Who thinks CD's are finished? It's just a matter of time. 

CD's finished?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do.

To quote @TheFlash from another thread

'It will be interesting to see what happens. Vinyl was supposedly made irrelevant by the arrival of CD but it hung around and then had something of a renaissance. I don't think the same romance will ever be attached to CD's but no-one would have bet on vinyl back in the day either.

Happy to continue the chat elsewhere but let's not clutter up a thread initiated with an impressively detailed post in praise of the PD-91. :-)'

Nah, it really is finished it's more than inevitable. Vinyl is pure analogue on solid physical media. CD is digital information, where that digital information comes from is not important it's the conversion process. As tech improves, as it does and is exponentially, a primitive disc where it is stored really becomes obsolete. I think I'll always have my collection unit a point where even that becomes pointless, by whatever tech makes it so. It's just a storage medium and an ageing one just like floppy disc once was. Apple knew the writing was on the wall many years ago, they dropped building any sort of machine that had a CD/DVD drive. 

Edited by eddie-baby
  • eddie-baby changed the title to Who thinks CD's are finished? It's just a matter of time. 
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CD is finished. That's OK. I'll put another one on.

Just wait till Russia China or North Korea unleash some kind of virus that kills the internet we'll all be glad we kept them old cds and players for old times sake.👍👍👍👍👍

CDs were more popular than vinyl in terms of units sold in 2020: RIAA data shows that 31.6 million CD albums were sold in the year, with 22.9 million vinyl LP/EPs. Now in terms of business - 31.6

Posted Images

Who cares? Buy them if you like them, not if you don't. If someone else stops using CDs, does my collection evaporate?

At some point, one has to just let the world continue and focus on enjoying what you've got. :)

Edited by hairyderriere
Came across as grumpy, which wasn't intended.
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, hairyderriere said:

Who cares?

Yeah but you can say who cares about anything it's not much of a discussion. Because of what they actually are I'm just stating the obvious that they have got a limited time.   

• Upvote 1

I do hope not... I have a fairly large collection and a very nice Pathos didget player and still purchase CD's on a regular basis.

However, I guess music steaming interfaces like Roon will eventually kill them off.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I buy them used and rip them to my hard drive to stream from network , generally only pay a couple of quid so I can buy a lot more music that way. While people are getting rid of them they are very cheap, that may change one day of course ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

There are tens of billions of cds in the world and they will do the same as old vinyl has done since cd superseded it and recirculate around and around and around. As long as there are cd players cd will be played for a long time yet.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

I'm sure they'll make a comeback , just as vinyl did...

I really can never see it, I'd say there really is more chance of cassette making a comeback, at least that is pure analogue. Digital information is becoming so easy to distribute. What was once considered a large file is now not and its only going to improve even more.  

4 minutes ago, Boysey said:

I do hope not... I have a fairly large collection and a very nice Pathos didget player and still purchase CD's on a regular basis.

However, I guess music steaming interfaces like Roon will eventually kill them off.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

So do I and I will never get rid of it until it becomes inefficient to keep it. If what you spend per year on physical digital media becomes a lot more than what you can have the entire collection of anything purchasable via streaming, plus its higher quality, why would you.

• Like 2

I think they will become more of a niche product over time. A lot of people still buy them after all. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, darthvadersdad said:

There are tens of billions of cds in the world and they will do the same as old vinyl has done since cd superseded it and recirculate around and around and around. As long as there are cd players cd will be played for a long time yet.

Not if it becomes obsolete. Like betamax or VHS cassette, I'm sure some still may use it but it really does become a daft thing to do at a point, even for the most die hard fans. The way digital tech is developing even DVDs will disappear at some point.

My concern is most laptops now do not have a cd/dvd drive for ripping or playing discs. When I can no longer rip them I will no longer buy them as the only cd player I have currently is in the car!

1 minute ago, Rayymondo said:

My concern is most laptops now do not have a cd/dvd drive for ripping or playing discs. When I can no longer rip them I will no longer buy them as the only cd player I have currently is in the car!

USB optical drive, you only need the one (even though I have two :D )

• Like 2

I just 'googled' cd's... seems these were once a popular and commonplace way to purchase music. They were first released back in the 1980's rising to a peak popularity in the 1990's before making a steady decline the following decade after the naughties... 

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

Yes this is a concern. For now you can buy externals but when the point comes when that becomes more difficult then there has to be a tipping point of obsolescence.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, 2010*zuma said:

I just 'googled' cd's...

This is funny actually :D My children's, children will not know what CDs are. But as if I showed my children a VHS cassette and asked them what is it, I'd get a very funny look.