Never been into vinyl but the LP12 is iconic and I’d love a bit of analog in my life. Initially going for the Akurate level but it occurred to me I might be able to get a Naim Aro tonearm. Is this still possible and is it still top quality compared to modern offerings? My understanding is it requires a special keel and maybe other modifications. Curious if anybody here is using the Aro and would like to better understand the benefits considering the expense might be significant.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Come on. Don't you know that one of the joys of this forum is suggesting endless ways of telling people how to spend their money ? 

@Katzky A few years ago I went thru this very same exercise when purchasing my first LP12. Along with my dealer, I used this and the previous Linn forum for advice and ideas. from other members. My fi

Perhaps the OP could go for what is known in Japan as the Akurate LP12 SE, which is an Akurate LP12 but with Akurate cased Radikal instead of the Lingo 4. I think Linn Japan looked at the Akurate LP12

Posted Images

You will definitely need a different Keel. They’re about, but nowhere near as common as the Linn fitting variant. Bear in mind, too, that the Aro was discontinued some years ago, so you might have to wait to track one of those down too.

Mick

The 'Akurate' Level doesn't involve a Keel as the sub chassis at that level is a Kore. The Aro is a nice arm but if I was spending the money that they tend to fetch today (approx £2K+) then I would also listen to an Audio Origami PU7. The advantage to this, apart from the PU7 being a great sounding arm, is that AO can supply for Linn or Rega fit (and maybe others). The AO PU7 will go into the Keel collar and (I'm pretty sure that) it can also slot straight into the Kore. For the difference in price I would definitely audition it agains the standard Akurate offering (Akito 3).

• Like 2

It would be better, sound quality wise, to put money on a better power supply and sub-chassis before a tonearm. Be sure and budget for records.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

It would be better, sound quality wise, to put money on a better power supply and sub-chassis before a tonearm. Be sure and budget for records.

Indeed.  In fact a Majik LP12 with the power supply replaced by a Radikal will outperform a stock Akurate LP12. 

I have a customer who has two pretty loaded LP12s.  Both have Karousel, Radikal, Keel and a custom Chris Harban plinth (sadly no longer available).  One has an Ekos SE/1 and the other has an Aro - the Aro is on his second table.  He was quite pleased at the musical improvement after having me put the Ekos SE/1 on his main table.  So one thing to consider here is that the Aro requires a specific Kore and a specific, and often difficult to find, Keel.  Neither of these will work with any other arm.  The Linn cut Kore will work with all Linn arms and a number of others that have been made to fit a Linn collar.  The Linn cut Keel is more limited as some arms, like the Akiro and Basik series, don't fit unless you are willing to give up your cueing device.  But many including the Ittok, all Ekos versions, the new Krane and likely a number of third party arms will work.  So you get much more upgrade flexibility using an arm with a Linn mount.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

The OP was already talking about an Akurate level TT, and a PU7 with an Adikt (or OPs MM of choice)  is actually no more expensive (probably less expensive) than the Akito 3/Karousel combination. I fully accept that if one was to put more money into this, then the PS is where to start - but that wasn't the OPs starting point - it was an Aro vs Akito 3. I think that the Akito 3 is a lot of money for what it is - personally I'd go with a used Ekos 2 and have AO service the bearings. Again, I appreciate that it is easier to say this living in the UK than on the other d=side of the Atlantic.

I'm a great believer that the first thing to sort is a nice stack of albums to listen too!

Given the other thread that the OP is running - budget shouldn't  be a problem!!

• Like 1

Perhaps the OP could go for what is known in Japan as the Akurate LP12 SE, which is an Akurate LP12 but with Akurate cased Radikal instead of the Lingo 4. I think Linn Japan looked at the Akurate LP12 and said something like "This makes no sense. Let's put a Radikal on this thing."

But if budget is no problem, then just get a Klimax LP12 and be done with it. I took 30 years to achieve Klimax level. But that was starting at age 30ish. I don't have 30 years now!

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Perhaps the OP could go for what is known in Japan as the Akurate LP12 SE, which is an Akurate LP12 but with Akurate cased Radikal instead of the Lingo 4. I think Linn Japan looked at the Akurate LP12 and said something like "This makes no sense. Let's put a Radikal on this thing."

But if budget is no problem, then just get a Klimax LP12 and be done with it. I took 30 years to achieve Klimax level. But that was starting at age 30ish. I don't have 30 years now!

I have owned an Aro since 1989.  Do all the necessary upgrades but get an Aro too. It's a great tonearm.  Plus, it also looks amazing; a museum worthy piece of industrial design.  You get used to the unipivot manual cueing very quickly but it does require a steady hand.  

The Aro doesn't do tight bass like an Ekos but for me it far excels it in smoothness, organic quality and musicality. You sacrifice a little PRAT (ugh I really hate using that acronym) but you get A LOT more soul.  Maybe it depends on what you listen to... But I love it and fiercely defend it against anything else.  

And if you don't like it, you can sell it.    Google some reviews by Martin Colloms and Art Dudley about the Aro.   

IMG_0288.jpeg

Edited by mskaye
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, Dasher said:

I'm a great believer that the first thing to sort is a nice stack of albums to listen too!

Agreed. And it doesn't have to be a big stack, but a nice selection of favourites would keep one happy for a long time. Then, added to one or two or three at a time, next thing you know.......:)

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Linn Japan aren't the only ones.  We have always felt the same thing.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Linn Japan aren't the only ones.  We have always felt the same thing.

I just looked at LInn Japan's website. At the bottom of this page, they have Klimax LP12 priced with both Urika, and Urika II. For Akurate LP12, prices are for with LIngo 4, and with Akurate Cased Radikal.

http://linn.jp/hifi-separates-turntables-complete/#klimax-lp12

I haven't added it up, but I'm sure it's a la carte pricing.

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I'm thinking that it is probably - on balance - a good thing that I did not know this when I got my Lingo 4 last year. Had I done so I'd have possibly found the difference somehow and made the jump to the ARadikal.

And then, all that I've subsequently read would have had me beating up myself for not getting the KRadikal :D.

And probably not have been able to afford Karousel which will be coming very soon :).

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Andyt916 said:

I'm thinking that it is probably - on balance - a good thing that I did not know this when I got my Lingo 4 last year. Had I done so I'd have possibly found the difference somehow and made the jump to the ARadikal.

And then, all that I've subsequently read would have had me beating up myself for not getting the KRadikal :D.

And probably not have been able to afford Karousel which will be coming very soon :).

To me, what interferes with sound quality and musical enjoyment the most is fretting about what kit you don't have, you think you need, etc. The biggest sound quality upgrade is to stop listening to the kit, and just listen to the music. Enjoy! :)

That being said, Karousel is the only exception. You definitely need that! :D

• Like 3
1 minute ago, akamatsu said:

To me, what interferes with sound quality and musical enjoyment the most is fretting about what kit you don't have, you think you need, etc. The biggest sound quality upgrade is to stop listening to the kit, and just listen to the music. Enjoy! :)

That being said, Karousel is the only exception. You definitely need that! :D

I definitely agree; it was a light-hearted comment and I certainly don't beat myself up listening to my Lingo 4-powered LP12.

Also agree about the Karousel. Non-essential shops were able to open here in the UK yesterday, so getting the Karousel booked in is second only in line to a hair cut!!! :D

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Andyt916 said:

I definitely agree; it was a light-hearted comment and I certainly don't beat myself up listening to my Lingo 4-powered LP12.

Also agree about the Karousel. Non-essential shops were able to open here in the UK yesterday, so getting the Karousel booked in is second only in line to a hair cut!!! :D

Judging from your posts here, you seem to be one who enjoys music the most. It's clear that it's definitely all about the music for you. :)

A haircut would be nice. I seem to be wearing a bass trap on my head. It's starting to alter the acoustics of my room. :D

• Like 1