Buying My First LP12

1 hour ago, mskaye said:

PS - I always heard that the Aro was named because... its sort of shaped like an arrow!  

I always heard that the tubing for the arm wand was supplied by an arrow manufacturer.

’troll

On 19/04/2021 at 07:23, Katzky said:

I think my plan is the Urika phono stage and Radikal power supply bolted onto the Majik LP12 with a koetsu mc cartridge. I’ll take the entry level tone arm and forgo the keel until I can figure out if the ARO is a reasonable approach. Just spoke with a dealer here in California who sold two in past few days. He told me the Ekos SE was better but I think I convinced him that ARO has a value beyond its musical capabilities. So I guess I’ll have like a Frankenstein LP12 until I get it sorted.

My brother in law is kind enough to bring his LP12 to my home so I can listen to it through my current system before I fully commit. He made a good point that my cats might cause some havoc. Is it possible to play records with the lid on? Would make it a less interesting target for these trouble makers.

While you seem enamored of the Aro you let yourself in for even more difficulties than a Keel upgrade if you switch to that arm later.  The Urika has a permanently attached cable (wires soldered directly to the MC phono boards) that ends in a plug that fits the pillar in Linn arms.  The Aro uses it's own very unique cable and has a connector from the arm to another mounted in the armboard, neither of which are compatible with the Urika.  An Aro can be made to work with a Urika but it requires either chopping up the stock Naim Aro cable or finding another of the connectors that fit in the armboard.  Either way it also requires some pretty fine soldering skills to wed the Aro connector to the wires that have to first be unsoldered from the Linn plug.  I have worked on this kind of setup and did have a quite satisfied customer, but I have also seen it done in a way I would never be comfortable with.  Note that customer replaced the Aro with an Ekos SE/1 on his main now full Klimax LP12,  but with Lejonklou Entity 1.1 MC phono stage, and has been very happy with it since.  His Aro is still in use with restored original cable on his second LP12 with a Krystal and second Entity 1.1.  Both have Radikal, Keel and Karousel and Movingui plinths by Chris Harban.  Both do sound quite good.

Just a bit to think about when considering an Aro.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

While you seem enamored of the Aro you let yourself in for even more difficulties than a Keel upgrade if you switch to that arm later.  The Urika has a permanently attached cable (wires soldered directly to the MC phono boards) that ends in a plug that fits the pillar in Linn arms.  The Aro uses it's own very unique cable and has a connector from the arm to another mounted in the armboard, neither of which are compatible with the Urika.  An Aro can be made to work with a Urika but it requires either chopping up the stock Naim Aro cable or finding another of the connectors that fit in the armboard.  Either way it also requires some pretty fine soldering skills to wed the Aro connector to the wires that have to first be unsoldered from the Linn plug.  I have worked on this kind of setup and did have a quite satisfied customer, but I have also seen it done in a way I would never be comfortable with.  Note that customer replaced the Aro with an Ekos SE/1 on his main now full Klimax LP12,  but with Lejonklou Entity 1.1 MC phono stage, and has been very happy with it since.  His Aro is still in use with restored original cable on his second LP12 with a Krystal and second Entity 1.1.  Both have Radikal, Keel and Karousel and Movingui plinths by Chris Harban.  Both do sound quite good.

Just a bit to think about when considering an Aro.

Yikes. That makes it extremely complicated.  Perhaps the Aro needs to be excluded from serious discussion these days unless you are un-Kored, un-Keeled and un-Urika'd.

• Like 2

Kore isn't a problem, except that you would have to change it if you went to another arm, just as you would with an Aro Keel.  But, yeah, the Urikas don't make it any easier.

• Like 1

If the OP really wants the ARO, which I think look lovely,  an option is perhaps a prefix but then you also need at least a hicap power supply for it. I had the prefix on my LP12 admittedly with troika/Ekos 1 and do rate it.