Who thinks CD's are finished? It's just a matter of time. 

CD's finished?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

That's good, I like that. There really is some great really affordable kit around now. And some which really does sound great, hifi does not have to cost an arm and a leg it's becoming very easy to set up a system that sounds good for very little money. 

It’s not just the kit that’s affordable.  At the peak, I was spending £100+ a month on CDs. €20 a month, which I’m paying now hurts somewhat less.

• Like 1
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CD is finished. That's OK. I'll put another one on.

Just wait till Russia China or North Korea unleash some kind of virus that kills the internet we'll all be glad we kept them old cds and players for old times sake.👍👍👍👍👍

CDs were more popular than vinyl in terms of units sold in 2020: RIAA data shows that 31.6 million CD albums were sold in the year, with 22.9 million vinyl LP/EPs. Now in terms of business - 31.6

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

It’s not just the kit that’s affordable.  At the peak, I was spending £100+ a month on CDs. €20 a month, which I’m paying now hurts somewhat less.

Oh wow, that's a habit. You really do need to stream, it'll stop that dead, just look for a service and quality that's best for you. I'm sure you could beat 20 euro as well if you shop around for deals and discounts.

I have known serious music collectors in the past. I've done well over the years into a thousand maybe but we are talking 30 years odd. I had mates years ago who had walls and walls covered in CD's when my collection was a handful, heaven knows what they have now. But I've heard other collectors who have been completely besotted with getting discs to the point of it being an addiction. 

• Like 1

Chiming in late (haven't read whole thread so sorry if i'm repeating here) but here's my tuppence.

Answer = Yes, CDs will become obsolete.

1st = where can we buy them from now? Virgin Megastore - Gone, HMV - Gone, Tower Records - Gone, Our Price - Gone, etc etc. Luckily, the Poundstore sells loads of good condition 2nd hand ones for a quid each so I still have somewhere to go for my fix, but I don't see that lasting many years from now.

2nd = what can we play them on? Inevitably CDPs age but whereas when I got into Hifi, CD was King and many companies made many models (e.g. Naim had 4 at the time I think), nowadays most companies won't make them anymore (e.g. Naim has 1 on sale) eschewing them for streaming boxes instead. I fear when my CDP finally gives up the ghost I'll be hard pressed to find an equivalent replacement. 

3rd = streaming services. Convenience trumps SQ for most people, so things like Tidal and Spotify are taking more market share. I have Spotify but that's for car and work listening, not serious listening at home for which I use my CDP. Using my CDP sounds better than anything streamed. My nephew didn't believe me either until I demonstrated it to him. Streamed a re-issued single via spotify (highest settings) using a USB/lightning cable connected from phone to Arcam DAC and he kept saying it sounded good on my system. Little did he know I had the original 1st release on CD from the 90's, so I put that into my Naim CD5i and the SQ was noticeably better - in fact it blew the streaming effort away......but that's for us folk with the kit to appreciate it. On any "normal" system/BT speaker there's no difference so guess which will win out with the majority of the public? Yes, the more convenient one = streaming services.

4th = more money can be made from hard drives and streaming software (and subscription services that never end). I've had about 4 hard drives (media drives), NOT being abused and treated gently but still failing over about a total 8 year period. That's about £150 spend every time I need a new one (£75/yr). I simply don't trust any HDD not to crap out at some point whereas my CDs are still perfect from the day I got them (bar 1 which, can't remember what it was but pretty much started disintegrating on me - but that's 1 out of the 500ish I own over about 30yrs = 33p/yr loss). The industry will gravitate to whatever makes them more money in the long run.

One day CD will end and by then I will probably be on the "fully streaming" bandwagon (in fact I've been tempted to migrate my physical media to Naim's "headless" Uniti Atom or something from Innuous but haven't taken the plunge yet - my fear of HDDs failing being one reason) but good old CD is still fine for me at the moment.

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 2

just regards to above post I don't think cd player manufacturing has let up yet also the streaming war is far from settled the way it currently predominantly exists just 10 years in.. 

I'm an all in streamer btw⚠️

Edited by 2010*zuma

Cd will continue to be played for many years due to the fact there are so many owned by so many music lovers everywhere and if there is a demand as there has been for vinyl in recent years manufacture will continue.

Also new players continue to be made at the moment and manufacturers won't stop if there is still a demand for them.  Personally I find using streaming a bit lifeless and only have Spotify for trying new music before looking for a hard copy.

I don't see a slow death for cd at all tbh.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

to Arcam DAC and he kept saying it sounded good on my system. Little did he know I had the original 1st release on CD from the 90's, so I put that into my Naim CD5i and the SQ was noticeably better

That was hardly a fair battle though an Arcam DAC vs a Naim CD5i. Those are very different machines, the naim is by far the better regardless of any highres file. 

Get your point tho, great post BTW. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, darthvadersdad said:

Cd will continue to be played for many years due to the fact there are so many owned by so many music lovers everywhere and if there is a demand as there has been for vinyl in recent years manufacture will continue.

Also new players continue to be made at the moment and manufacturers won't stop if there is still a demand for them.  Personally I find using streaming a bit lifeless and only have Spotify for trying new music before looking for a hard copy.

I don't see a slow death for cd at all tbh.

I can't see it. Even the most discerning of audiophiles are making the switch now, using a dac of their choice and using not necessarily streamed services but their own CD files ripped lossless. The last few trade shows I've been to as well CD players have been a rare site. And as was just mentioned manufacturers are just not throwing everything they have at them like naim once were, and favouring streaming devices. 

Edited by eddie-baby

Just imagine it's 1995 and we are sitting here typing on the wam. Vinyl has all but disappeared from the shops, everyone and his 2nd cousin are selling their vinyl records and turntable:peace:(sorry couldn't find a sad emoji) and we are having the same discussion?

Edited by hiesteem
1 minute ago, eddie-baby said:

I can't see it. Even the most discerning of audiophiles are making the switch now, using a dac of their choice and using not necessarily streamed services but their own CD files ripped lossless. The last few shows I've been to as well CD players have been a rare site. And as was just mentioned manufacturers are just not throwing everything they have at them like naim once were, and favouring streaming devices. 

But there are billions of CDs in existence though and the mainstream ones are cheap to buy. CD players are still being made so should be around for quite a while, mine is 30 years old and still works. Yes people will switch to downloads and streaming but just like LPs it could be trendy again in the future. 

Even cassettes are seeing a revival, which is something I thought I would never see. 

• Like 2
Just now, StingRay said:

But there are billions of CDs in existence though and the mainstream ones are cheap to buy. CD players are still being made so should be around for quite a while, mine is 30 years old and still works. Yes people will switch to downloads and streaming but just like LPs it could be trendy again in the future. 

Even cassettes are seeing a revival, which is something I thought I would never see. 

Oh of course, it won't happen overnight, or perhaps it will, depending on what the future is for digital music. 

Music and convenience just dont register for me. I will be buying and playing CD's until the day I die, at which point my kids can drop it all off at the local Oxfam.

Wammers post obsessivley about cables and amps chasing that last tenth, but then leave the orgins and mastering of the music they play to chance. That makes no sense to me. Software is just as important as hardware in my world.

Edited by Mondie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Finally, someone with an older CD player than mine :fly:

Addendum to the above:

Sorry, I meant Naim Uniti Core (running headlessly with a 1TB SSD in it) above, not the Atom.

The reason I'm worried about HDDs is that the average lifespan is only 3years and they're expensive to replace:

"A compelling study that proved this statistic comes from the online backup company Backblaze who analysed the failure rates of 25,000 running hard drives. They found that 90% of hard drives survive for three years and 80% for four years. But this number varied across brands. Western Digital and Hitachi hard drives lasted much longer than Seagate’s in Backblaze’s study."

Until they improve in longevity, I'm happy with physical media but I'm hoping that will improve at the point I'm forced to switch many years from now....

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

1st = where can we buy them from now?

2nd = what can we play them on?

3rd = streaming services

4th = more money can be made from hard drives and streaming software

1. Plenty of CDs will continue to be manufactured, plenty of used ones still available and in the worst case, download the digital file and burn your own on a £30 CD burner.

2. Again plenty of used CD players .. snap a few up and some spares lasers/transports and you will have enough for the rest of your life. 

3. Streaming services offer great convenience and are great for discovering music or just listening to stuff that you probably won't bother buying. Services will come and go and I bet many streamers will be long obsolete before your CD player because the manufacturer has given up updating the software.

4. Invest in an SSD with 10 year guarantee e.g. Samsung Pro. Look out for offers on streaming services ... I have been offered Tidal for £1 for 3 or 4 months and I got Deezer for £60 for a whole year. Streaming service free tiers and free internet radio are available too.

Edited by t1no
3 minutes ago, t1no said:

1. Plenty of CDs will continue to be manufactured, plenty of used ones still available and in the worst case, download the digital file and burn your own on a £30 CD burner.

2. Again plenty of used CD players .. snap a few up and some spares lasers/transports and you will have enough for the rest of your life. 

3. Streaming services offer great convenience and are great for discovering music or just listening to stuff that you probably won't bother buying. Services will come and go and I bet many streamers will be long obsolete before your CD player because the manufacturer has given up updating the software.

4. Invest in an SSD with 10 year guarantee e.g. Samsung Pro. Look out for offers on streaming services ... I have been offered Tidal for £1 for 3 or 4 months and I got Deezer for £60 for a whole year. Streaming service free tiers and free internet radio are available too.

1) Yep, I still buy them, quid each from poundstore as mentioned. Point being I can see a time soon where even those will disappear.

2) Spent ages looking for a laser mech for my old CD5 until I realised it was rare and expensive enough to warrant buying a second hand CD5i replacement instead. Maybe it was just my luck when looking for one? Anyway, the manufacturers are definitely "streamlining" their offerings though and I can see a time when they won't offer them anymore.....and no, I don't think a £50 replacement from JVC or similar would be a decent replacement. At the point I can no longer get a Naim equivalent or spare part I'll have to think about upgrading....my point being that time will come and will be another nail in CDs coffin.

3) I already use Spotify - not a patch on CD imho.

4) Interesting post on Samsung Pro - the 1TB is £200 O.o and they state on their amazon page they do a 5yr (not 10yr) warranty which would make them appealing (even better if that were 6x longer and they had a 30yr warranty to match my CDs :P though).