Mostly for our poor US members (who will cry when the see these).  It's not enough that we can't compare 20-odd iterations of the LP12 against each other - most of our LP12 purchases have to be made mail order, sight unseen, sound unheard!

LP12s.jpeg.21eab000b418e056c08623d728147240.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aren't we all? Or we wouldn't be on this forum.

Mostly for our poor US members (who will cry when the see these).  It's not enough that we can't compare 20-odd iterations of the LP12 against each other - most of our LP12 purchases have to be made m

There is nothing like some beautiful music to wash all that nasty stuff out of your brain! 

Posted Images

Yup, all my lp12 upgrades purchased on faith, even the machined Radikal. Linn hasn’t disappointed yet 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, arm said:

Yup, all my lp12 upgrades purchased on faith, even the machined Radikal. Linn hasn’t disappointed yet 

Many of my upgrades were done blindly, but not the machined Radikal. You are a brave man.

• Upvote 1

I have seen this photo before. Strikes me that it must be a little difficult and precarious to place the record or change the cueing on the decks that occupy the second row! Doesn't look like there is much room for error there...unless it's a optical illusion in the photo. Maybe Peter is moving each deck out as requested to another location for the demo?

Edited by Daveyf

That's why he gets paid the big bucks!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Daveyf said:

I have seen this photo before. Strikes me that it must be a little difficult and precarious to place the record or change the cueing on the decks that occupy the second row! Doesn't look like there is much room for error there...unless it's a optical illusion in the photo. Maybe Peter is moving each deck out as requested to another location for the demo?

I might be wrong, but I think this is storage - the decks being moved to suitable racks / shelves for actual demo.

• Like 3
On 10/04/2021 at 03:06, sktn77a said:

Mostly for our poor US members (who will cry when the see these).  It's not enough that we can't compare 20-odd iterations of the LP12 against each other - most of our LP12 purchases have to be made mail order, sight unseen, sound unheard!

LP12s.jpeg.21eab000b418e056c08623d728147240.jpeg

Despite my decades of experience with Linn, that one can trust their engineers' ears (as in: you get more, when you pay more), I'd be very reluctant to place an order without listening to the differences beforehand. I'm not in the comfortable situation to live close to Cymbiosis - actually never have been there. But usually, my dealer can arrange side by side sessions, at least when new gear enters the market. I usually try to visit him during such a time, and take my mental 'tasting notes'. E.g., when Urika II hit the market, he was had identical LP12s to demo Urika vs Urika II. Probably, the Urika LP12 meanwhile has been re-purposed, I don't know. Anyway, it's good to stay in touch, and use any 'window of opportunity' once it opens. When the Organik DSM shows up, I'll be there - despite the fact, that I'll probably never buy one.

Quick anectdote, that comes to my mind in this context: When I had saved some money to buy my first HiFi, I went to several dealers. Longing to get a grip at the price/performance relationship, I told them, that I needed to find my personal balance between budget and SQ. Some dealers refused to demo their expensive systems, as I could not afford it anyway. Others happily showed the possibilities at different price points. None of the dealers from the first category does still exist these days. Two of the 'friendly' ones, are still in business. This might tell us something?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

Quick anectdote, that comes to my mind in this context: When I had saved some money to buy my first HiFi, I went to several dealers. Longing to get a grip at the price/performance relationship, I told them, that I needed to find my personal balance between budget and SQ. Some dealers refused to demo their expensive systems, as I could not afford it anyway. Others happily showed the possibilities at different price points. None of the dealers from the first category does still exist these days. Two of the 'friendly' ones, are still in business. This might tell us something?

A dealer that's only interested in today's deal does not deserve to survive.  Customers should be nurtured and encouraged to expand their horizons so that when they're ready to do so, they go back to the dealer that supported their requirements.  This is the difference between transactional selling and relationship selling.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

I might be wrong, but I think this is storage - the decks being moved to suitable racks / shelves for actual demo.

As you sit facing the loudspeakers the demo deck(s) is/are on racks to the left. That photo shows the storage area to the right.

2 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

A dealer that's only interested in today's deal does not deserve to survive.  

Sadly, that describes 99% of audio dealers in the US (including some better known high end Linn and Naim dealers)!  A (very) small fraction give good service - none in my particular locale.  It'll be interesting to see what they do now that vinyl is showing up in stores everywhere over here.

On 10/04/2021 at 12:23, akamatsu said:

Many of my upgrades were done blindly, but not the machined Radikal. You are a brave man.

Brave or brainwashed?

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, arm said:

Brave or brainwashed?

Aren't we all? Or we wouldn't be on this forum.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
23 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Aren't we all? Or we wouldn't be on this forum.:D

Word. 

• Like 2