Who thinks CD's are finished? It's just a matter of time. 

CD's finished?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

4) Interesting post on Samsung Pro - the 1TB is £200 O.o and they state on their amazon page they do a 5yr (not 10yr) warranty which would make them appealing (even better if that were 6x longer and they had a 30yr warranty to match my CDs :P though).

Looks like the 860 Pro has a 5 year warranty ... I got the 850 Pro with 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CD is finished. That's OK. I'll put another one on.

Just wait till Russia China or North Korea unleash some kind of virus that kills the internet we'll all be glad we kept them old cds and players for old times sake.👍👍👍👍👍

CDs were more popular than vinyl in terms of units sold in 2020: RIAA data shows that 31.6 million CD albums were sold in the year, with 22.9 million vinyl LP/EPs. Now in terms of business - 31.6

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Addendum to the above:

Sorry, I meant Naim Uniti Core (running headlessly with a 1TB SSD in it) above, not the Atom.

The reason I'm worried about HDDs is that the average lifespan is only 3years and they're expensive to replace:

"A compelling study that proved this statistic comes from the online backup company Backblaze who analysed the failure rates of 25,000 running hard drives. They found that 90% of hard drives survive for three years and 80% for four years. But this number varied across brands. Western Digital and Hitachi hard drives lasted much longer than Seagate’s in Backblaze’s study."

Until they improve in longevity, I'm happy with physical media but I'm hoping that will improve at the point I'm forced to switch many years from now....

No, that’s in data centres, if at all.  You’re probably looking at fifteen years and longer.  I’ve had one drive fail since 2000 and I use multiples of them.  Obviously, luck is an issue and if you don’t back up, the God of luck will punish you. 

3 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

Oh wow, that's a habit. You really do need to stream, it'll stop that dead, just look for a service and quality that's best for you. I'm sure you could beat 20 euro as well if you shop around for deals and discounts.

I have known serious music collectors in the past. I've done well over the years into a thousand maybe but we are talking 30 years odd. I had mates years ago who had walls and walls covered in CD's when my collection was a handful, heaven knows what they have now. But I've heard other collectors who have been completely besotted with getting discs to the point of it being an addiction. 

Yes, the €20 is my Tidal account.  Money well spent. 

16 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

I’ve had one drive fail since 2000 and I use multiples of them.  Obviously, luck is an issue and if you don’t back up, the God of luck will punish you

Agree. I've been dabbling with PCs since the early 90's when a 30Mb HDD was still considered adequate.

I have changed hard drives because I've needed something larger. I can't recall the last time I changed one due to failure. Certainly some of my current drives are at least 10 years old. 

The only thing that has died on me was the actual nas enclosure itself and not the drives in it. 

18 hours ago, Gaffer said:

4) Interesting post on Samsung Pro - the 1TB is £200 O.o and they state on their amazon page they do a 5yr (not 10yr) warranty which would make them appealing (even better if that were 6x longer and they had a 30yr warranty to match my CDs :P though).

I'm involved with very high performance computer systems - writing to SSDs at maximum rate non-stop for months at a time.

For long term storage, we use hard-disks or tape - not SSDs...not because of the cost but because *no manufacturer* will guarantee readability of an SSD if it's left unused for more than a year.

--Jatinder

• Like 1
21 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

The last few trade shows I've been to as well CD players have been a rare site

This is true and makes a lot of sense - you will often see people choosing what to listen to via an ipad or tablet device - same applies in a demo at a dealers, much more of a selection than flicking through a pile of records or cds. I wandered into a B&O showroom last year just out of curiosity and as they were quiet (I'd made it clear I wasn't there to buy anything) they let me listen to their top of the range speakers, the sales guy just asked what I wanted to listen to. Put on the spot I just said Steely Dan - who the young sales guy had never heard of , then chose a track (Peg) and off we went . In the old days I would have had to leaf through the records until I found something I wanted to listen to. This is exactly what I did when I bought my first ever hifi at a dealers - I just looked through the bunch of records they had a chose one to demo. Didn't occur to me to take one along in those days.  Obviously if you are buying or demoing a cd player you will want to play some discs on it , but for anything else , when at a show or at a dealer it makes more sense to select something from their vast virtual library.

3 hours ago, jatinder said:

I'm involved with very high performance computer systems - writing to SSDs at maximum rate non-stop for months at a time.

For long term storage, we use hard-disks or tape - not SSDs...not because of the cost but because *no manufacturer* will guarantee readability of an SSD if it's left unused for more than a year.

--Jatinder

Thanks for the information, good to know.

:*:  And for anyone that still enjoys CDs. Patbarrydub is kindly giving away an eclectic mix of over 100 CDs.  On Spirit Of The Wam :)

Edited by garn63
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, garn63 said:

:*:  And for anyone that still enjoys CDs. Patbarrydub is kindly giving away an eclectic mix of over 100 CDs.  On Spirit Of The Wam :)

See, can't even give the things away these days :D Nice little collection actually

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

See, can't even give the things away these days :D Nice little collection actually

I thought so too...would of grabbed them 20yrs ago.  Very kind of him to offer to someone tho.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

I had a look but nothing of interest, I do have a few of them but not played them in years. I was thinking of giving a lot of mine to charity.

I think the problem is probably more cds in there that you may not want than you want.

Edited by StingRay

I sold half of mine.....half of the remaining half can go now.  Some that I will keep are niche rarities that dont appear on streaming sites. Others are artists that work didnt transfer very well to Flac.  Old artists.

Several comments I have to chuck in.

I just had two HDD failures in a month. I had only a partial backup of my FLAC files (25000 songs), so lost about 12K tracks. I had all the original CDs (caseless in flight cases in the attic) so I have now re-ripped them, and have the collection on three drives.

Several CDs can no longer be read - the whole perfect sound FOREVER message didn't get through to everyone - a box set of Brandenburg Concertos (Deutsch Gramophone) for example now has a weird golden bloom on the surface, and the CD player just locks up rather than reads them. 

It also  reminded me that I have not played a CD for months, with SBT being the first choice. I have a curated collection tha reflects my "journey of acquisition" over many years since my first CD purchases in the 1980s. This search for specific tracks, or artists, or albums, will be a feature of a music fans' experience that will be lost when all of everything is available on whatever streaming platform you have.

I still have music I only own on Vinyl, so the Michell TT gets good use.

I use Spotify, but the SQ doesn't match FLAC.

I will pay for Spotify Premium when they go up to CD quality, but I still would like to "own" my collection, a concept that Millennials find quite quaint.....

• Like 2