have a true two-way, 4th order Linkwitz-Riley design, with a low-pass filter feeding the subwoofer's amplifier and a high-pass filtered signal exiting its line outputs.

Were you serious about adding a sub to 150s? If so, what sort of room size would need this?

Edited by Blzebub
23 hours ago, Blzebub said:

Were you serious about adding a sub to 150s? If so, what sort of room size would need this?

Yes, I am serious about using a sub/s with SCM150’s. A subwoofer is the most important component. Fwiw, I used a pair of E-112’s with SCM100A’s.

Btw, with all things being equal the sub/s would be used in the same/existing room as the SCM150’s.

15 minutes ago, Musicraft said:

Yes, I am serious about using a sub/s with SCM150’s. A subwoofer is the most important component. Fwiw, I used a pair of E-112’s with SCM100A’s.

Btw, with all things being equal the sub/s would be used in the same/existing room as the SCM150’s.

150s are -6dB at 23 Hz in free space. Theoretical room gain in the extreme low bass is +18dB from three boundaries.

15:45 et seq:

Edited by Blzebub
On 09/04/2021 at 23:07, Griff500 said:

I'm intrigued by the idea of a sub with SCM40As.

I believe realism requires power and even if the mains go down to 20Hz a subwoofer should still be incorporated because ime a subwoofer can inject power into a system like no other component can.

2 minutes ago, Musicraft said:

I believe realism requires power and even if the mains go down to 20Hz a subwoofer should still be incorporated because ime a subwoofer can inject power into a system like no other component can.

Well, it might make sense for 40As, or 50s perhaps. But room gain more than compensates for low-end rolloff in the 150s. If anything, I have a little too much extreme low bass in my 6x5m room. I can't imagine adding a subwoofer would help.

22 minutes ago, Blzebub said:

Well, it might make sense for 40As, or 50s perhaps. But room gain more than compensates for low-end rolloff in the 150s. If anything, I have a little too much extreme low bass in my 6x5m room. I can't imagine adding a subwoofer would help.

It also makes sense to use a subwoofer with SCM100’s and SCM150’s.

The goal is to effectively align/calibrate/dial in a subwoofer so that the subwoofer integrates seamlessly with the mains and disappears into the soundstage with a deep, sharp, tight fisted, fast and powerful punchy sub bass. image.gif.f1ff61f488fcec76c4ca81d307159dce.gifGet it right and a subwoofer can make the most profound difference to the overall performance of the system. 

Edited by Musicraft
11 minutes ago, Musicraft said:

It also makes sense to use a subwoofer with SCM100’s and SCM150’s.

The goal is to effectively align/calibrate/dial in a subwoofer so that the subwoofer integrates seamlessly with the mains and disappears into the soundstage with a deep, sharp, tight fisted, fast and powerful punchy sub bass. image.gif.f1ff61f488fcec76c4ca81d307159dce.gifGet it right and a subwoofer can make the most profound difference to the overall performance of the system. 

Did you watch Ben Lilley's seminar that I linked, above? What was your take-home message from it?

8 hours ago, Musicraft said:

Even some of the finest facilities in the world incorporate subwoofers to support the mains.

SCM150A’s and SCM300A’s all being supported by SCM0.1/15SL Pro’s -

image.png.aeaadb1eda5fc0006e097730b056a9da.png

image.png.7907ea48e98bd3cf122b83f3485e1799.png

Yes I know, and that's precisely why I asked you what size of room would need a subwoofer w/ 150s. That looks like an enormous space, and where is the ceiling?

Low-end room gain from boundary reflections means that subs are not required with 150s in any normal domestic setting, IME. My previous room was quite large at about 28 ft x 19 x 13. Bob Polley actually talked me out of buying active 300s, saying that my room wasn't big enough. That room was about 2.4 x the volume of my current room, which is still on the big side by UK standards. BP didn't recommend a sub, either.