DH Labs Glass Master

Anyone any experience with this toslink at all?

No, but I couldn't really hear any difference between a cheapie Amazon Toslink cable and the Van Den Hul Optocoupler cable in my system (tried from Audio Synthesis disc transport to A/V receiver and Squeezebox Touch to Audio Synthesis Dax Discrete). YMMV.

• Like 1

I tried a cheaper glass optical cable and thought it was better than the Amazon one but glass cables are quite fragile, in tests many of the fibre were broken. So I've got a coax one now I use and it's sounds as good. 

Are you buying new and can return? 

• Like 1

I am waiting for some feedback before i pull the trigger or not.  I have the Chord and its very good. Bought another on recommendation..cheap...not as good. There are definitely differences in the sq. in my system , toslink is much better than the 75 ohm digital cable i have used..three to be precise. Or maybe i need some better digital cable. Time will tell.

59 minutes ago, m7rso said:

I am waiting for some feedback before i pull the trigger or not.  I have the Chord and its very good. Bought another on recommendation..cheap...not as good. There are definitely differences in the sq. in my system , toslink is much better than the 75 ohm digital cable i have used..three to be precise. Or maybe i need some better digital cable. Time will tell.

It's weird. For a long time. I used a Van Den Hul Optocoupler Toslink cable between my Squeezebox and Audio Synthesis as I had concluded that it sounded better than any of my coaxial digital cables. They weren't cheap Coaxial cables either, I have an Audio Synthesis Triax and a £100 Van Den Hul.

Only in recent times did I decide to try Coaxial again and I now prefer the AS triax to Toslink. I honestly don't know why my preference has changed, I think the frequency balance of my system may have possibly changed and the Coaxial cable now results in a more neutral balance than Toslink.

I know where you are comin

On 15/04/2021 at 17:56, Gizza said:

It's weird. For a long time. I used a Van Den Hul Optocoupler Toslink cable between my Squeezebox and Audio Synthesis as I had concluded that it sounded better than any of my coaxial digital cables. They weren't cheap Coaxial cables either, I have an Audio Synthesis Triax and a £100 Van Den Hul.

Only in recent times did I decide to try Coaxial again and I now prefer the AS triax to Toslink. I honestly don't know why my preference has changed, I think the frequency balance of my system may have possibly changed and the Coaxial cable now results in a more neutral balance than Toslink.

On 15/04/2021 at 17:56, Gizza said:

I know where you are coming from, i was never an optical user at all, it was never right. Somehow it just works, and works extremely well between cd and dac.

I have been doing some listening today with my new streamer and compared digital RCA cables again. Wow, the Van Den Hul Triaxial Professional 75 is easily the best of my digital cables. When I connected it up, having first used the Audio Synthesis Triax,  the bass tightened up and I was hearing deeper bass notes, everything on the recording was clearer and more realistic, dynamics are better. I reckon if the impedance isn't right on a digital RCA cable, you will probably prefer toslink BUT you will get a better result with an RCA cable made to strict tolerance levels. Van Den Hul also do the 'Digicoupler 75' which is a bit more expensive and was the top of the range. It still might be. I would be interested to hear just how it would improve on my model. I just looked on Ebay and both models can be picked up 2nd hand.