Jump to content

Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" making of article.


Recommended Posts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kates next album the sensual world is also worth chasing up.  Its also a lot better sonically than hounds of love which I always find rather compressed and hollow sounding.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, graham67 said:

Kates next album the sensual world is also worth chasing up.  Its also a lot better sonically than hounds of love which I always find rather compressed and hollow sounding.

I recently listened to the 2018 remaster of "Sensual World." I also have the original UK pressing. Same with "Hounds of Love." I will compare the original HoL with the remaster and hear which is better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Since auditioning the Klimax cased Radikal, I find myself imagining, while listening, how the music would sound with it in place, rather than the ARad that I'm currently using. I've found this to be rather distracting and annoying.

Last night while listening to the 2018 remaster of "Hounds of Love," I had the opposite experience. I couldn't imagine it sounding any better than it did!

Edited by akamatsu
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Since auditioning the Klimax cased Radikal, I find myself imagining, while listening, how the music would sound with it in place, rather than the ARad that I'm currently using. I've found this to be rather distracting and annoying.

Last night while listening to the 2018 remaster of "Hounds of Love," I had the opposite experience. I couldn't imagine it sounding any better than it did!

Hi @akamatsu, I'm interested to hear about your comparisons between the Hounds of Love and Sensual World listenings between the original pressings and remasters (I'm assuming we're talking vinyl here).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Andyt916 said:

Hi @akamatsu, I'm interested to hear about your comparisons between the Hounds of Love and Sensual World listenings between the original pressings and remasters (I'm assuming we're talking vinyl here).

All vinyl all the time. I did listen to the 2018 Sensual World remaster a few weeks ago. Extremely good. I can go back and listen the original pressings for comparison. But I tend to just put the record on and listen all the way through, rather than doing A/B comparisons. So please bear with me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Original UK pressings on top. Remastered below. This is going to be fun. Fire up the RCM.

AB979005-D415-4554-B1D8-60024BFF419C.jpeg

Edited by akamatsu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx for sharing @akamatsu For some reason I never bought this album. Just ordered a copy of the 2018 reissue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

Hi @akamatsu, I'm interested to hear about your comparisons between the Hounds of Love and Sensual World listenings between the original pressings and remasters (I'm assuming we're talking vinyl here).

"Sensual World." I first listened to side one on the original. Then side two on the remaster. Then side one on the remaster for comparison. The original sounded really good. There were so many memories around this album going back to 1989 when in London, I bought three copies of it. One for me, and two for the local Linn dealer in Dallas. I would call it a "quality recording." The remaster is a different experience. It has a much bigger more modern sound. It really is a phenomenal recording, a definite improvement over the original. I would say, if you have the original, keep it, and get the remaster. They are different. If you have nether, get the remaster. For me, when I want to listen to Kate, I'll reach for the remaster.

As for "Hounds of Love," going off of memory, I would apply the same assessment. Just a bigger more full and complete sound. Either album remastered is like a wholesale fundamental improvement to your hifi system.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

"Sensual World." I first listened to side one on the original. Then side two on the remaster. Then side one on the remaster for comparison. The original sounded really good. There were so many memories around this album going back to 1989 when in London, I bought three copies of it. One for me, and two for the local Linn dealer in Dallas. I would call it a "quality recording." The remaster is a different experience. It has a much bigger more modern sound. It really is a phenomenal recording, a definite improvement over the original. I would say, if you have the original, keep it, and get the remaster. They are different. If you have nether, get the remaster. For me, when I want to listen to Kate, I'll reach for the remaster.

As for "Hounds of Love," going off of memory, I would apply the same assessment. Just a bigger more full and complete sound. Either album remastered is like a wholesale fundamental improvement to your hifi system.

Thanks very much for the description and insight @akamatsu, very interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is amazing. I love this album (Hounds of Love) and have had it for years originally on vinyl and later CD. I must have listened to it 100's of times. I have only just noticed there are two dogs on the cover and they are Weimeranners which have been our family's dog of choice for years! That explains why I cant understand people raving on about Roon and the extra info you get - I just want Kazoo to play an album and listen to the music!

If anyone doe not yet have these albums they should be considered essential listening. And if anyone already knows them and loves them you should try listening to Tori Amos - an artist in a similar vein...

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had another listen to "Hounds of Love" remastered version, Absolutely brilliant! But I have to say, the recording quality of "Sensual World" may have it beat. I can get where @graham67 is coming from.

Edited by akamatsu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night, I completed Volume II of the remastered series by listening to "The Red Shoes." I highly recommend Volume II as it captures three albums from what many consider her best works. That plus "Aerial."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a quick look for these. On Amazon UK they range between £50 - £80 for each of the four collections. Looks like great value!

Edited by Andyt916
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My order of acquisition was III, II, I, IV. I was so anxious to get "Aerial," one of my favourite albums, on vinyl, so III was first. I have yet to listen to I and IV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...