Who thinks CD's are finished? It's just a matter of time. 

CD's finished?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CD is finished. That's OK. I'll put another one on.

Just wait till Russia China or North Korea unleash some kind of virus that kills the internet we'll all be glad we kept them old cds and players for old times sake.👍👍👍👍👍

CDs were more popular than vinyl in terms of units sold in 2020: RIAA data shows that 31.6 million CD albums were sold in the year, with 22.9 million vinyl LP/EPs. Now in terms of business - 31.6

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Lawrence001 said:

I thought this too but then I decided that if you want to hold the physical files for long periods without worrying about them degrading, CDs are a good way of doing this. Worst case you can just box them all up and stick them in the loft.

They're very inefficient space wise but then you get the booklet, which doesn't feel so small as when CD first came out and you compared it to vinyl sleeves, as it's still better than your phone screen!

Yes CD's are very robust and sound great . Don't see any point in not using them.

• Like 1

CD is finished? No, my ABBA CD is Swedish! 

• Haha 1

Well at some point, yes the format will die. It’s just a matter of when. To put it bluntly, it’ll be when our generation of cd users are no longer around. How many under-30’s are buying cd’s?

Fewer & fewer brands are making cdp’s now, streaming is the big growth area.

In the mean time people who still prefer cds, those with a large collection will continue to use them & why not? If cd is your preferred format, there’s probably never been a better time to buy them.

CD, Vinyl & streaming can all give excellent results & there’s no right & wrong answer, it’s down to what’s best for the individual.

For me, cd is not as tactile or as involving as vinyl, yet also not as convenient or portable as streaming, so it sits awkwardly in the middle. Some existing fans will stick with it, but beyond that...................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Cd not a great way of storing music, you can rip them and then store 100s on a usb stick.

Serious question - how long will devices be sold into which a USB stick can be inserted and replayed?  Maybe no longer than CD transports?

• Like 1

I still buy CDs. I use Spotify to find new music and then buy the CD or download, directly from the artist if I can. Bandcamp is a great source for new music. The streaming services are great for the consumer in the short term but they pay peanuts to the artists. Unless this changes, there won’t be much incentive for artists to record new music. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
12 hours ago, hifinutt said:

I was reading about the new goldmund sacd player , apparently demand in Asia. 110 kg in weight and costing a mere 175k !! Still plenty of interest in cd

Now wouldn't that be fun , demoing one of those!

1 minute ago, hiesteem said:
12 hours ago, hifinutt said:

I was reading about the new goldmund sacd player , apparently demand in Asia. 110 kg in weight and costing a mere 175k !! Still plenty of interest in cd

Now wouldn't that be fun , demoing one of those!

Luckily Amazon have them, free returns xD

• Like 1

Not too off topic I hope but what's the take on Blu-Ray or 4K video discs are these being replaced by streaming/downloads ?

5 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Not too off topic I hope but what's the take on Blu-Ray or 4K video discs are these being replaced by streaming/downloads ?

Must admit we haven’t put a Blu-ray or DVD into a machine for at least 3 years, thanks to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Nopiano said:

Must admit we haven’t put a Blu-ray or DVD into a machine for at least 3 years, thanks to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV. 

That answers the question ! I have a BluRay collection but never got around to 4K discs as I haven't upgraded the TV yet , I'm wondering what the sales figures are like for the latter .