6 hours ago, Jazz Kisaten said:

I subscribe to the "source first" philosophy (or else I wouldn't be here :)) with 2 caveats: AC power is the first "source" and transducers have more audible effect all other things kept relatively even.  This is based on many years/decades of expensive trial and error.  It's only an N=1 and subjective experience. So take it as one person's opinion not a declaration of absolute truth.

Were I advising someone how to prioritize building a quality sound system I would urge them to begin by cleaning up the energy that flows through the entire musical reproductive process.  My experience is that poor quality AC muffles, strangles and distorts everything that is downstream.  It robs one of the full benefits of what they have paid for their equipment.  This becomes more true as one climbs the equipment price/performance curve where incremental benefits cost increasing sums of money.  

Some of my biggest aha moments have come from improvements in AC power delivery (dedicated electrical runs, reasonable power conditioning and high quality power cables.)  Only after taking care of these things was I able to hear how truly awesome an LP12 can be.  I believe my experiences are consonant with Linn philosophy e.g. the cartridge is only as good as that which precedes it and enables the cartridge to do its job to the best of its designed ability.  

My hierarchy is AC power>LP12 (power supply>bearing>subchassis>armboard>arm>cartridge>cable), speakers (the transducer thing which I will ignore here)> phono stage> preamp> amplifier> sound cables.

You forgot to mention (in the hierarchy) the vinyl in the first positions: bad record = bad sound, apart from the rest 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll take it a big step farther.  Klimax LP12 into a Rega io integrated amp into your choice of $400 a pair speakers (I'd pick PSB Alpha P5 but I don't know about worldwide availability and pricing) w

I’d go for Klimax LP12 into Akurate Hub/DSM Come to think of it that is what I did. I did economise with Akurate Radikal & Krystal and not Karousel’d yet, but I really like what I have. Impor

First off I didn't say you could use garbage speakers, there is a difference between a well chosen, musical $400 pair of speakers and a lot of the junk out there.  As to the rest of it, I also know wh

3 minutes ago, Matteo said:

You forgot to mention (in the hierarchy) the vinyl in the first positions: bad record = bad sound, apart from the rest 

Got me there. You are correct.  But things start getting weird fast.  I will buy used records completely unheard if I admire the recording engineer.

3 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Let's put a fork in this one. I think we all agree to disagree. I'm going back to listen to my $ 2000 CD player through my $3000 amp and $4000 speakers.   

16 minutes ago, mskaye said:

Let's put a fork in this one. I think we all agree to disagree. I'm going back to listen to my $ 2000 CD player through my $3000 amp and $4000 speakers.   

Agreed.  Sounds like a reasonably balanced system. ;) 

4 hours ago, Matteo said:

This is the most accurate post of the lot, IMO. The number of truly excellent records from a music and SQ perspective is seemingly quite limited. Which is perhaps the biggest problem we face in the analog realm. IME there are a large number of ok records with great music but marginal SQ, a large number with both poor SQ and music and a number of records with poor music and ok SQ. But when it comes to hierarchy, like Matteo posts...bad record=bad sound...and there is NO way of getting around that I know of. 

Edited by Daveyf
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Matteo said:

Playing the exact same record, a system with a good turntable and mediocre amps and speakers, will out perform a system with a mediocre turntable and good amps and speakers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Playing the exact same record, a system with a good turntable and mediocre amps and speakers, will out perform a system with a mediocre turntable and good amps and speakers.

I agree with that point.  I will say however, that what constitutes a bad record or a bad sounding record is a subjective thing.  Playing a Diana Krall LP on an Akurate LP12 or a crappy Crowley is still a miserable experience for me despite its supposed audiophile recording quality.  So Akamatsu is correct - I would probably be even more miserable listening to her on an LP12.  

Edited by mskaye
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1