2 hours ago, It Cost How Much!?! said:

What is the preamp?

That's the thing I am looking to find one :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It may be useful to understand what "balanced"  actually means. It means that the signal and return lines have a balanced ie equal impedance to ground. When this happens any noise pick up will be equa

Simple answer - not really. It would be a balanced version of a single ended signal, which is balanced but also isn’t.

Simple question for a simple person  If I have a preamp with both single ended and balanced inputs and outputs would I need to have a balanced input to get a true balanced output or if the input was s

2 minutes ago, mr.me said:

That's the thing I am looking to find one :)

You know that Krell you had...

Posted (edited)

It only had single ended inputs and I'm not sure that the outputs were true differentially balanced

Still prefer tubes :)

How you doin' Bob hope you are keeping well.

Edited by mr.me

The balanced outputs on my dac into the balanced on my integrated sound much better. But then they should as they're a lot louder

Some of those variable transformer passive preamps from the likes of Stephens and Billingtons offer transformer balanced outputs iirc. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lawrence001 said:

The balanced outputs on my dac into the balanced on my integrated sound much better. But then they should as they're a lot louder emoji6.png

What if you level-match?

My DAC let's me adjust/match the output level of both outputs but my amplifier only has a single single-ended input.

Edited by tuga
What if you level-match?
My DAC let's me adjust/match the output level of both outputs but my amplifier only has a single single-ended input.
I tried but it still sounded better. I don't have a dB volume control so had to do it by ear.

Knowing all about the effects of slight volume differences on dynamics and "drive", I wouldn't want to put it down to balanced sounding inherently better.
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, mr.me said:

It only had single ended inputs and I'm not sure that the outputs were true differentially balanced

Still prefer tubes :)

How you doin' Bob hope you are keeping well.

All is well, pop over when you have time. I have a spare Krell KRC3 if you want to try out your theory.