Telefunken ECC83

I'm pretty much finished with Hi-Fi purchases (he said !) though this is one fettle I just had to try. Bought from the Bish of this Parish it has beautiful print, double diamond (works wonders) markings of course was boxed and packaged in a way that required a sharp knife to open ;-) (and thank you chap).

Noticeable difference - yes, without doubt. I popped it in the linestage of my Croft 25R and imaging, general presentation and subtle detail are something else. This is a special thing indeed. I'm currently getting my head round whether I prefer it to the Brimar I have (which is less on detail and perhaps more rounded) but that's by the by. I find time is essential in getting used to different sounds and presentation.

In time this'll be popped into my Croft 7 and the phase splitter (I think that's what it is ?) of the Leak 20 but for now this is a fascinating valve.

I'm not a huge fan of constant tube rolling - I find it can be a frustration, but this has been and will continue to be a great source of fun and interest.

Anyway, as always, great to share findings here and hear of the experience of others.

• Like 2

I'm also a fan of TFKs, have an 1951 ecc83 and 2 pcc88s in the BB3 + 2 70s 83s in my Jolida DAC and a pair of 81s in the Lector. As you say, wonderful sounding valves, only got into them following the recommendation to use them in the BB3, and each time I've slotted them in they've given an easily heard change for the better (to my ears).

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Getting the right nos tubes can turn a good amp into a real giant killer.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Frizbriz said:

Getting the right nos tubes can turn a good amp into a real giant killer.

Yes indeed. But my recent experience has been that for the real giant killing valves you won't find them in the American style 9 pin miniaturised valves like 12A*7. 

I'm going deep into the history of European valves and there are some real gems in there. Odd bases and a few top caps, but the sound is on another level. They're usually collected by the radio guys. Of course you won't find any of them in commercial amps and preamps, though, so they'll remain unknown to most people which is just as well!

• Like 1
On 11/04/2021 at 08:07, Ian said:

I'm pretty much finished with Hi-Fi purchases (he said !) though this is one fettle I just had to try. Bought from the Bish of this Parish it has beautiful print, double diamond (works wonders) markings of course was boxed and packaged in a way that required a sharp knife to open ;-) (and thank you chap).

Noticeable difference - yes, without doubt. I popped it in the linestage of my Croft 25R and imaging, general presentation and subtle detail are something else. This is a special thing indeed. I'm currently getting my head round whether I prefer it to the Brimar I have (which is less on detail and perhaps more rounded) but that's by the by. I find time is essential in getting used to different sounds and presentation.

In time this'll be popped into my Croft 7 and the phase splitter (I think that's what it is ?) of the Leak 20 but for now this is a fascinating valve.

I'm not a huge fan of constant tube rolling - I find it can be a frustration, but this has been and will continue to be a great source of fun and interest.

Anyway, as always, great to share findings here and hear of the experience of others.

Croft user myself.Try if you can a, good Mullard m8137 .Gives pretty much all of the Telefunken ,but with better bottom end .

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, mattykyuss said:

Croft user myself.Try if you can a, good Mullard m8137 .Gives pretty much all of the Telefunken ,but with better bottom end .

Interesting, cheers.

All TFK inside my Bigbottle Mk3 phono stage and it sounds superb👍

50386289206_4d9ef8a093_c_d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

All TFK inside my Bigbottle Mk3 phono stage and it sounds superb👍

ditto

• Like 1

Got two of the Mullards 8137, gems.

generally if can afford have soft spot for all things seimens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Si I put the Brimar back and bloody love that too, as I mentioned, bit more rounded, bit less detail. 

Tube rolling is insane, don't do it xD.

Its the worst form of ocd!