Considering Klimax Exakt System

If I dropped that kind of cash, I'd expect to be treated like royalty. There are dealers, in the USA, that will do just that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 11/04/2021 at 05:51, Katzky said:

my dealer pointed out the Rossini clock really needs $4k bnc cables 🤯

I was told that about my Chord system for connecting its upscaler to DAC, but I went for far less expensive Canare star quad BNC cables with some appropriately sized ferrite rings. I’m delighted. I am very sceptical about boutique cables as there seems to be a far greater markup than on other parts of a system. 

I hope you can get the home demo of a Klimax Linn system. It is superb, but I think opinions on what sounds best is highly subjective and so you need to hear it to know if it’s right for you. For me, it’s Space Optimisation that gives Linn an advantage over some other high end brands, but it needs to be setup in your own environment.  

Edited by Nestor Turton

I know where I live ( Toronto Canada ) there is only one dealer that can do a klimax demo and he isn’t my dealer. My dealer doesn’t have any klimax gear so I took a leap of faith with my machined Radikal. I would rather have this then deal with a retailer I don’t get on with ( history). I can image in most North American markets there are few klimax level dealers that can do this demo at home. BTW I’ve only heard the katalist Kilmax system at Linn HQ and it was lovely. 

Edited by arm
14 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

I think I'd wait for Organik to arrive in the 350s - it won't be that far away in terms of the length of time you'll be living with them.

As an aside, quite a few people don't like what Roon does to the sound - have you compared it to a standard NAS or Melco or Innuos running a lightweight server such as MinimServer?

I’ve been running JRiver since 2013 serving up wav files. When Naim supported Tidal I started streaming that along with local files. Definitely JRiver sounded better in my fairly revealing system. I just joined Roon last month because I found the dCS Mosaic app unbearable to use. After a bit of a/b I feel Roon adds a bit of ummm.... how to describe it? Slightly less coherent with a muffled quality and a loss in resolution? In my system the difference was much less significant than I could hear between two fairly similar power cords going into my dac. Roon is just such a pleasure to use I’m sure my overall experience is better with it vs a slightly better sq via a third rate interface. Also Roon Radio is a game changer for me.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, arm said:

I know where I live ( Toronto Canada ) there is only one dealer that can do a klimax demo and he isn’t my dealer. My dealer doesn’t have any klimax gear so I took a leap of faith with my machined Radikal. I would rather have this then deal with a retailer I don’t get on with ( history). I can image in most North American markets there are few klimax level dealers that can do this demo at home. BTW I’ve only heard the katalist Kilmax system at Linn HQ and it was lovely. 

If these were different times, without Covid, you could fly out to Vancouver and listen to one of our Linn dealers that will have the new Organik Klimax DSM and Organik 350’s.

‘Then if you purchased it, the provincial tax you would save from having it shipped back to Toronto would more than pay your airfare

I don’t think there are any Linn restrictions on selling something to a customer if you physically pay for that item in person in Vancouver, and have it shipped back to your home?

Without Covid restrictions, you could also drive the 4 hours to Ann Arbour Michigan to visit ThomasOK at Overture Audio, and audition it there, and possibly buy it from there?

After a very enthusiastic report of my dealer about the NG Klimax System Hub, I visited him yesterday for a listening session of Klimax 350 (Katalyst) with the new Hub. It was really an amazing system, sounded very good, we had a lot of fun listening to all kinds of music streamed from Tidal. Lots of detail of CD quality recordings I did not notice before, but still all the fun there. We did not bother to connect the "old" Klimax System Hub for comparison, so I cannot 100% be sure it would not be the same level of performance, but from what I remember the new hub was clearly better. I can only imagine what the Organik update to the 350s will bring.

What also struck me is when we changed to the LP12 (Klimax spec incl. Urika II), it was an even better experience. By the way, the first vinyl he spun was a late 70s record during oil crisis, it was really "wobbly"... but much better than all the streams we had heard. So I am anxious to see if Organik will erase that difference... with Katalyst, it is cleary there (and not small).

To the OP, if the dealer offers you a try-out at home experience, no strings attached, and obviously you like the design and minimalism of the setup, plus SO will be helpful in your listening room, go for the NG Klimax system incl. Organik 350s. I cannot comment on a comparison with other high-end streamers as I haven't heard them.

In another thread, you contemplate what LP12 to buy. Given the kind of outlay for the above system which you question if it is not a foul compromise, I think you should just go for the Klimax LP12. At a comparedly "small" outlay you get one of the best turntables without compromises.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, berni. I have a dem booked for next week - really looking forward to hearing it.

’troll

• Like 2