How full is safe for my NAS drives?

Just wondering. I'm currently at 84% capacity with my 6TB discs in my Synology NAS. All data are music files.

Is it safe to continue to fill towards 100% or is this potentially problematic? 

Mike.

Have you got a backup of them? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

Just wondering. I'm currently at 84% capacity with my 6TB discs in my Synology NAS. All data are music files.

Is it safe to continue to fill towards 100% or is this potentially problematic? 

Mike.

Generally the thinking is to allow 10 to 15% of a hard drive vacant. I certainly would be contemplating replacement or additional space if that is practical for the enclosure you have.

18 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

Generally the thinking is to allow 10 to 15% of a hard drive vacant. I certainly would be contemplating replacement or additional space if that is practical for the enclosure you have.

Thanks Sumdumji. I'll see how I go in that case. I don't really contemplate adding much more music. If, however, it gets to over 90% then I'll see about getting a couple of 8 or 10 TB discs.

29 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Thanks Sumdumji. I'll see how I go in that case. I don't really contemplate adding much more music. If, however, it gets to over 90% then I'll see about getting a couple of 8 or 10 TB discs.

What format are the files in and how old are the discs ?

Presuming that this is Flac then this is about 396,000 tracks or even more I have no idea where you were able to source your music but this would last over two years plus to play every track . Back it up and call it quits you are never going to use or listen to what you have .

15 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

What format are the files in and how old are the discs ?

The files are Flac and the discs are WD 6TB Reds and are 2 years old.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, bencat said:

Presuming that this is Flac then this is about 396,000 tracks or even more I have no idea where you were able to source your music but this would last over two years plus to play every track . Back it up and call it quits you are never going to use or listen to what you have .

You're right, I have more than enough! I have some 8400 albums but many of them are in 24/96 or higher.

Edited by SnapperMike

13 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

The files are Flac and the discs are WD 6TB Reds and are 2 years old.

If the files are uncompressed flac you may consider compressing the files with the likes of DbPoweramp. There is no difference in audio quality but it will free up some space and save you the expense of two new NAS drives - at least for a period of time until the current discs are older. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

If the files are uncompressed flac you may consider compressing the files with the likes of DbPoweramp. There is no difference in audio quality but it will free up some space and save you the expense of two new NAS drives - at least for a period of time until the current discs are older. 

Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered that. I shall investigate. I already have dBpoweramp.

Edited by SnapperMike

4 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered that. I shall investigate. I already have dBpoweramp.

It’s straightforward enough, you can just set it away and leave it to produce the new library on a spare disc. 6tb will take a while 😂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/04/2021 at 22:28, Sumdumgi said:

I don’t see why you would need to leave 10 to 15% of a drive vacant. The default reserved block percentage for the Linux ext4 file system is 5% and that is probably wasteful for a disk used for music storage. With music you are mostly writing the data once and then reading it many times without updating it. In this scenario disk fragmentation shouldn’t be an issue.