I have run high quality analogue systems for the last 40 years, but I need some advice to bring myself into the 21st century. I am planning on replacing my turntable, CD player and tuner with a streaming / network device, but I have no idea how to go about it.
I have purchased a pair of AVI DM1O active speakers, which contain a remote controlled preamp, power amp and 24/96 DAC. I also have an iPad Air 2, but no laptop. I would like a device that can play and rip my cd collection, play music obtained online and also have an internet radio facility for jazz fm, classic fm and radio 2. 
I prioritise high quality sound over convenience, so I am looking for equipment recommendations and advice on how to set this up, either via this thread or by PM please.
Many Thanks

23 minutes ago, Holte Ender said:

I have run high quality analogue systems for the last 40 years, but I need some advice to bring myself into the 21st century. I am planning on replacing my turntable, CD player and tuner with a streaming / network device, but I have no idea how to go about it.
I have purchased a pair of AVI DM1O active speakers, which contain a remote controlled preamp, power amp and 24/96 DAC. I also have an iPad Air 2, but no laptop. I would like a device that can play and rip my cd collection, play music obtained online and also have an internet radio facility for jazz fm, classic fm and radio 2. 
I prioritise high quality sound over convenience, so I am looking for equipment recommendations and advice on how to set this up, either via this thread or by PM please.
Many Thanks

Any idea of budget?

I'm looking for the right digital streamer or bridge, too. A brand that was recommended to me yesterday, by someone who has a friend that runs a hifi business, is Novafidelity. I read some reviews and watched one or two on youTube and they appear to be very good and excellent value. Most of them rip CD's, can record from vinyl etc., some have amplification, some don't. The more expensive models have a better grade of DAC and can handle MQA files and higher res.

Alternatively, you could go with a network bridge or streamer, such as the Lindemann Bridge or Auralic Aries and a seperate unit that plays/rips cd's. I have to say that the Raspberry Pi 3b+, with Allo Digione HAT and standard Raspberry power supply that I've been very kindly loaned, is sounding incredible through my external Dac. For under £200, it's an amazing front end. I'm wondering how much better it can actually get.

Hopefully, others here will be able to give more suggestions for you. Good luck with the search.

Have a look at something like this. Basically a server that will auto rip your CDs and save to hard disk. Then you can play them with a Pi connected to your DAC input. I have the open source version of this software called Vortexbox running on a small server that also runs LogitechMediaServer (LMS) to present music to a Squeezebox touch or a Pi equivalent. Comes importantly with auto backup routines when you connect a USB hard drive to the server.

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Audiostore_Essential/p317978_3816227.aspx

If you want to know more feel free to get in touch. I have no connection with the business other than using the open source version of his software, and I feel I owe the business some customer encouragement for what I have had at no cost.

Bluesound Vault 2i

Automatically rips and stores your CDs and gives you access to music streaming services and internet radio in a small neat box with excellent software. Everything can be controlled from your iPad too.

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/bluesound-vault-2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIia77s_v27wIVh7h3Ch3_LwvxEAQYASABEgJWEvD_BwE

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree that the RPi 3b with the Digione HAT is excellent quality and well worth the money.  You have separate power supplies for the computer and audio boards.  I use Volumio free software as the player- it can be controlled by a laptop or smart phone. Control is by wifi or cable; files can be accessed on USB drive or a NAS discs; internet radio is a button on Volumio.

One cheapish way you could try it out is by just buying the RPi for about £30, download the free software and use the headphone output to see if you like how the software handles. If you like it, buy the HAT later  It won't rip CDs though- I use dBPoweramp on a pc for FLAC ripping.

2 hours ago, aggers said:

One cheapish way you could try it out is by just buying the RPi for about £30, download the free software and use the headphone output to see if you like how the software handles. If you like it, buy the HAT later  It won't rip CDs though- I use dBPoweramp on a pc for FLAC ripping.

Volumio Virtuoso plan (£28.99 a year) will allow you to Rip CD's

17 hours ago, aggers said:

I agree that the RPi 3b with the Digione HAT is excellent quality and well worth the money.  You have separate power supplies for the computer and audio boards.  I use Volumio free software as the player- it can be controlled by a laptop or smart phone. Control is by wifi or cable; files can be accessed on USB drive or a NAS discs; internet radio is a button on Volumio.

I didn't know that, thanks.  I have the Virtuoso version at €2.99/ month which give Tidal and Qobuz integration as well as other benefits- I now realise that I can CD rip with it as well.

4 hours ago, aggers said:

I didn't know that, thanks.  I have the Virtuoso version at €2.99/ month which give Tidal and Qobuz integration as well as other benefits- I now realise that I can CD rip with it as well.

Glad to be of help :D

I have just looked up your active speakers. They have a TOS digital interface which would go well with a Pi with an Allo Digione as mentioned up thread.

This will give you playback of ripped CDs Tidal, Qobuz and other streamed services as well as Worldwide radio including Radio3 in very high quality. All you need is a back end server to store your ripped CDs, autorip your CDs and host the Logitechmedia Server giving you access to your ripped library and all streaming services. I could lend you an old PC configured with Vortexbox to try out the server service, I can also lend you a Pi configured with an add on hat to plug directly into the auxiliary input on you active speakers. That will give you a good introduction to a digital infrastructure.

Try it and see.

• Like 1
On 13/04/2021 at 16:17, aggers said:

For purposes of accuracy, it is the Allo Digione SIGNATURE that uses 2 power supplies, one powers a 'clean' board, the other powers the 'dirty' board and the Pi itself. The 'standard' Allo Digione only uses one power supply.

Also worth noting is that the Pi 3b+ is reckoned to be better for audio purposes than the newer 4b. I watched 3 video reviews done by different people who all said this. Apparently, the higher power CPU of the 4b produces more noise. It was pointed out that the better quality streamers generally have a lower power CPU in the grand scheme of things.  

So impressed was I with the sound of the standard Digione HAT on a 3b+ and the flexibility of running it on the LMS platform, that I have today ordered a 3b+ and Digione Signature. All reviews state that running the 'clean' board with a decent supply (batteries were best) lifts the sound quality even higher.

John Darko in his review, said that using batteries in this way, it outperforms the Auralic Aries. Hans Beekhuyzen, too, said that he felt that the Digione Signature is the best coaxial/toslink outputting streamer. Aside from the sound quality, the Auralic Aries control app is not available for Android and the app for the Lindemann Limetree Bridge doesnt look too brilliant either.

Not wanting the faff of constantly charging and swapping batteries, I've ordered a 5v Temple Audio supercapacitor supercharger power supply instead. I'll report back at some point in the future as to how the Digione Sig/ Supercharger combo sounds.

6 hours ago, slavedata said:

I have just looked up your active speakers. They have a TOS digital interface which would go well with a Pi with an Allo Digione as mentioned up thread.

Try it and see.

Allo Digione is co-ax output only, so may not "go-well" :dunno:

ronnie

The Pi4 is much better than the Pi3  sound quality if used with a good LPSU . They are much quieter and they have more speed and smoothness .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2