Buying My First LP12

12 hours ago, Katzky said:

Never been into vinyl but the LP12 is iconic and I’d love a bit of analog in my life. Initially going for the Akurate l

That's a lot of money to spend when you presumably have no records to play at present(?)  Have you considered getting something a little less ambitious for now and spending your money on some good records?

Edited by sktn77a
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sktn77a said:

That's a lot of money to spend when you presumably have no records to play at present(?)  Have you considered getting something a little less ambitious for now and spending your money on some good records?

Come on. Don't you know that one of the joys of this forum is suggesting endless ways of telling people how to spend their money ? 

• Haha 4

On 13/04/2021 at 14:54, sktn77a said:

Maybe? Not sure if the ARO is crazy expensive. Personally I feel I’m being a bit lazy compared to the dealer trying to get me into a full Klimax LP12. That guy is ambitious.

Forunately I have easy access to a world class collection of records. I just need to make sure my system doesn’t sound better than my brother in-law’s.

One further option, if you cant find an Aro, is a Roksan SARA. I haven't actually heard a SARA myself and so can't comment on just how it compares to an Aro, but I have listened to the AO Uniarm on which the SARA is based and I found that very engaging. I missed the boat on the Uniarm, otherwise I would have bought one at the time - which is why I now have an Ekos 2. You would need to check the arm board requirements (the Uniarm definitely worked on a Linn armboard). Price wise the SARA is in the same ball park as the Akito 3 - for me that is where the comparison ends as I simply do not hear £1600 in an Akito 3.

40 minutes ago, Katzky said:

Forunately I have easy access to a world class collection of records. I just need to make sure my system doesn’t sound better than my brother in-law’s.

In that case, go for it! 

Regarding the arm, the ARO is a bit finnicky and, as ThomasOK says, will limit any future upgrades/change of heart.  I've never been a fan of the Akito - I think its grossly overpriced.  A used Ittok or Ekos would be my choice if I couldn't quite stretch to an EKOS SE.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Katzky said:

Maybe? Not sure if the ARO is crazy expensive. Personally I feel I’m being a bit lazy compared to the dealer trying to get me into a full Klimax LP12. That guy is ambitious.

Depends on how well you get on with your BIL. If that's all good and your system is better than his then he'll be coming over to you with armfuls of albums to listen to on a great system. Win-Win :D

• Like 3

On 14/04/2021 at 18:02, sktn77a said:

In that case, go for it! 

Regarding the arm, the ARO is a bit finnicky and, as ThomasOK says, will limit any future upgrades/change of heart.  I've never been a fan of the Akito - I think its grossly overpriced.  A used Ittok or Ekos would be my choice if I couldn't quite stretch to an EKOS SE.

Yes, the Naim Aro is a bit finicky and has it's quirks - no overhang adjustment so cartridge choice is limited. They go for about $2000.00 these days if you can find one.  The Aro is not a direct swap out for a gimbaled arm though - it reproduces music differently. Try and hear a comparison before you commit.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Katzky A few years ago I went thru this very same exercise when purchasing my first LP12. Along with my dealer, I used this and the previous Linn forum for advice and ideas. from other members. My first bit of advice is to make sure you keep it this fun and not worry yourself about making the right choice. You will see many varied opinions but at that end of the day go with what you feel is right.

That being said here are my thoughts

1. After much deliberation I went with an Akurate LP12 with and Radikal Akurate power supply. We called this the Akurate Plus. This turned out to be a good choice and was before the Karousel was available.
  2. Prior to this choice, once I knew I was getting an LP12, I worked with the aforementioned Chris Harban on a custom fluted plinth. This took a long time and added months to the process but was well worth it. I had not heard Chris had stopped making them and feel fortunate to have one. They are very nice.
  3. Lived with this till the Karousel was released. Traded in the Akito 3B for an Ekos SE and then received the free Karousel. Added the Urika-II while I was as it.
  4. Had considered the Naim Aro but quickly dismissed due to availability, design, sub chassis requirements and so on. This is what my dealer uses on his personal TT but happy with the Linn offerings.

Very happy with everything. I think the advice from @ThomasOK on a Majik LP12 with an Akurate power supply would also be a good plan but at the end of the day I feel the Radikal Akurate LP12 with Radikal Akurate PS is the way to go. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, macfan said:

@Katzky A few years ago I went thru this very same exercise when purchasing my first LP12. Along with my dealer, I used this and the previous Linn forum for advice and ideas. from other members. My first bit of advice is to make sure you keep it this fun and not worry yourself about making the right choice. You will see many varied opinions but at that end of the day go with what you feel is right.

1. After much deliberation I went with an Akurate LP12 with and Radikal Akurate power supply. We called this the Akurate Plus. This turned out to be a good choice and was before the Karousel was available.
  2. Prior to this choice, once I knew I was getting an LP12, I worked with the aforementioned Chris Harban on a custom fluted plinth. This took a long time and added months to the process but was well worth it. I had not heard Chris had stopped making them and feel fortunate to have one. They are very nice.
  3. Lived with this till the Karousel was released. Traded in the Akito 3B for an Ekos SE and then received the free Karousel. Added the Urika-II while I was as it.
  4. Had considered the Naim Aro but quickly dismissed due to availability, design, sub chassis requirements and so on. This is what my dealer uses on his personal TT but happy with the Linn offerings.

Very happy with everything. I think the advice from @ThomasOK on a Majik LP12 with an Akurate power supply would also be a good plan but at the end of the day I feel the Radikal Akurate LP12 with Radikal Akurate PS is the way to go. 

Given where I am on my LP12 "journey", I am loving hearing about others' upgrade paths. So much "food for thought".

• Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 17:16, Katzky said:

a good assessment of the Aro

https://zstereo.co.uk/2014/06/01/1518/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mskaye said:

a good assessment of the Aro

https://zstereo.co.uk/2014/06/01/1518/

Thanks for the link. Now I can show my wife I’m considered sophisticated on some level.

15 hours ago, macfan said:

I think my plan is the Urika phono stage and Radikal power supply bolted onto the Majik LP12 with a koetsu mc cartridge. I’ll take the entry level tone arm and forgo the keel until I can figure out if the ARO is a reasonable approach. Just spoke with a dealer here in California who sold two in past few days. He told me the Ekos SE was better but I think I convinced him that ARO has a value beyond its musical capabilities. So I guess I’ll have like a Frankenstein LP12 until I get it sorted.

My brother in law is kind enough to bring his LP12 to my home so I can listen to it through my current system before I fully commit. He made a good point that my cats might cause some havoc. Is it possible to play records with the lid on? Would make it a less interesting target for these trouble makers.

On 16/04/2021 at 20:30, mskaye said:

Yes, the Naim Aro is a bit finicky and has it's quirks - no overhang adjustment so cartridge choice is limited. They go for about $2000.00 these days if you can find one.  The Aro is not a direct swap out for a gimbaled arm though - it reproduces music differently. Try and hear a comparison before you commit.  

Will koetsu cartridges fit? 

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878604986865&coid=159503632588890

Some useful info here about cartridges and the Aro.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katzky said:

Thanks for the link. Now I can show my wife I’m considered sophisticated on some level.

PS - I always heard that the Aro was named because... its sort of shaped like an arrow!