11 hours ago, Gizza said:

I watched 3 video reviews done by different people who all said this. Apparently, the higher power CPU of the 4b produces more noise.

11 hours ago, Gizza said:

John Darko in his review, said that using batteries in this way, it outperforms the Auralic Aries. Hans Beekhuyzen, too, said that he felt that the Digione Signature is the best coaxial/toslink outputting streamer

Not looking to pick a fight or anything :dunno: but these people are UTube influencers.

Neither offer any link to information providing proof of this fact. I'm not saying it is not a fact, but I would like to see the proof.

I don't know who the third person might be.

I'm completely fine with "in the ear of the beholder" as that's is how I (mostly) operate O.o

I have not had the interest to research any evidence that Allo might provide, as by claiming to isolate the noisy rpi from their HAT it would only reference the performance of the isolating board imo.

But then I'm not technical >:( not by a lonk chalk B|

Just me thinking aloud :o:P:)

ronnie

11 hours ago, bencat said:

The Pi4 is much better than the Pi3  sound quality if used with a good LPSU . They are much quieter and they have more speed and smoothness .

I guess I can always try the HAT on a Pi 4 at some point, the cost is quite small and I had thought I might get another Pi anyway, to run LMS server with my USB drive attached, rather than having my noisy old laptop on 24/7.

At least I know first hand that the Pi3b with Digione HAT sounds great. I didn't want to risk the 4 sounding inferior, as per the reviews. If the 4 sounds better, that'll be great.

1 hour ago, Man in a van said:

Not looking to pick a fight or anything :dunno: but these people are UTube influencers.

Neither offer any link to information providing proof of this fact. I'm not saying it is not a fact, but I would like to see the proof.

I don't know who the third person might be.

I'm completely fine with "in the ear of the beholder" as that's is how I (mostly) operate O.o

I have not had the interest to research any evidence that Allo might provide, as by claiming to isolate the noisy rpi from their HAT it would only reference the performance of the isolating board imo.

But then I'm not technical >:( not by a lonk chalk B|

Just me thinking aloud :o:P:)

ronnie

Yeah, I see that they are influencers but I get the impression that John Darko, at least, is honest. The gumph about the improvements made by Allo on the Signature card reads:- 

"...In our quest for digital perfection we asked how we can improve the design and give you the ultimate DigiOne.

First, we decided to use more board space (we are using 2 boards), the PCB area increased 220%. First board is the “dirty side” and top board has the “clean side”. With the extra space, we used the best decoupling capacitors (film) on everything that’s important (clocks, buffers, flip flops). Also, with this extra space we added a supercap on the “clean side” so most of the electrons come from this onboard “buffer” (there is so much power onboard that DigiOne Sig can run a few seconds without any power attached to the clean side).

We also decided to use 2 power supplies. The “dirty power” needs 5V /2-3A (RPI power). The “clean side” needs about 100mA and accepts from 5V to 6V. You can use anything on it, linear power supply or pure batteries power.

Thirdly, we changed the clocks to the latest from NDK (ultralow jitter SDA) that have lower phase noise than the previous generation."

The proof of the pudding, etc. .....

Having both an Allo Digione with Pi3 and Pi4 I would say it does not matter. They sound so alike I would find it very hard to hear or identify which is which. 

The Pi4 has the advantage of a stand alone USB controller chip while the Pi3 shares this with the network chip. Makes a big difference if you use usb out (which I do not) much quieter . But given the separation it probably lowers internal noise as well.

Also whoever said the Allo Signature has a TOSLINK output is just plain wrong it only has two SPDIF outs on RCA and BNC but of course he would know this as he is testing the unit ?

Edited by bencat

It was me. I confused TOS and SPDIF I agree I was wrong. I apologised up thread and suggested TOS alternatives. I know in the design of the Digione Allo specifically rejected TOS, I think but I'm not sure, because  of clocking issues with TOS.

4 hours ago, slavedata said:

It was me. I confused TOS and SPDIF I agree I was wrong. I apologised up thread and suggested TOS alternatives. I know in the design of the Digione Allo specifically rejected TOS, I think but I'm not sure, because  of clocking issues with TOS.

Dave i did not mean you there is a comment that John Darko says , or was that you just mixing it up and he did not say that in which case sorry i should of left things alone because I did read your retraction and it happens to us all .

No problem Andrew

6 hours ago, bencat said:

Having both an Allo Digione with Pi3 and Pi4 I would say it does not matter. They sound so alike I would find it very hard to hear or identify which is which. 

The Pi4 has the advantage of a stand alone USB controller chip while the Pi3 shares this with the network chip. Makes a big difference if you use usb out (which I do not) much quieter . But given the separation it probably lowers internal noise as well.

Also whoever said the Allo Signature has a TOSLINK output is just plain wrong it only has two SPDIF outs on RCA and BNC but of course he would know this as he is testing the unit ?

I use my Pi 4 with usb out, into a Oppo Sonica dac  (es 9038 pro chip) and it sounds superb IMO.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I use my Pi 4 with usb out, into a Oppo Sonica dac  (es 9038 pro chip) and it sounds superb IMO.

That is one of the ways that if you use a Pi like that the Pi4 does have a very big advantage with the dedicated USB chip and USB 3 out .

• Like 2

Interesting comment here from a much admired designer of Dac and digital audio equipment about batteries for powering devices:

In Sept 2018, John Westlake posted opinions about battery power on his Facebook page:

“It’s an often repeated fallacy that battery supplies are low noise - this is simply not true - battery rely on a chemical process. This chemical noise is dependent on the type of Cells used - the lowest being lead acid cells. I learnt the hard way about battery noise when designing the battery PSU for the Pink Triangle PIP II and Dacapo...

Lithium cells are VERY noisy - they have a shot-noise type distribution, worst still, most Lithium cell type battery packs use switching PSU to convert their typical cell voltage of ~ 3.6V to something more usable...

I see battery supply benefit- not so much in their claimed "low" noise performance (there is something more salient going on here) - but lower system noise due to mains isolation.”

• Like 1
7 hours ago, slavedata said:

That's correct, they found there was more jitter when using Toslink.