Linn Helpdesk — Experts in Fobbing You Off

Hello Linn enthusiasts,

Over the years my exchanges with the Linn Helpdesk have left much to be desired, but somehow the last two take the biscuit.

Just before Xmas 2020 my Linn DSM blew a gasket, so I called the Linn telephone number and was told outright that Linn categorically did not do repairs. I was at a total loss. It was helpful members on this forum who set that untruth to rest and pointed me in the right direction. (I'm still thankful to those helpful members.)

Now, again I contacted the helpdesk to ask why it is that I can search my classical music collection for a composer using Audirvana and Lumin and get results whereas on the Linn (iOS) app or Kazoo, nothing is returned at all. I was told that it was my media server not supplying this info. It's the same music collection where the music is tagged using 'Composer' and the same media server. Audirvana and Lumin are test cases. This is a limitation of the Linn control points. I suggest that it is routine at Linn to lay the blame elsewhere. It's always iOS, or Airplay, or the NAS, or the media server. It's never Linn.

Linn have just released a new Klimax, costing a whopping £30k. Plenty of people don't have that deposit amount for a property. For equipment that is this eye-wateringly expensive, providing software that is this shambolic is a farcical, laughable, absurd situation. As it the culture of fobbing customers off. It's contemptuous.

Am I alone in my misery or have others received short shrift? Have I simply been unlucky?

Q

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you have had a difficult experience with Linn.

‘I have owned Linn products for more than 20 years, and have been well treated by the Linn Help Line, and by Linn in General.

‘If I had an issue with any of my Linn speakers or electronics, my Linn dealer has contacted Linn on my behalf and resolved the issue.

When I contact Colin at the Linn Help Line, I have had a satisfactory response back from him in a reasonable time.

‘My first piece of Linn was a Movie Classik, that it turned out was not fully compatible with my Toshiba TV. Linn did not have a solution at the time, but working with the Linn distributor, I received a call, from the distributor that Linn had a solution. They sent me a brand new Movie Classik that worked brilliantly.

‘My Unidisk SC laser needed to be replaced, and was sent off to the repair depot. It arrived back at my dealer with a deep scratch on the casework. Linn dispatched a new case cover quickly and it was replaced. I credit the good working relationship I have  with my Linn dealer and with Linn.

‘I hope you get the issue resolved

Never had a bad experience with the Linn staff. They were always helpful and responded in a timely fashion.

But regarding the Composer feature, it doesn't work for me either.

Nothing returned in Linn iOS if I do a search for "Mozart" and filter for "Composers". It does, however, get listed under "Artists".

Well.

Seems buggy (or I guess it only works properly with Kazoo Server, but I'm using Minimserver).

Currently several Linn customers are having a difficult time. Personally I have been waiting since Mid January for my Klimax Hub to be repaired - or a confirmation what the status is to start with. Same is true for a couple of other customers I know and for my dealer as well, who is not receiving new stuff.

A couple of people have ordered Akurate DSMs and have been waiting so far for weeks without any response. Their dealer is at a loss as well and even offered to cancel the order and refund the payment (Linn BTW seems to require pre-payment now, at least from this dealer).

All of which doesn’t sound to good...

Edited by Baba Yaga
  • Upvote 1

Whenever I've needed service involving Linn, I've always worked directly with the dealers. They deal with HQ and as dealers, they probably get a better response. When I had the problem with my Akubariks being mislabeled, the dealer got a response from Linn almost immediately. I think Linn would rather the customers contact the dealers. Some issues can be resolved in store. Others require escalation to HQ.

• Like 3

I am not sure of Quasimodos location but for a period due to the Brexit customs disaster Linn were not repairing any items from the EU. I suspect they have found a way round that now. Equally most manufacturing firms shut down for at least  weeks over Christmas in the UK so likely Linn were shut too. I have always found Colin and Richard to be extremely helpful. 

A lot of Linn owners use Roon rather than the Linn app. It is pretty cheap versus the price of a Linn system and well worth the money. I don't know whether it would solve your composer issue (as I rarely listen to classical music) but most likely it would.

CJ

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Whenever I've needed service involving Linn, I've always worked directly with the dealers. They deal with HQ and as dealers, they probably get a better response. When I had the problem with my Akubariks being mislabeled, the dealer got a response from Linn almost immediately. I think Linn would rather the customers contact the dealers. Some issues can be resolved in store. Others require escalation to HQ.

Yep, always dealer first is my recommendation too. Anything requiring return to HQ has to be arranged through a dealer anyway - they have to obtain prior authorisation and an RSN. I sympathise with Baba Yaga, that is a long time and, I expect, a symptom of Brexit unfortunately.

’troll

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quasimodo said:

Hello Linn enthusiasts,

Over the years my exchanges with the Linn Helpdesk have left much to be desired, but somehow the last two take the biscuit.

Just before Xmas 2020 my Linn DSM blew a gasket, so I called the Linn telephone number and was told outright that Linn categorically did not do repairs. I was at a total loss. It was helpful members on this forum who set that untruth to rest and pointed me in the right direction. (I'm still thankful to those helpful members.)

Now, again I contacted the helpdesk to ask why it is that I can search my classical music collection for a composer using Audirvana and Lumin and get results whereas on the Linn (iOS) app or Kazoo, nothing is returned at all. I was told that it was my media server not supplying this info. It's the same music collection where the music is tagged using 'Composer' and the same media server. Audirvana and Lumin are test cases. This is a limitation of the Linn control points. I suggest that it is routine at Linn to lay the blame elsewhere. It's always iOS, or Airplay, or the NAS, or the media server. It's never Linn.

Linn have just released a new Klimax, costing a whopping £30k. Plenty of people don't have that deposit amount for a property. For equipment that is this eye-wateringly expensive, providing software that is this shambolic is a farcical, laughable, absurd situation. As it the culture of fobbing customers off. It's contemptuous.

Am I alone in my misery or have others received short shrift? Have I simply been unlucky?

Q

You are not alone.

I spent more than a new NGKDSM in Linn products over the years.

After swithcing to Qobuz from Tidal, I noticed that, with both the Kazoo and Linn (iOS) apps, I cannot organize my favorite Qobuz albums for artists (they are shown only for the latest additions). This is quite annoying.

In addition, the search functionality of the apps not only searches in my favorite albums, but in the entire Qobuz catalog. This is almost useless.

I asked Linn many times during the last year to solve this Qobuz issues and their answer was always the same:

"I can advise that there has not been any progress on these issues as yet.  As advised previously, these are classed as low priority".

Frankly, I find that insulting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quasimodo said:

I’ve always found the helpline prompt and helpful, but I completely agree that the apps are a disgrace and quite unfit for a used Sneaky DS, in terms of user friendliness, never mind for the new Klimax. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear that Matteo, old man. I have to say, I'd be mighty annoyed, too. It's all very well using a federated search across sources, but you need to be able to restrict it to selected sources, too.

I appreciate that we can try to be practical and opt for Lumin or Roon or an alternative, but it doesn't address the issue that Linn doesn't seem to care an iota about this customer touch point. Using Linn control software is an exercise in accepting futility or restriction, or at best, playing something through gritted teeth after swearing because you can't find what you're looking for. That's inexcusable. Not at those prices. 

Perhaps it really is time to ditch and switch.

The help line has always replied to me within a reasonable amount of time. Don't forget they are just coming out of lockdown, so have been working remotely for quite a while. 

Roon becomes a lot more expensive when comparing it to prices of used Linn gear. 

@Quasimodo I think your problem needs to be solved by the dealer who sold you your kit. I somewhat understand the search issue, however I’m not sure if it’s something to grind your teeth about.

In a broader sense I don’t understand all the complaints about the control apps, it does what it needs to do for 90% namely starting your music. You can ditch your DS off course, but I would not want to swap free and free updates of space optimisation for fancy search options.

Edited by Pennypacker
  • Like 2

I can confirm, as a mainly classical listener, that Roon is a pleasure to use, and also often provides programme notes on the music. I can’t say whether it’s worth it for you, but I’m not regretting my lifetime licence (it was cheaper when I bought it).

3 hours ago, Quasimodo said:

I'm sorry to hear that Matteo, old man. I have to say, I'd be mighty annoyed, too. It's all very well using a federated search across sources, but you need to be able to restrict it to selected sources, too.

I appreciate that we can try to be practical and opt for Lumin or Roon or an alternative, but it doesn't address the issue that Linn doesn't seem to care an iota about this customer touch point. Using Linn control software is an exercise in accepting futility or restriction, or at best, playing something through gritted teeth after swearing because you can't find what you're looking for. That's inexcusable. Not at those prices. 

Perhaps it really is time to ditch and switch.

Sorry that isn’t fair Linn has spent a lot of time designing front ends not to every ones taste