Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 11/04/2021 at 08:12, DebsE said:

As you sit facing the loudspeakers the demo deck(s) is/are on racks to the left. That photo shows the storage area to the right.

That would make more sense. Swapping in any deck from that collection could be done fairly quickly and would allow a nice 'AB' comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would certainly not buy ANYTHING, Linn or other stuff, that has not convinced me at a live demo, especially considering the royal prices now being asked. Even better, try to borrow the gear and try it out in your system before deciding. Just my advice. 

Edited by StellanH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StellanH said:

I would certainly not buy ANYTHING, Linn or other stuff, that has not convinced me at a live demo, especially considering the royal prices now being asked. Even better, try to borrow the gear and try it out in your system before deciding. Just my advice. 

I'd add to that have the salesperson keep their mouth shut and not try to bias the experience.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/04/2021 at 22:58, akamatsu said:
On 11/04/2021 at 22:12, arm said:

Brave or brainwashed?

Aren't we all? Or we wouldn't be on this forum.:D

There is nothing like some beautiful music to wash all that nasty stuff out of your brain! :D

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is the collective noun for LP12s? S'pose it must have a 'k' in it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

What is the collective noun for LP12s? S'pose it must have a 'k' in it.

Kakophony

Edited by petecallaghan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, StellanH said:

I would certainly not buy ANYTHING, Linn or other stuff, that has not convinced me at a live demo, especially considering the royal prices now being asked. Even better, try to borrow the gear and try it out in your system before deciding. Just my advice. 

Great advice for sure, but there are so many markets that this is not possible. Many markets , like mine that have restrictions on availble demo units like the Kilmax range.

Edited by arm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

What is the collective noun for LP12s? S'pose it must have a 'k' in it.

Sondeks, of course!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have some great speakers there as well, including these beauties:

https://kudosaudio.com/product/titan-808/

I listened to my LP12 on them when it was built and set-up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, emcc_3e said:

They have some great speakers there as well, including these beauties:

https://kudosaudio.com/product/titan-808/

I listened to my LP12 on them when it was built and set-up.

I don't doubt that they sound great but, based purely on looks, I wouldn't want them near my home, let alone in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Andyt916 said:

I don't doubt that they sound great but, based purely on looks, I wouldn't want them near my home, let alone in it.

They look better when you see them in person than they do in the photo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, emcc_3e said:

They look better when you see them in person than they do in the photo.

I agree - they fit well into Peter's demo room - but it does require quite a room  - they are large beasts. They also take a small army of Solos to keep them warm!

Impressive sound though - controversial, but I'd take them (active) before 350s any day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, emcc_3e said:

They look better when you see them in person than they do in the photo.

In fairness, I should imagine that it's not an easy job to design an aesthetically pleasing, good sounding speaker, especially if you're moving away from the plain box shape.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic, I recall seeing this article a while back...12 of the world's most expensive loudspeakers | What Hi-Fi?

Certainly some "interesting" designs there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

In fairness, I should imagine that it's not an easy job to design an aesthetically pleasing, good sounding speaker...

"I have two goals. 

The first is that everything I do as a designer must have an idea: it cannot just look nice.

The second is, it has to look nice."

Paul Rand

Edited by Monkey Wrench
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

In fairness, I should imagine that it's not an easy job to design an aesthetically pleasing, good sounding speaker, especially if you're moving away from the plain box shape.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic, I recall seeing this article a while back...12 of the world's most expensive loudspeakers | What Hi-Fi?

Certainly some "interesting" designs there.

Anybody notice that they are pretty much all abysmal looking?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...