Thoughts on using a PC PSU for powering an Rpi4

Hi all,

I've put together a streaming system based on an RPi 4 and Khadas Toneboard. I've housed those and a balanced RCA converter  in a repurposed HTPC case because I can fit both PSU's inside the case.

What are your thought on using an older but new PC PSU to replace both PSU's inside the case? I'll be using one 12v rail for the converter and a 5v rail for the RPi, the voltages are good on @ 12.03 volt and 4.92v respectively and the current rating should be plenty.  the PSU has a healthy 430w output.

Any idea if the PSU supply this will be 'noisier' regarding power output or just stick with the RPi generic PSU? Some think that having a cleaner mains supply can improve the Pi but is the PC PSU better than the Pi PSU? 

Antec Neo HE 430 power supply

Antec.PNG.3056af85d7c021190d8f4202bd33990e.PNG

Antec1.PNG.bc072d6a1045f4c9da55f945621c4357.PNG

I would be cautious. Does it have a minimum load requirement, and consider fusing the outputs, over 30 amps at 12 volts....., and probably very noisy.

Edited by dave
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, dave said:

I would be cautious. Does it have a minimum load requirement, and consider fusing the outputs, over 30 amps at 12 volts....., and probably very noisy.

Ah - didn't think about the minimum load, can't find anything mentioning that. I plan on fusing the outputs but like you've pointed out for the sake of convenience I don't want to add a noisier power supply because that's what I want to improve!

Thanks for your input Dave.

OK, just found that the minimum load is 0.5A across all rails including ATX, this in theory is good news as the RPi4 pulls around 2.5/3A and the PSU for the balanced DA is 2.5A, reading as much as I can find the PSU is in high regard regarding power, close tolerance, negligible ripple, the plot thickens....

Edited by Strider

Unless it’s substantially quieter then any other fan-cooled PSU I’ve ever heard, the mechanical noise alone would rule it out for me if it’s in the listening room. 

• Upvote 1

I've got a couple of spare ones in the heap somewhere. I can't say I'll try one, because I'll never get round to it. Mechanical noise may be an issue, though modern ones are variable fan and the one in my desktop is near silent. Electrical noise I would imagine likely to be more of an issue. A smooth waveform and PSRR seem probably pretty unimortant in a computer build. I would imagine fast response to current demand and voltage stability will be critical. Judging by the apalling amount of noise on the 5V USB output on my desktop, I can't imagie the actual supply is any better.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses gents, the Antec PSU was silent in operation, the independent test results show a maximum SPL of 31db on full tilt! The jury's still out on how 'clean' the output voltage is but hey, I'm going to at least exercise  my Frankenstein fancies.

Watch this space (smoke alarms at the ready.)

"  At lower output levels, the Neo HE is one of the quietest power supplies we’ve
heard. The reported 20 dBA@1m was actually so close to the ambient level in our lab
that it is difficult to judge whether it would measure less in a quieter room.
The fan is both quiet and smooth at this level."

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Strider said:

Thanks for the responses gents, the Antec PSU was silent in operation, the independent test results show a maximum SPL of 31db on full tilt! The jury's still out on how 'clean' the output voltage is but hey, I'm going to at least exercise  my Frankenstein fancies.

Watch this space (smoke alarms at the ready.)

"  At lower output levels, the Neo HE is one of the quietest power supplies we’ve
heard. The reported 20 dBA@1m was actually so close to the ambient level in our lab
that it is difficult to judge whether it would measure less in a quieter room.
The fan is both quiet and smooth at this level."

That’s impressively quiet - if it’s below the ambient noise floor (even at 1m) then little point in worrying.

• Like 1